Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Questions, or more specifically a neck ???

vipe155

I have a question about Gibson/Epi vs. Fender guitars and their overall neck sizes.

I'll try to make this as short as possible. My first guitar was a Epi LP special, and it was fine for learning the basics on, but it was never very comfortable for me. I have smaller hands, and I like a smaller neck feel. I tried researching about guitar necks, and I bought an Epi SG Deluxe (now discontinued I guess) and immediately noticed that the neck was smaller and felt better, but it wasn't a huge difference.

Here is where the Fender part comes in. A young relative of mine has gotten a Squier/Fender bullet Stratocaster, and to my surprise, the neck feels smaller, quicker and more comfortable to me than my SG. I would really like a neck like this, but I like Gibson type guitars, and don't want a Fender.

First of all, does anyone have any specs (number-wise) on the Epi SGs for the neck so I can compare it to other guitars? Also, are there any Epi models that have a similar or even smaller neck than this Strat has? I like the Les Paul, SG and the Whilshire, so I'm not picky about which. I would just like one of those that feels as comfortable as that cheap Strat did. By the way, I understand necks sizes like C, D, V etc. and it seems that a C neck is what I'm looking for.

Thank you for any help you can give.

As ace said...you have to know the guitar.. play the guitar as much as you can and get to know it better.. just like i did, i used to play with a fender type guitar (I-suzuki) as it had necks like those on fender strats. i was comfortable with it...then i bought a lp100 ( i too like the lp's better) which's fret was a bit bigger than the one i used before...it was ok again and thought it's just a big bigger.... then i bought an Epi Standard and I was already playing like i used to play with the lp100 or my old I-suzuki...get to know your guitar better you have to cope with it a couple of times but you'll get the hang of it..there are so many small hand players and some even play a classical guitars and they are awesome.. don't let your small fingers get in the way..practice a bit more than you used to you'll do a lot better..

i had posted a video to show the forum guys.. it shows a 10-11 year old kid play a classical guitar and he was brilliant..

Here Click to see.

Psssssssssst ! hey.......you said Gibson STYLED guitars with Fender sized necks?

They make Teles, Strats, & several others with twin humbucker configuration.

Thin neck, humbucker roar, & the Tele weighs in almost identical to a LP.

-edit- Another concideration .........have you played any Epi hollow/semihollow body guitars?

My Sheraton II has all the Gibson features, plus a very comfy "smallish" neck.

And the looks just can't be beat !

GarysCam066.jpg

I was also very resistant to SG's ... the necks just semed way too wide for comfort. I recently picked up an SG Prophecy GX after looking at the specs. It has the same neck as the Les Paul GX ... although it seems longer due to the lower heel and much lower fret access. I'm lovin' them both. Finally my SG dreams were fullfilled. Both guitars have a coil tap feature so you can get your "Fender" on ... sorta! Give 'em a try if you get the chance.

MIDI

ProphecyTwins.jpg

Well, I understand that you can work with a guitar and get comfortable with it... But there is just too much of a difference. I like the SG, but just playing on a Strat I can reach chords much better, am more accurate, and can slide, etc. better. I just would rather be that comfortable on the guitar. I'm orginally a drummer, and with a drum set you can play on just about anything and get used to it, but eventually you want a nice kit that feels good to you and adapts to what you want, not the other way around. I feel the same way about the guitar, especially when I'm learning.

Yeah, basically I would like a Gibson type guitar with a Strat size neck. I would love to go to a Guitar Center or something and try stuff out. But, I live in a smaller town that has one music shop that only sells a few Fenders, no Gibsons or Epis.

How does the Gibson Slim Taper/60's neck compare in size to the typical Strat C neck?

The late great. and I mean great. Danny Gatton had very small hands. I can't remember anyone I've seen who had shorter fingers, smaller palms.

He played a tele. He played it like noboby else, he played it with a towel over the neck. He played slide with a full beer bottle spewing foam

all over the place.

I've got a video he did and I was amazed at small hands he had.

Teles are sometimes called tennesee toothpicks. the necks are very thin and moreso on some than others.

gibsons heritage is a larger more rounded neck, which didn't change until the late fifties.

the tele has a longer scale.. more distance between the frets, so there is a trade off when it comes to hand size.

you stretch more around the neck, or you stretch more up and down the neck.

They make a tele with a short scale, I believe, and you'd probably love that.

SGs have thinner necks, but it's hard to tell about epis and I dont play SGs so I can't say more than go try some.

You'd probably love my sheraton, it's neck is way thinner than an lp neck.. flatter, and to me, though I have kinda large hands!, faster and more

comfortable.

An lp neck is thick enough that you can modify it. You can take the paint off.. you can flatten the back of the neck a pretty fair amount.

But that would be trial and error.. and I don't think anyone could promise you you'd like it until it was done and in your hands.

For me, my teles feel fatter than my sheraton.

But I haven't played the new models so you even have to take that with a grain of salt.

I had a set neck tele.. with humbucks.. gold top model that was a short run.. it's neck was fatter than the typical tele, but still pretty thin.

I feel like I'm just blathering now and not helping. *L*

So I'm gonna shut up.

TWANG

Hi Vipe155,

The Les Paul Ultra has a comparable neck as a Stratocaster...that's why I bought it...for the same reason you are looking for. I loved Fender's neck size, but prefer a lot the Les Paul type of guitar. The Ultra solved that problem. The neck is narrower than the other Les Paul. Try one, you'll see. I have play Startocaster and Telecaster for years before putting my hands on that Ultra. Since then, it's my main guitar. I still have a Telecaster...with Humbucker at the neck position, but it's my backup guitar.

I really appreciate all of your help.... I like being able to ask these questions of someone since there aren't many people in my area to ask directly.

I'm not trying to be difficult or anything, but the Telecaster just isn't my favorite. I've never liked the design, and our lead guitarist in the band I play drums in has one besides his Strat and I just don't like it. Reminds me of a "Country" electric. Just my opinion, don't get mad at me or anything8-[

I guess my main question is how does a 60's slim taper LP neck compare to a Strat neck? And, does anyone have a reissue Wilshire and does it have the 60's neck or a 50's neck? I would really like to know if I buy a "slim-taper" neck Gibson type will that be close to the size of one of these Stratocasters or will it still be noticeably bigger.

Gibson/Epiphone necks are different from Fender necks in multiple ways - length, width, profile, radius, frets.....

and of course each company has different "models" and differences in different years. I really think you need to

find a way to play a bunch of guitars somewhere, somehow, in order to make an informed purchase.

I got a question about how you guys talk about "thin necks" and the sort. I have a Epi LP Standard (see avatar) and a Strat-clone. I have measured the fretboard width at the nut and at the highest fret and the measurements of the fretboard width are the same. I also know that the Strat neck is 3/4" longer. When you guys talk about "thin necks" are you referring to the "roundness" that exists at the back side of the neck?

I got a question about how you guys talk about "thin necks" and the sort. I have a Epi LP Standard (see avatar) and a Strat-clone. I have measured the fretboard width at the nut and at the highest fret and the measurements of the fretboard width are the same. I also know that the Strat neck is 3/4" longer. When you guys talk about "thin necks" are you referring to the "roundness" that exists at the back side of the neck?

Yes

As I see it there are only a few options here:

1) Find that guitar that feels great in your hands and play it

2) Keep what you have an lear to love it...

3) Build your own kit - this option allows you the greatest flexibility and selection

4) Give up the guitar and take up the harmonica...

I personally favor options 1 and 3. Forcing yourself to accept an instrument that you don't love is like ... fill in the blanks. Buy looking until you find that one instrument that fits is the most viable and practical option.

I have an acquaintance - We call him LP Man - who has developed the ability to wrench Les Paul tones form ANY guitar. You might doubt this, but I have personally heard him play a Strat and Tele (both with single coil PU's) and make them sound just like his LP. When asked why... He say I like the LP... The obvious follow up to that is why not just play the LP???

The point is that you can attain what ever tone you want for an instrument....

Find what you like and play it like you stole it...

I'm not trying to be difficult or anything' date=' but the Telecaster just isn't my favorite. I've never liked the design, and our lead guitarist in the band I play drums in has one besides his Strat and I just don't like it. Reminds me of a "Country" electric. Just my opinion, don't get mad at me or anything8-[ [/quote']

hammer.gif lol... just jk.. i always loved the tele style.. for some reason it always draws me towards it self..i stll think it wouldn't be a problem if you gave some more time on your guitar...

I understand what you mean about working with an instrument a bit, but it isn't like I just got this SG. I've had it for about 9 months or so, and I play it several times a week when I can. I like the style, but it just isn't as comfortable as I would like. I guess I'm saying that if I can pick up a guitar for the first time (Strat Bullet) and like it more than what I've used for over half a year, maybe I need to look into something else.

I guess I just need to go play a bunch of guitars, but for me the closest option is going about an hour away to a GC to see what I would like to try out.

I understand what you mean about working with an instrument a bit' date=' but it isn't like I just got this SG. I've had it for about 9 months or so, and I play it several times a week when I can. I like the style, but it just isn't as comfortable as I would like. I guess I'm saying that if I can pick up a guitar for the first time (Strat Bullet) and like it more than what I've used for over half a year, maybe I need to look into something else.

I guess I just need to go play a bunch of guitars, but for me the closest option is going about an hour away to a GC to see what I would like to try out.[/quote']

hey if it's been nine months with that guitar and if you still cant play it properly due to the size of it's neck then go a head get your self something that you'd feel comfortable in..but plz not the Squire bullet..anything but that... ya go to your local store play some instruments you'd be able to find something that suits you.. have you tried those schecter guitars some are really good,,..

No, not a Squier Bullet. But you would be surprised... My relative I talked about got one to start out on (he's only 13) and it really isn't that bad. Maybe we got a good one. The body and neck aren't bad, so we're going to replace the tuners and get some Fender Mexican type pickups and make it decent enough to practice and learn on.

That's what I was saying though, this Squier Bullet feels better to me than my SG.

Anyway, Thanks everyone for the help. I wish someone that owned a reissue Wilshire or an Epi LP could give me a relative comparison between those necks and the Strat neck, but I appreciate the help regardless.

Just a little update to my question on here.... I went to a GC and looked at tried the Epi LP Standard, Ultra II, an SG 400, and the Fender Standard Strats. Of course they didn't have a Wilshire to look at, but I didn't expect them to.

I really like the look and sound of the LPs and SG. But the Strat feels so much better to me. Especially the maple neck. The LPs and the SG have a little bigger neck on them over the Strat, but I think the real difference for me is the fretboard radius. Since the fretboard is flatter on the Gibson type guitars, it's just harder for me to really get my hand around the neck. I realize I'm being picky, but I also like how the back of the Fender neck doesn't have all the thick paint and gloss finish like the Epis. It just feels smoother not having all that finish on the back of the neck.

Even so, I did like the LP Ultra just as well as the Strat. It has a little thinner neck than the other LPs and the SG, looks nicer, and has a satin (and much smoother/better) finish on the back of the neck. I would pick one of these up and forget about the radius thing if they weren't almost double the price of a Strat Standard. "Big Norm" you were right about the Ultra being a good choice.

I don't know, I guess I may just go with the Stratocaster. I've just never played better or had more fun on a guitar than when I've tried the Maple neck Strats. I still really like the LP and other Gibson types, so I'm just not 100% sure yet.

I don't know' date=' I guess I may just go with the Stratocaster. I've just never played better or had more fun on a guitar than when I've tried the Maple neck Strats. [/quote']

You just answerd your own questions right there...that's what it's all about. You can always get an LP, Sg or whatever later...the thing is about fun and playing now.

Besides it's a lot easier for a Strat to go into humbucker territory than getting a single coil twang out of humbuckers....or been my case anyhow.

Fender's got the most variety of neck shapes and sizes on one guitar model than any other guitar company IMO....definitely need to try them out for sure. Perfect example is the string spacings between the American Standard and a Standard. The Am Std's neck feels huge, or much wider....like a nylon string neck compared to the Standard (well..LOL..maybe a bit exaggerated ). Anyhow both have the same profile, scale and radiuses. Lots of neck shapes and sizes to use from on a Strat.

Don't forget about ESP/LTD' date=' many of which have a smaller thinner neck. You probably need to take a long drive to a store that has a big selection.[/quote']

This may be true, but isn't Edward practically an ESP? A friend of mine lets me play his edward and it's like trying to wrap my hand around a folgers can.

You just answerd your own questions right there...that's what it's all about. You can always get an LP' date=' Sg or whatever later...the thing is about fun and playing now.

[/quote']

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've only looked at the Mexican made Strat Standards, is there really a huge difference in neck shape or size between it and say the Highway One's etc.?

As for ESP or any other brands, I'm really not interested in anything besides Fender Gibson/Epi. Nothing against those others... it's just when I think "guitar" I think Fender or Gibson. Plus I like what the two main brands offer enough I don't need anything else.

I've only looked at the Mexican made Strat Standards' date=' is there really a huge difference in neck shape or size between it and say the Highway One's etc.?[/quote']

I wouldn't say huge difference between those two...deffinitely some though. Both sport a modern C profile...heck I'll just post a link to where you can check them out your self.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?section=guitars&cat=stratocaster

Anyhow the real difference for me was between the finger board on the American Standard and the feel on a....well heck , just about all the other Strats. Just feels huge....really like it.

G&L have some nice Strat clones too IMO....sorry, just adding more confusion to the mix. Just didn't want you overlooking other options...and a very good one if I may say so myself. Some of them G&L are killer...at least the ones I've tried.

Archived