Gibson Brands Forums

I am joining the Epiphone club!

Big Arm

Hello, I am a sp ed teacher in Montana working with mainly autistic and behaviorally disturbed children I was lucky enough recently to sell a rather high end mandolin and then purchase a Gibson ES 345. Beautiful guitar, but somewhat spendy to take to a class of autistic children! So I decided I wanted a different guitar for that purpose. I began lurking around here and by doing so I decided Epiphone might be a good idea. Now, realize that I am not dissing Epiphone. I have never owned one, but rather after lurking here, it sounded as if they were very good deals. I was searching ebay for good deals, but yesterday I happened upon a link for guitar center that advertised the Dot Deluxe Flame Top for $299.99! That was cheaper than I could get a used one for, so I decided to go for it. It took an hour or so because the guitar center worker couldn't find the link! He finally contacted his supervisor who said that he had run across that earlier in the day, so they honored the price. I am looking forward to getting this!

Welcome to the club. Yes, we do have a lot of Epiphone fans here, and as you might notice, the Gibson vs. Epiphone debate is a continuous bone of contention. However, I think your reasoning is right on the money. Now that my enormous, clumsy-footed dog is an indoor dog, the expensive guitars stay in their cases and my MIK Epiphones come out of their cases.

I think you'll like the Dot, and will be impressed with its look, feel, and workmanship. I am more of a fan of the Sheraton, but the differences are pretty subtle and cosmetic. I look forward to hearing your comments and seeing pictures of your Dot after it arrives.

If a fight erupts around here, that's just part of being on a forum with a lot of different people proud of their own babies (My Sheraton is an Honor Roll Guitar, etc.). It's pretty easy to stay out of the fray.

JLS

Thanks for the welcome. I am not much of a fighter!

Not to worry, they're easy to avoid, most of the time.

Dot's are great guitars, even given the price point. They're not ES-345's, but that's OK.

They do what they do, really well, can be "modded/upgraded" very successfully, if needed/wanted.

So, you should be quite pleased, with your purchase.

Stick around, and enjoy!

CB

Guest alanhindle
Hello' date=' I am a sp ed teacher in Montana working with mainly autistic and behaviorally disturbed children I was lucky enough recently to sell a rather high end mandolin and then purchase a Gibson ES 345. Beautiful guitar, but somewhat spendy to take to a class of autistic children! So I decided I wanted a different guitar for that purpose. I began lurking around here and by doing so I decided Epiphone might be a good idea. Now, realize that I am not dissing Epiphone. I have never owned one, but rather after lurking here, it sounded as if they were very good deals. I was searching ebay for good deals, but yesterday I happened upon a link for guitar center that advertised the Dot Deluxe Flame Top for $299.99! That was cheaper than I could get a used one for, so I decided to go for it. It took an hour or so because the guitar center worker couldn't find the link! He finally contacted his supervisor who said that he had run across that earlier in the day, so they honored the price. I am looking forward to getting this![/quote']

Hi Big Arm,

My eldest son has moderate special needs. The head teacher (I believe you would call him the principal) at his special school plays guitar in morning assembly. Over the last 4 years he has organised Christmas carol concerts featuring the kids of all the local special schools. The original idea was to showcase to the funding authorities what the schools can achieve and thereby reduce the threat of closures and subsequent relocation of kids who are not ready/able to move over to the mainstream sector. We went to this year's concert last night and it was fantastic. Music is a great way of reaching and engaging these kids for whom communication can otherwise be difficult. My lad loves his music and loves learning his songs.

I take my hat off to you and your special needs teaching colleagues Sir.

Alan

^^ You are right Alan, music reaches out to so many people who have difficulties in everyday life.

And to the original poster, welcome sir! And good on you for reaching out to those kids.

I agree with Charlie that a Dot is a fantastic guitar. I'm a Sheraton owner, but the difference is mainly a prettier cosmetic look.... as Jeffery Smith said so well.

You've made a good choice, keep that Gibby in the case for the school lessons, and maybe take it out on open mike nights or jam nights! But more importantly, enjoy them both!

Welcome from yet another Sheraton owner/ lover! And those who say the difference is subtle and cosmetic are right- the stock p/us are hotter and the neck is slightly thicker on the Dot, but it's still an excellent guitar nontheless. Looks like you got a great deal too.

Thanks for the welcome. I am not much of a fighter!

I wouldn't worry about it, there are some that will take up the slack. Also, don't take any of it seriously, in between the jabs there is a lot of good information.

I think you will enjoy the Dot and you better have a camera, because we will be requesting pics.

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I am really looking forward to getting the new guitar. And thanks for the kind words about teaching. However, I get as much from the kids as they do from me. I started my career in sp ed and then spent most of my years teaching k, 1 and 2. I then retired in Washington and moved here. I decided to go back to full time teaching and took this job. I have the greatest job in the world right now. I get paid to give love to children that really need it. I, too, believe that music is great medicine for kids, handicapped and not. I spent about an hour today playing Christmas carols to my kids today. What fun!

Welcome and congrats on the Dot. I have a Dot and I love it, I'm sure you will too. I am a music teacher in a couple of elementary schools. I have some autistic and cognitively impaired students. They are mainstreamed into the regular music class and they also have music by themselves, so I see my special needs kids twice a week. I realize that accidents happen, so I don't want to use my more expensive guitars at school either. I have a G-400 (I bought it with a broken headstock on Ebay for $100) at one school and an SX STL50 (Tele clone) at the other school. Both have been modded and are very nice players, but I don't have a lot in them. I generally play every day for my kids. It's a ball. I love it and so do they. I also fell very blessed to be able to work with children, those with special needs and those without. I was walking down the Kindergarten hall yesterday and I got mugged by a bunch of Kindergarteners. I wouldn't trade those hugs for anything. It's awesome to be able to touch the lives of our future generation. It's funny with special needs kids, I have some that talk very little. You never know if you are getting through to them, but once in a while they say something that let me know I am and that just makes my day. So keep on touching them with you music.

Welcome to the forum. You will find all kinds of info, and people here.

I too am a new Epiphone owner. Got a LP Ultra 2. Posted a pic and it

caused a little commotion! Some guys like it, others are not so fond.

Some of the info is really good, so stay tuned. :-)

A little update:

I never got an e-mail notifying me of shipment so I called. It seems that it is backordered. They told me to check back in a month. I would think that they should have told me that when I ordered it and it seems as they should notify me when it arrives. Not the other way around. Oh well, patience is a virtue and I don't think I will be able to beat that price, so I will wait. Never been really good at waiting!

A little update:

I never got an e-mail notifying me of shipment so I called. It seems that it is backordered. They told me to check back in a month. I would think that they should have told me that when I ordered it and it seems as they should notify me when it arrives. Not the other way around. Oh well' date=' patience is a virtue and I don't think I will be able to beat that price, so I will wait. Never been really good at waiting![/quote']Sounds like thay are giving you the old heave-ho. They have them listed for $399 online now.

Archived