Gibson Brands Forums

December 8, 1980

Just Strum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a senior in high school when he died, and a huge Beatles fan. I was devastated.

If he was alive today, he'd be writing his third straight album full of songs *****ing about how much he's paying Yoko in alimony and child support.

Aside from my own shock and horror that day, I was particularly struck by the reaction of my supervisor at the time. He was a big ruddy Irish/American from the rough, working-class Port Richmond neighborhood of Philly - a person who I least expected to give a hoot. He couldn't hold back the tears. I then realized how big a deal John's murder was.

Trashing John Lennon's memory has become something of a cottage industry. The allegations made in this new book seem marginally less atrocious given the fact that Lennon was not raised by his parents. If he had lusted for Aunt Mimi' date=' then I'd be concerned.[/quote']

Yeah, we love to build them up (beyond all recognition) then tear them down/apart! Humans!..."Not Logical,

Captain!"

Given John's complexity, the age he was (14, when hormones are raging) when this "alleged" incident and fantasy took place, and his mother seeming more like a close, trusted friend...and how he would (often) seem to verbalize his every thought, and damn the consequences....I don't really think it's any big deal.

There are all kinds of studies, papers, theories, even historical accounts of/on "incest" mother/son, father/daughter thing. Many, in fact, seem to play out in "real" life...more than we might have imagined. I'm not condoning it, obviously, but it happens. He didn't really Do anything, apparently. So, the social, religious, or other taboos must have "worked," in his case. All people are complicated...in so many ways! We've seen some of that, here. John,

obviously was, as well...and loved to "push the envelope," in most every way.

Anyway...that "revelation," does nothing to diminish his "worth," to me. "He who is without sin, cast the first stone,"

and all that...

CB

Reading a lot of books about the Beatles and a few on John Lennon makes me think he has been a bum...but a very bright bum. For myself, John Lennon could have done wathever he did, he's not my body..he's my Idol and for all the music he did he will always be the greatest of all. For the rest of his actions...it was his life and I really don't care.

The only thing that makes me a little bit sad, it's his relation with his son Julian....

By the way, I was 28 when he got shot...and I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing...when I heard the sad news.

He was certainly damaged goods, insecure, short tempered, a bit sociopathic, etc. His actions toward his first wife and his son were not laudable. But he did generally feel bad and apologize when he hurt people. I don't know how I would handle going from being a nobody to someone that popular in just a few years.

Archived