Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson or Epiphone LP. worth the difference in PRICE?

Hippchekk

I have been unable to justify paying 2000 for a Gibson LP when the Epiphone LP is around 1/3 the cost. I havent had the luxury of holding a Gibson LP to really tell. Can anyone give me a clue as to why the Epiphone LP are so much less when they seem to have more or less duplicated the LP. I know there made out of country too.

:D 8-[#-o :D

I have been unable to justify paying 2000 for a Gibson LP when the Epiphone LP is around 1/3 the cost. I havent had the luxury of holding a Gibson LP to really tell. Can anyone give me a clue as to why the Epiphone LP are so much less when they seem to have more or less duplicated the LP. I know there made out of country too.

Charley, I'm not sure the Gib is worth 5x what the Epi is but apples to apples the Gibby uses very obviously superior wood to the Epi and very superior hardware. If you looked at them side-by-side you'd clearly see the difference. One need look no further than the piece of rosewood used for the fretboard, for starters. Whether the difference is 5x is essentially the meat of the debate.

Charley' date=' I'm not sure the Gib is worth 5x what the Epi is but apples to apples the Gibby uses very obviously superior wood to the Epi and very superior hardware. If you looked at them side-by-side you'd clearly see the difference. One need look no further than the piece of rosewood used for the fretboard, for starters. Whether the difference is 5x is essentially the meat of the debate.[/quote']

Yeah, the Never Ending Debate! (smile) I just meant to those that find those differences, and the "Gibson"

on the headstock, important....then it's worth it (to them). If not...no. I can't really argue this subject, because I

own both, and appreciate both. But, if you want/can afford the Gibson, get it! I have "lust" for an ES-345...do I

need it, NO...can I afford it, NO...will I still get one...Probably, at some point, if I save/live long enough.... ;>)

CB

I wonder' date=' if we made it mandatory, to have a Gibson Vs Epiphone thread/discussion, say once a week...

Maybe THEN, it would just "Go Away?" Maniacal LOL! (I doubt it, though...)

CB[/quote']

If I can scrape enough money together in January for the lovely new Reverend Manta Ray 290 I've set my heart on...

manta_ray_290_wine.jpg

...then I'd be happy to start a "Reverend semi v Epiphone semi" thread, if you think that will help, Charlie...

If I can scrape enough money together in January for the lovely new Reverend Manta Ray 290 I've set my heart on...

manta_ray_290_wine.jpg

...then I'd be happy to start a "Reverend semi v Epiphone semi" thread' date=' if you think that will help, Charlie...

[/quote']

Now surely the Epiphone DOT 335 is better than a Reverend wotsit c/w free bible ...... :D

P.S Oh okay Leicester seeing as its you.... and I give in by the way, where is that viaduct then??

Get the Epi, and don't mind the others freaking out. This is a very common question (that often leads to all out war), but we have to take into account here that not everyone joins the forum at the same time.

If you can get to a store and play an Epi, do so. If not, take my word for it that you won't be disappointed.

P.S Oh okay Leicester seeing as its you.... and I give in by the way' date=' where is that viaduct then??[/quote']

It's in the middle of nowhere, about 18 miles east of Leicester, out towards Melton Mowbray. From time to time I take a massive hike out that way (and then usually end up in one of the village pubs when I'm walking back, before catching a bus back to the city...)

I don't know much about it really...it's a huge, crumbling railway viaduct that was abandoned in the 1960s as part of Dr Beeching's attack on the railways. It's just an amazing sight when you walk across the fields...All I really know about it is its name (from the O.S. map) - John o' Gaunt Viaduct.

If you have the money to spend..... it's worth it to get a Gibson. Otherwise' date=' an Epiphone Les Paul will do the job EXTREMELY well!

I have both Gibsons and Epiphones and I enjoy both equally. [/quote']

+1

I always enjoy your videos man, you are the real deal and that's what it is all about!

Is that how you spent some of your money' date=' when you parachuted out of that 727 with a big bag of cash, back in the '70s?

...oh hang on, maybe that was a different D Cooper....[/quote']

If it had been me....... I'd have used the $$ to get a real 1959 Gibson Les Paul Sunburst. : )

If you don't know the answer to your question you probably shouldn't get the Gibson. Once you've become a pretty good player and have decided you want to make a real investment in yourself as a guitar player the Gibson may be worth getting. But once you've gotten to that point, you will have discovered many other possibilities.

Aside from inane questions such as this one, there's something else that I see. I'm often

dismayed when a player uses a forum apparently as the first and only line of inquiry,

before bothering to even look at a manufacturer's website to familiarize himself with the

product lines, features, etc... Of course there are other places to gather info, like GC, et

al. Some people here have worked hard to learn what they know about guitars, mods,

etc.. And while they are often generous with that knowledge, I can understand why they

don't want to "do all the work" for somebody too lazy to do some of it himself. I know

some members may disagree with me - and that's OK.

Specifically about the OP: for one thing, he didn't even bother to look at the recent HUGE posts on the

Gibson vs. Epiphone topics. I also doubt he did much, if any research on Epi and Gibson features,

manufacture, materials, etc..

Archived