Gibson Brands Forums

25-cent Straplocks

Ron G

Watch this video then you'll under stand his "BASELESS BELIEFS"

Obviously all locks don't require you to drill the hole bigger but some do.......

Made my eyes water when he started drilling. I'll stick with my Grolsh washers.

I couldn't help wondering why Ernie Ball don't make their straplock buttons the same diameter of the existing screws - unless each guitar model is different.

Guest alanhindle

Made my eyes water when he started drilling. I'll stick with my Grolsh washers.

I couldn't help wondering why Ernie Ball don't make their straplock buttons the same diameter of the existing screws - unless each guitar model is different.

I'm no DIY expert but I would guess that it's more secure to have a new, bigger hole with a fresh thread created by the new screw than to go in and mash up the existing hole by using a screw of the same size. I suppose the more you screw and unscrew in the same hole the less grip there will be. It would be even worse if you believe you're 100% safe when you're actually not. At home, once you've had doors off their hinges more than a couple of times the screws become less and less effective and you're then using matchsticks and/or bigger screws (if the hinge will take them). With anything heavy, whether it's a door in your house or a 10lb Les Paul, you want to make sure that the screws holding it up are fixed securely.

Maybe I'm being over cautious but I don't like the idea of burrowing in to my guitars to fit a strap lock. I use the little plastic ones you slip over the strap button and then spin round to secure the strap. I've had no problems with them.

Alan

I've had these pop off,.....#-o

So I went with Schallers. Easy to install not drilling,...perfect!!!

I am somewhat surprised and chagrined that a simple tip devolved into a debate on the merits of commercial straplock devices and the process of installing them. I at least hope that some people benefitted from this simple reminder of a cheap form of guitar "insurance".

I am somewhat surprised and chagrined that a simple tip devolved into a debate on the merits of commercial straplock devices and the process of installing them. I at least hope that some people benefitted from this simple reminder of a cheap form of guitar "insurance".
I'm with ya on this one, Ron.... I've been using them for years - maybe not the "prettiest" solution, but they work well enough for me ...... but personally, I prefer to be buying beers with the flip-tops than just buying from a homebrew supplier. (Hey..... I like beer, and "needing" new straplocks is a good excuse to go get some good beer). I used to be a homebrewer years ago, had many of these at one point.....wish I would've held onto them. But, hey ..... a local Kroger has Grolsch in the flip-top format, and a local wine and spirits dealer has a bunch of different uncommon imported beers sold singly in large arsed bottles with the grommet tops as well .... Thanks for this thread (I usually do chime in on the "beer bottle rubber grommet straplock" threads. =D>

Thax Ron,

I like the tip and fully intended on taking advantage of it.......Unfortunately........

I needed 3 sets. By the time I got done drinking 6 bottles of Grolsch I forgot about the washers and threw them out with the bottles.

Guess I'll have to try again.

This is an oldie but a goodie - may be of particular interest to newbie players. I just picked up a new supply at the local home brewing store. The rubber washers like the ones that are on Grolsch beer bottles. They were two for a quarter. Of course you can buy the beer' date=' drink the beer and then remove the washers. Put on your strap, slip the washer on next. Strap ain't comin' off.[/quote']

what do these rubber bushings look like??? Seems like a nice alternative... BTW how does Grolsch beer taste??? I'm BBQing some chicken and ribs today and I could use some beer while Qing

.. BTW how does Grolsch beer taste??? I'm BBQing some chicken and ribs today and I could use some beer while Qing

Grolsch tastes OK, better than US macro-swill (Miller, Bud, etc, etc)...... there are many many imports (and some smaller domestics) I prefer, but ... Grolsch DOES come with the budget "locks" =P~ ..... although I have recently seen Grolsch for sale in regular capped bottles 8-[ .....

Showing my age here but I remember back in the early/mid 80's there was a craze for wearing Grolsch bottle tops on your shoes as decoration (something at the back of my brain seems to recall it as part of the Wham phenomenon)

Guest alanhindle
Showing my age here but I remember back in the early/mid 80's there was a craze for wearing Grolsch bottle tops on your shoes as decoration (something at the back of my brain seems to recall it as part of the Wham phenomenon)

Oh no' date=' please not!

I think I've found it. Is this what you were thinking?

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,933551

(see the first reply)

Oh my god yes - Bros!!! :^o

I think I feel ill 8-[

Thankfully way after my time as was a child of the 60's/70's - Budgie Jackets, loon pants and scoop neck T shirts plus greatcoats and huge flares - long live prog rock!!!

Considering the relative merits of the alternatives- Isn't that what a discussion forum is all about?

On the topic - i use dunlop "straploks" for a long time and they never failed, they are quite pricey though at 600 czech crowns (30 bucks).

About beer :D : i shouldnt bring this up but czech beer is just sooo way better than american beer O:) don't know if you ever had the opportunity but if you get the chance, you definitely should try Pilsner Urquell (hope the spelling is right). I live in Prague by the way.

The bass player and I both had issues with the nut that holds the hardware onto the strap working loose on our Schallers. This can be something you don't notice until it's too late. A drop of Loc-Tite fixed both of them permanently.

My Paul cases are too tight too allow the strap to be left on the guitar, so I prefer something that can be removed quickly. Is the Grolsch washer easy to remove? Or, do you have to leave it on when you case the guitar?

My Paul cases are too tight too allow the strap to be left on the guitar' date=' so I prefer something that can be removed quickly. Is the Grolsch washer easy to remove? Or, do you have to leave it on when you case the guitar?[/quote'] Yeah, the Grolsch washer comes off quickly enough .... ya just get a good grip on it and stretch it over the strap-pin, then off comes the strap..... after time, it may stretch a bit, feel a bit looser....at which point, you just replace with 2 of the other 4 from the original sixer, or go buy another six-pack [-X=D> It ain't perfect, but it's fairly secure

19 years ago I broke the headstock OFF a late 60's SG, splintering it down to the 2nd fret on 1 side and the 3rd on the other.

I had installed "Mushroom Buttons" on it.

Never again will I trust a guitar to anything less than either Schaller or Dunlop positive straplocks.

19 years ago I broke the headstock OFF a late 60's SG' date=' splintering it down to the 2nd fret on 1 side and the 3rd on the other.

I had installed "Mushroom Buttons" on it.

Never again will I trust a guitar to anything less than either Schaller or Dunlop positive straplocks.

[/quote']

Ouch!

To quote Dan Erlewine (a luthier of 30 years experience) on the subject of fitting strap locks from his book "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" p128 :

"Generally' date=' a guitar's original strap button, and its mounting screw, are smaller than the replacement parts, so you must redrill the mounting hole to accept the new, larger screw."

[/quote']

Interesting comment about the size of the strap button screws as, both from experience and talking to others, it seems that the screws in most of the strap locks are in fact smaller than the originals rather than larger which means that you need to pack the hole not drill it.

Maybe by using smaller screws they can reduce costs.

I tested out the Grolsch strap locks last night at rehearsal on my JL REV, and it would take an act of God for the strap to come off. The only issue is now the strap is married to the guitar (but that's okay). I really only play two of my electrics right now, so I'll just need to purchase another strap..... BTW, my JL Rev fits in the case with the strap, so no issues there..

Archived