Gibson Brands Forums

December 8, 1980

Just Strum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I've been thinking about this, all day....and I'm STILL PISSED OFF, about it! Such a waste, in so many ways! I guess,

if he'd "passed away," due to illness or even (God forbid) by his own recklessness...that would still

be tragic...BUT, to be murdered, by some deranged "fan?" Sorry, that's just SICK!

Dimebag Darrell was murdered, on this day, too. All he was doing, was playing a gig, to

bring his music, to those that loved it, as well. So, what's up with that?

Sad day!

CB

Dimebag Darrell was murdered' date=' on this day, too. All he was doing, was playing a gig, to

bring his music, to those that loved it, as well. So, what's up with that?

Sad day!

CB[/quote']

Yeah, that was dreadful, his security guard was killed trying to stop him. Unfortunately some people are lunatics. It's a sad fact of life.

Let's be honest, John would have had a few more interesting songs, and that's it. Just look at Paul, The Stones, The Who...has anything spectacular come from them in the past twenty years?

One thing on the music end is that John would definitely have been a Traveling Wilbury. I miss that a lot. Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Dylan, George, and John....WOW!

The thing that is really missed is John's outgoing personality, his sense of humor, his commentary on what's going on. Regardless of what music he was making, he was a great celebrity to have around. Personable and opinionated -- no celebrity is like that at all today. Plus, living in New York it was always cool to know that you might one day just bump into John walking around. New York City just isn't the same without him.

Let's be honest' date=' John would have had a few more interesting songs, and that's it. Just look at Paul, The Stones, The Who...has anything spectacular come from them in the past twenty years?

One thing on the music end is that John would definitely have been a Traveling Wilbury. I miss that a lot. Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Dylan, George, and John....WOW!

The thing that is really missed is John's outgoing personality, his sense of humor, his commentary on what's going on. Regardless of what music he was making, he was a great celebrity to have around. Personable and opinionated -- no celebrity is like that at all today. Plus, living in New York it was always cool to know that you might one day just bump into John walking around. New York City just isn't the same without him.

[/quote']

Well, I think...just because of John's nature, he'd WOULD have had more than a "few more interesting songs,"

as he pushed the envelope, a lot more often, than the others....save maybe George. As to "spectacular" music

from your mentioned bands/musicians...that's always subject to discussion/personal tastes, and in the context

of the time it's produced. I happen to like what Paul's done, but in the context of what HE always did, really.

There will never BE another "Beatles," or probably even another group where ALL the individuals made such a

phenomenal "whole!" But...I (personally) think John would have done a LOT! But, of course, we'll never know!!!

Thanks, to F...ing MDC!

CB

Do you think when John died God was waiting for him and said "So what was that comment you said about the Beatles being more popular?" As John would stumble over his words God looks at him and says "Oh don't worry about it, it doesn't mean ****"

Sorry to any extremely religious people that take offense, but my God has a sense of humor.

Guest alanhindle

I'm not a Beatles fan but I would say, as on onlooker, that he was the Beatle with all the talent.

My theory is based solely upon what he released as a solo artist (Imagine, Jealous Guy, Happy Xmas War is Over etc.) These songs have truly stood the test of time as opposed to tracks like 'Ooooooooooh ooooooohh ooooooohhh Jet!'. OK, I like Live and Let Die.

Alan

I'm not a Beatles fan but I would say' date=' as on onlooker, that he was the Beatle with all the talent.

My theory is based solely upon what he released as a solo artist (Imagine, Jealous Guy, Happy Xmas War is Over etc.) These songs have truly stood the test of time as opposed to tracks like 'Ooooooooooh ooooooohh ooooooohhh Jet!'. OK, I like Live and Let Die.

Alan[/quote']

He did record some wonderful stuff solo. But then he also recorded Oh Yoko, thereby proving that no-one is immune to periodic lapses in taste...

But he didn't have a monopoly on talent in the Beatles. Go and find a copy of All things must pass....

Guest alanhindle
I'm not a Beatles fan but I would say' date=' as on onlooker, that he was the Beatle with all the talent.

Alan[/quote']

Oh yeh, and when the song needed it he had that gruff, yet melodic, grit to his voice which I like too. I admire a singer who has power in their voice.

I think these types of singers lose this ability as they get older and their voice deepens (I'm thinking early to mid 1970s Gene Simmons compared to later) so maybe things wouldn't be the same if Lennon were around now.

It was 28 years ago today that John Lennon passed away.? I was a little surprised not to see a thread (unless I missed it).

"passed away" is understating it a wee bit, no ??? He was freaking murdered !!!! Not natural causes, not self inflicted, some touch-hole decided to off him in cold blood....... R.I.P. John.....

John Lennon was a loss but how many artists who were inspired by him would not be here if he were still alive? For me at least, somebody has more of an impact if their dead than they do if their alive. I kinda feel like we should be carrying on the legacy instead of moping about his loss. I'm not saying its bad to commemorate his life, I'm just saying we should stop beating ourselves up about it and just move on do what John would've wanted: to carry his legacy on.

GC

From Julian Lennon's website -

Today...

Current mood: Warm

Folks, Thank you for your kind words and support regarding today's date, but my heart does not ache today, nor will it break today. Today is just another day, just as any other. In fact, the sun is shiing and it's a beautiful fresh winter's day and a beautiful day to be alive!

Something very sad happened many years ago on this date, but I don't live and breath this date the same way many of you do. I appreciate your intentions and your prayers, but I refuse to be saddened this day, or by any other memorial day. I glimpse back over my shoulder on days like these, only to thank those that have gone before, with a wink and a smile and appreciate what went before and what I have learned from everyone and everything that has influenced my life in positive ways. So, I wish each and every one of you a warm embrace of positivity for the future and a wink and a smile to the good times and good people that I have past. It's a beautiful day to be alive.

I wish you all well..

xx Julian

From Julian Lennon's website -

Today...

Current mood: Warm

Folks' date=' Thank you for your kind words and support regarding today's date, but my heart does not ache today, nor will it break today. Today is just another day, just as any other. In fact, the sun is shiing and it's a beautiful fresh winter's day and a beautiful day to be alive!

Something very sad happened many years ago on this date, but I don't live and breath this date the same way many of you do. I appreciate your intentions and your prayers, but I refuse to be saddened this day, or by any other memorial day. I glimpse back over my shoulder on days like these, only to thank those that have gone before, with a wink and a smile and appreciate what went before and what I have learned from everyone and everything that has influenced my life in positive ways. So, I wish each and every one of you a warm embrace of positivity for the future and a wink and a smile to the good times and good people that I have past. It's a beautiful day to be alive.

I wish you all well..

xx Julian[/quote']

I met Julian about eleven years ago after one of his gigs in a VERY small local venue and he spent twenty minutes with me just chatting and probably would have stood there talking to me for as long as I wanted had I not excused myself. Very genuine and honest person and also very talented in his own right...He was using a black Yamaha jumbo that night that I had recognized from an old photo of John playing it and asked him about it... he said..."yeah, that was "Dad's"...when he said "Dad's" and the look in his eyes it really struck me..That was real...No, this is the time when all the dreamers who think they have some insight into Lennon can sit and pretend that they have a grasp and feel all broken up because they've lived their lives vicariously through some pop star they were never closer to than a printed word or a photograph to but now like to wax romantically on how close they were to this person they had no clue about and now he's gone blah blah blah...Julian actually sustained the loss and has moved on without the sissy boy melodrama some here seem to love to revel in...It was a drag...it was tragic...it was grim...it's over Move on.

Nelson

LOL! Never one to mince words, Nelson. You should start a talk radio program or TV show! ;>)

And yes, I am still pissed, about Lennon's murder...28 years later, but I certainly DON'T dwell on it...only

when it's brought up, on this day, mostly. I have always preferred to remember his music, wit and humor, and humanity.

As to "insight" into Lennon...none of us have a clue, save what HE wanted us to see. And, unless we've had a parent or other loved one "murdered," we won't know Julian's pain, either. But,we DO know how WE feel, sad, pathetic or rediculous as it may be, to you or others, about how John made US feel with his music, wit and humor/humanity. That's all... I'm sure we've all "moved on!" But, this date will always be a reminder, for those that were alive, during that time. A little "reflection," doesn't make us "Sissy Boys," THAILOR!! ;>)

Peace!

CB

After reading half a dozen books on the Beatles (from just about every angle), I would have to put Paul McCartney as the most talented of the Fab Four (he played drums when Ringo couldn't seem to get them to work, and he played lead guitar when George couldn't seem to make it work). But John definitely had the charisma, the spark. And the interaction of the four of them on the stage required all four of them. Paul wrote silly, pretty songs, and John wanted to be a spokesman for his generation. And John looked down his nose at Paul's songs.

As they said, Pete Best was a better drummer buy Ringo was a better Beatle. Brian Epstein managed to polish them into an immensely likable group. John wanted to be grubby like the Stones, but Epstein had them dress nicely, smile to the crowd, and bow to the audience after songs. How Epstein knew that this would make the so much adored is beyond me. But it worked, all the way from soccer hooligans up to the Queen.

And I thought they handled the American press as well as JFK did. A few jerks in the press decided to provoke them when they first arrived over here. Someone shouted out "When are you going to get a haircut?!" I think it was George who replied "I had one last week."

And while I'm jabbering, I liked John's voice. It actually sounded very much like Larry Fine's voice, sort of nasal and resonant. But he was very self-conscious of his voice and tried to use special effects to mask it (as in some of the Revolver tracks...Tomorrow Never Knows"?). Apparently Yoko told him at one point that his voice was not good (from smoking too much?), which had to have really crushed him. That is when he started in on all of the reverb/echo, etc. It seemed that he was getting his self confidence back. His last few songs before he was killed was back to his un-embellished voice.

And I have to say that John is the Beatle who seemed to be having most fun on stage. The Stones often looked like they thought they were doing us a favor. John seemed to really like singing and playing in the early B&W footage, and he seemed to exude self-confidence. And that seemed to really impress the young ladies.

And while I'm jabbering' date=' I liked John's voice. It actually sounded very much like Larry Fine's voice, sort of nasal and resonant. But he was very self-conscious of his voice and tried to use special effects to mask it (as in some of the Revolver tracks...Tomorrow Never Knows"?). Apparently Yoko told him at one point that his voice was not good (from smoking too much?), which had to have really crushed him. That is when he started in on all of the reverb/echo, etc. It seemed that he was getting his self confidence back. His last few songs before he was killed was back to his un-embellished voice.

And I have to say that John is the Beatle who seemed to be having most fun on stage. The Stones often looked like they thought they were doing us a favor. John seemed to really like singing and playing in the early B&W footage, and he seemed to exude self-confidence. And that seemed to really impress the young ladies.[/quote']

VERY interesting comparison of Johns voice to Larry Fines...........Johns was a little deeper, but You're really onto something there..........interesting

I have to take issue with the OP - JL didn't 'pass way'. As RSDx says - he was blown away by a nutter called Mark Chapman who still lives and dreams of being paroled, findng work as a farmhand or returning to his previous printing work, and setting up a church with his wife.

John Lennon doesn't live and dream hereabouts anymore.

But as Nelson rightly says, it's over, move on.

after you are shot.

you sometimes pass away.

don't be so anal.

the interplay of personalitys between these guys is often divided up into characteristics they all shared..

john was every bit as playful as paul, etc etc.. they jelled, these four.. in a really unique way that rarely happens among friends let alone musicians.

I'm mostly sorry about their loss, and that of their familys.

I'd give up any music they might produce to give them all more time with John.

They all did a lot of stuff I didn't particularly care for.

They all did things I simply wont ever forget.

Personal inspiration was one of those things.

TWANG

Archived