Gibson Brands Forums

December 8, 1980

Just Strum

For what it's worth, I know all of you (ahem) older members probably regard that day as your "day the music died," but the best comparison I can make personally is finding out when Joe Strummer died. I'm obviously not old enough (I'm almost 20 now) to appreciate first hearing the beatles or seeing them on tv or something, but I can definitely feel you on the whole inspiration thing. I don't know how many Clash fans there are here, but I'm sure the first time you all heard Love Me Do or something hit you just as hard as a song like Clash City Rockers did me.

So I guess I can't appreciate it the way you guys do, but I definitely know the feeling.

RIP John...and Joe

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The music didn't die when Lennon was murdered, nor when Strummer went. Nor when Roy Orbison, Hendrix, or Otis Redding died. The music lives on, that's the beauty of it. I was 9 when Lennon was shot and I remember it well. But of all the great ones who have gone too early, it was SRV whose death shocked and saddened me most. Here was a man who was back on track after years when the bottle seemed to have got the better of him. I'd love to have heard what he came up with in the 90s and to have seen him live.

As for Lennon, I love the idea that he would have been a Wilbury, seems to fit perfectly. But his solo work had already fallen in quality by the late seventies and I'm not sure he would have produced anything better than McCartney in the 80s and 90s.

TWANG - the point I was trying to make was the JL's death was not a peaceful passing way, but instead a brutal ripping apart by four bullets in the back. And that the guy who did it still lives and dreams.

Now if my anger at that senseless nut-case's actions is 'anal', then I am happy to be so described.

Seems I'm doin' real well hereabouts.....

Nelson calls me a liar.

TWANG calls me anal.

Next.....

TWANG - the point I was trying to make was the JL's death was not a peaceful passing way' date=' but instead a brutal ripping apart by four bullets in the back. And that the guy who did it still lives and dreams.

Now if my anger at that senseless nut-case's actions is '[i']anal[/i]', then I am happy to be so described.

Seems I'm doin' real well hereabouts.....

Nelson calls me a liar.

TWANG calls me anal.

Next.....

Oh.."Sissy Boy," is next! LOL! (Just kidding!)

CB

And that the guy who did it still lives and dreams.

Well, I am happy that I have never seen the inside of the Attica Correctional Facility, but the extent to which Chapman "lives" is debatable. "Exists" might be a better term.

Let's face it, like Manson and Sirhan Sirhan, this guy isn't going to see the outside of a prison cell again until he's in a wooden box. So, in the interim, perhaps all he can do is dream. I wouldn't deprive him of that...

I would.....

...to what end? Vengeance? Chapman has to live with his deed of 28 years ago... Either he's mentally ill (which I suspect is probably the case) and is therefore deprived of the faculties necessary to confront the actions he has wrought; or he's sane' date=' and has to accept the guilt which must surely come with knowing that one is a murderer. There's nothing you can do to change that situation...

Yoko Ono has asked the world to try and forgive him [ http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_5969.aspx ']

and society is protected from him...so I shouldn't give him a moment's thought, otherwise, really...

I did not know that Dimebag and Lennon were both shot on the same day.

I was saddened when I heard of both their deaths, as I was with Elvis ( oh man), SRV and others. But get real. How can you allow yourself to live this fantasy that you were personally affected by their deaths to where it is still impacting your life in such a way that you continue to feel anger. You are allowing Chapman to rent a space in your head for free. And I'm sure that Chapman is just living the life right now too........

I always liked Julian Lennon's music, and now I respect him more than just for his music and songwriting abilities because he has the whole thing right. Move on!!!!!!!!! If he can get over it and John was his dad, then everyone else should be able to as well.

My brother was killed by his psycho wife, shot with a 12 gauge. I've been able to move on. It's called forgiveness. I just can't imagine dwelling on a mortal man's death whom I have never spoke with and still being angered by it so many years later, especially when you never even had the opportunity to meet the man. Use that energy to make a positive change in this world. Do you know how many children die every stinkin' day because of starvation or their living conditions? Are you angered by their deaths too? I doubt it or you would be doing something about it. was JL about anger or positive change. Get over it and move on. 'nuf said

I did not know that Dimebag and Lennon were both shot on the same day.

I was saddened when I heard of both their deaths' date=' as I was with Elvis ( oh man), SRV and others. But get real. How can you allow yourself to live this fantasy that you were personally affected by their deaths to where it is still impacting your life in such a way that you continue to feel anger. You are allowing Chapman to rent a space in your head for free. And I'm sure that Chapman is just living the life right now too........

I always liked Julian Lennon's music, and now I respect him more than just for his music and songwriting abilities because he has the whole thing right. Move on!!!!!!!!! If he can get over it and [u']John was his dad[/u], then everyone else should be able to as well.

My brother was killed by his psycho wife, shot with a 12 gauge. I've been able to move on. It's called forgiveness. I just can't imagine dwelling on a mortal man's death whom I have never spoke with and still being angered by it so many years later, especially when you never even had the opportunity to meet the man. Use that energy to make a positive change in this world. Do you know how many children die every stinkin' day because of starvation or their living conditions? Are you angered by their deaths too? I doubt it or you would be doing something about it. was JL about anger or positive change. Get over it and move on. 'nuf said

Very well put.

Nelson

For what it's worth' date=' I know all of you (ahem) older members probably regard that day as your "day the music died," but the best comparison I can make personally is finding out when Joe Strummer died. I'm obviously not old enough (I'm almost 20 now) to appreciate first hearing the beatles or seeing them on tv or something, but I can definitely feel you on the whole inspiration thing. I don't know how many Clash fans there are here, but I'm sure the first time you all heard Love Me Do or something hit you just as hard as a song like Clash City Rockers did me.

So I guess I can't appreciate it the way you guys do, but I definitely know the feeling.

RIP John...and Joe[/quote']

London Calling, to me that was the equivalent of the Stones Exile on Main Street and both rank very high on my "all time greatest releases" list

I can't be a hypocrite here. While I liked Lennon very much, when he went to the Plastic Ono band sound and beyond, I lost all interest in him. In fact, I didn't buy any albums by Lennon, McCartney, or Harrison after the breakup, and didn't buy the Let It Be album either (even though I had all previous Beatles albums). But I did have the pleasure of watching Lennon interviewed by Tom Schneider for an hour. Very funny, clever, and charismatic guy (Lennon, not Schneider).

This "get over it" I assume is for the hate of MDC and although I give it little thought, I can understand the statement. However, I don't see the need to "get over" John's death as it is no different than anyone else's death and life that we look back on . We look back with fond memories of someone like John and for a lot of us, John, the Beatles, and that era is very much a part of what makes us who we are.

Do you think when John died God was waiting for him and said "So what was that comment you said about the Beatles being more popular?" As John would stumble over his words God looks at him and says "Oh don't worry about it' date=' it doesn't mean ****"

Sorry to any extremely religious people that take offense, but my God has a sense of humor.[/quote']

Just Strum, I surely hope God's sense of humor is as great as His mercy. Face it, most of us have screwed up at one

point or more in our lives and may have even said something that to some people had seemed blasphemous. I think

what John said at the time about the Beatles being more popular than Jesus was just an observation on his part that

may have even been true (even if he didn't mean it that way). Many fans at the time were probably more in tune with

the Beatles than we were with whatever our religious affiliation. I think the religious right made more out of his statement than he meant it to be. Anyhow, I don't think God will hold that against him. Come to think of it, Jesus

was killed because he claimed to be the Son of God, which to the Jewish religious leaders of His day was blasphemy.

God's laughing because Jesus is risen.

John should just be remembered for his contribution to the music of our day and creative genius. Who ever shared Julian Lennon's response, kudos to you and Julian himself. Life still goes on and we have to look forward and as Julian

said on those special days for our passed loved ones look back and wink and then proceed forward as they would want us to do.

Still remember it like it was yesterday - finishing my afternoon shift in London (Ontario, Canada) @ 11:00 p.m. and hopping in my car to drive home and hearing how John Lennon had been shot. (He was already dead by this time, but the announcement didn't come for another 15 minutes or so.) Then the radio station started playing Beatles songs in tribute.

As far as what I meant, the "get over it" line was for the anger at MDC. Nothing wrong with remembering a person and their contributions on either their birthday or the anniversary of their death. JL influenced many and his music probably will continue to influence even more in the future. :-({|=

By the way, I did not get on the forum yesterday and first came across this thread this afternoon..... but I am moving on now:d/

As far as what I meant' date=' the "get over it" line was for the anger at MDC. Nothing wrong with remembering a person and their contributions on either their birthday or the anniversary of their death. JL influenced many and his music probably will continue to influence even more in the future. :-({|=

By the way, I did not get on the forum yesterday and first came across this thread this afternoon..... but I am moving on now:d/ [/quote']

Don't go away! It hurts at first, but soon you learn who to ignore. And I'm probably one of those people to ignore, to some. We like you (and I'm speaking as a voice for the group, not an individual). Variety is the spice of life, and we have to put up with pepper spray every now and then.

As far as what I meant' date=' the "get over it" line was for the anger at MDC. Nothing wrong with remembering a person and their contributions on either their birthday or the anniversary of their death. JL influenced many and his music probably will continue to influence even more in the future. =D>

By the way, I did not get on the forum yesterday and first came across this thread this afternoon..... but I am moving on now:d/ [/quote']

Hopefully you are not taking offense to my post, if you are - get over it.

I didn't take offense to your post. I'm not a small thin skinned person who lets something like that offend me.[-( Everyone has the right to their opinion, I stated mine and you stated yours. Nothing to get alarmed about or to get over. Adults should be able to disagree and state their opinions in a non malicious manner and not have to worry about offending the other person. Sorry, again just my opinion. There were several people who took my post personal and were offended though. I apologize to them. They voiced their opinion and I voiced mine.

Hey Charlie Brown, this thread kinda resonates Ground Hog Day to me............lol!

I didn't take offense to your post. I'm not a small thin skinned person who lets something like that offend me.[-( Everyone has the right to their opinion' date= I stated mine and you stated yours. Nothing to get alarmed about or to get over. Adults should be able to disagree and state their opinions in a non malicious manner and not have to worry about offending the other person. Sorry, again just my opinion. There were several people who took my post personal and were offended though. I apologize to them. They voiced their opinion and I voiced mine.

Hey Charlie Brown, this thread kinda resonates Ground Hog Day to me............lol![/quote]

Yeah, it's starting to, huh? ;>) Most here, are pretty easy going folks. As with any forum, there are

a few, that like to get things "stirred up," now and again. But, for the most part, it's a fun forum. It

does seem a bit more "Cranky" lately...but that may be "the holidays," or the economy...??? Biorhythms??

Who knows? Gotta keep one's sense of humor, as best you can, and things always seem to "smooth out."

Cheers,

CB

I didn't take offense to your post. I'm not a small thin skinned person who lets something like that offend me.:-k Everyone has the right to their opinion' date=' I stated mine and you stated yours. Nothing to get alarmed about or to get over. Adults should be able to disagree and state their opinions in a non malicious manner and not have to worry about offending the other person. Sorry, again just my opinion. There were several people who took my post personal and were offended though. I apologize to them. They voiced their opinion and I voiced mine.

Hey Charlie Brown, this thread kinda resonates Ground Hog Day to me............lol![/quote']

Cool. When you stated "I'm out of here" I thought maybe you took my comment the wrong way.

I was bartending that night.

The Monday Night Football game was on but people wanted to hear the jukebox so I had the game on but the sound turned down.

The "Just Like Starting Over" just started playing on the jukebox and a couple came in and hearing the song playing the guy says that he just heard on the radio that John Lennon had been shot in New York City.

Somebody said, shot?

Shot and killed the guy says.

I said, c'mon, why would somebody want to shoot John Lennon?

Somebody else asked, Did they get the guy that shot him?

I still though this guy was making up the story but we turned up the volume on the TV and found out it was true.

And all this while "Just Like Starting Over" played on.

Archived