Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Volume And Tone Control Knobs

Swoop

I have an SG G-310, and I want to replace the standard volume and tone control knobs with bell style ones similar to those on the G-400. Like these:

565035.jpg

KBL13TV.jpg

Tone And Volume Knobs

I wasj ust wondering how I go about removing the original ones, and if anyone might be able to tell me how many splines the shafts have? I want to be sure I get ones that are going to fit!

Thanks

Sometimes they will lift right off. If not, use 2 teaspoons and soft rags doubled up under them to protect the finish. Work around the knob prying it up with the spoons and take your time being careful to not force things and damage the finish or the pot. Imports usally all have the same spline count, but just check a pot to be sure before you order.

Again, the key is be careful and take your time, as simple as this job is I've seen some folks do damage.....you don't want to dent or mar the finish or damage the pot.

Make sure you get the right ones -- coarse spline knobs!

I changed my knobs on my Epiphone John Lennon acoustic -- and had to buy two sets. I mistakenly bought Gibson knobs - but they didn't fit because they have fine splines/threads. Epiphones need the coarse splines/threads. I found mine at Guitar Fetish. Cheap, quick delivery, and fit like a glove. Made my guitar look a million times better.

To remove them I used an old flat shoelace. Wrap it around once or twice under the knob, rock back and forth as you pull straight up.

Thanks for the fast responses guys. It was pretty easy to remove them! I just wrapped a rag around and underneath them and pulled up, and they came right off. The ones I was looking at getting from my usual parts supplier are fine 24 spline ones, so they won't fit. I checked out Guitar Fetish, but they only seem to have gold topped ones, although it says they have a silver insert (the picture is gold). I really want chrome ones since it has chrome hardware (tailpiece, bridge, pickup covers, etc).

How about the pickup selector tip, how do I go about removing that one? I thought it might unscrew, but it doesn't budge when I turn it. I'm keen to replace that with a chrome one too, or perhaps I could machine one up myself.

I thought the Gibson ones didn't fit? Although it does say they are for coarse shafts. Ah I see they're just Gibson style! I'll go for those ones then. Works out to be a bit cheaper than the ones I thought I'd get from my usual supplier, so that's good!

I thought that was the case with the tip, I guess I just have to try a bit harder!

Those tips also come in diff. shaft sizes and thread pitches.....be sure you order metric.

Hmmm' date=' I think I may have ordered the wrong one. Oh well, it was only a couple of bucks. I can't seem to find a chrome switch tip to suit a metric switch, so I guess I'll have to machine one up myself. Anyone know what size the thread is? Looks like M4 or M5?

I bought some of these Position Indicators from StewMac too. I've always thought it could do with something to clearly show what each knob is set to, and now I found them.

I also got some black Humbucker Pickup screws too. I replaced the pickguard screws a while ago with black ones, because I wanted to camouflage them, (I also did the ones in the truss rod cover, and the cavity plate too) but I wasn't able to get ahold of any black ones for the pickups.

It's nice to finally have all the little cosmetic things complete. Until I find something else to change anyway! [-X

Archived