Gibson Brands Forums

how do u tune a 12 string?

wardog

sorry for posting in electric, but no one is in acoustic.!!!!

ok, got a surprise from an old friend. a 12-string takamine acoustic! Excited yes, but, i have never played one and do not know how to tune one. It was in a hard case with orginal manufactor card and warrenty. 1986. really cool and seems to be in great shape. i will let it breath out of case and will need to replace strings.

So, how do i tune one. can i use eclectronic tuner like 6 string? which strings get tuned first, odd number or even?

The High E and B strings are in unison...all others are an octave apart...in "standard" tuning.

Use light guage strings, too! If you're going to use heavier strings, tune down at least 1 full step,

or more, and capo up to concert pitch. With light guage strings, you'll be able to tune to concert

pitch, right off. Also FYI, acoustic 12-strings are usually strung with higher octave string to the outside,

and some electrics are done that way, as well. Rickenbacker's are strung so the lower (normal, non-octave)

strings are to the outside...therefore struck first, on the normal down stroke. You cannot change the

configuration, without changing the nut! Just in case you were curious?

CB

The High E and B strings are in unison...all others are an octave apart...in "standard" tuning.

Use light guage strings' date=' too! If you're going to use heavier strings, tune down at least 1 full step,

or more, and capo up to concert pitch. With light guage strings, you'll be able to tune to concert

pitch, right off. Also FYI, acoustic 12-strings are usually strung with higher octave string to the outside,

and some electrics are done that way, as well. Rickenbacker's are strung so the lower (normal, non-octave)

strings are to the outside...therefor struck first, on the normal down stroke. You cannot change the

configuration, without changing the nut! Just in case you were curious?

CB[/quote']

OK, i am lost. so, i tune what!!!! for the newbie i am what is the easiest tuning for 12 string . i would like standard tuning since i am still learning on a 6 string.

people do post in the acoustic room...but they won't if acoustic questions get posted here!

anyway...I have always tuned my AJ-18S-12 LH EADGBE starting with the standard strings and then moving to the octaves..always sounded great...however, I just recently started tuning D#G#C#F#A#D# and I really like the sound and playability...

AJ-18S-12 LH:

AJ18S12LH.jpg

AJ18S12LH1.jpg

AJ18S12LH2.jpg

purchased off ebay for $225 with a nice beat-up but solid case...the last two I saw

on went for over $500! previously owned by a member of the Outlaws...nice

low action, great tone and projection...

Your guitar was made at the

Zaozhuang Saehan, China

May 1998

Production Number: 7042

Zaozhuang Saehan Music Co., Ltd. This company has been around for 40 years and

specialize in acoustic guitars. The have factories in Korea and China.

http://www.elderly.com/items/26U-1263.htm

to follow up on the Ric comment' date=' I did some research on McGuinn's guitars and discovered that although his electric Rics have always been strung the "Ric"way, his acoustic Martins have always been strung the "traditional"way...[/quote']

Correct! And, it makes sense, really. His Rickenbacker "stuff" was always a bit more "lead"

oriented, as he had various other guitarists to do fill in rhythm stuff..(granted, they changed

off, between lead work, quite often)...but, with his acoustic sets, which are usually "solo,"

and a bit more of an accompaniment duty, the traditional stringing of his Martin works better, that way...IMHO.

He does, of course, do some "leads" with the Martin 12, and his 7 string Martin, too.

CB

thanks dubstar and sorry for not posting in acoustic. at the time only a guest was in acoustic. I may wait on strings and have her check out. i feel i sight hump just south of the bridge. not sure if it is a structural issue. any idea's.

any recommendation on which brand?

Because they last longer and it's a mess to change strings on a 12 strings, I always put some ELIXIR polyweb 10-47.

With those, it will be a few months before you change strings and with that gauge, you can tune standard, like your 6 strings guitar.

Because they last longer and it's a mess to change strings on a 12 strings' date=' I always put some ELIXIR polyweb 10-47.

With those, it will be a few months before you change strings and with that gauge, you can tune standard, like your 6 strings guitar.[/quote']

Yep...same strings I use, too...Norm!

CB

Just to stick my nose in. Ever since I first heard Taj Mahals 'Giant Step/De Old Folks' album, I have always tuned my 12 strings down to at least D if not lower. Taj has it down to C on some songs. Gives a 12 that great Ledbeally/Blind Willie McTell sound.

Wardog' date='

Just out of curiosity. I have never had a Takamine. If you get a chance remove the TRC. Does it have a single truss

rod or dual? (2) I know mine has two. Do they all?[/quote']

no trc. tr accessable threw soundhole. only one. i read a briek note online about the f-389 having the lawsuit headstock. u know anything about that

people do post in the acoustic room...but they won't if acoustic questions get posted here!

anyway...I have always tuned my AJ-18S-12 LH EADGBE starting with the standard strings and then moving to the octaves..always sounded great...however' date=' I just recently started tuning D#G#C#F#A#D# and I really like the sound and playability...

AJ-18S-12 LH:

[img']http://homepage.mac.com/dubstar/.Pictures/guitars/AJ18S12LH.jpg[/img]

AJ18S12LH1.jpg

AJ18S12LH2.jpg

purchased off ebay for $225 with a nice beat-up but solid case...the last two I saw

on went for over $500! previously owned by a member of the Outlaws...nice

low action, great tone and projection...

Your guitar was made at the

Zaozhuang Saehan, China

May 1998

Production Number: 7042

Zaozhuang Saehan Music Co., Ltd. This company has been around for 40 years and

specialize in acoustic guitars. The have factories in Korea and China.

http://www.elderly.com/items/26U-1263.htm

Dubstar,

I had started typing saying you have your 12 string strung completely wrong until I realized you were left handed. I was so busy looking at the strings, I missed the pick guard! Nice Guitar by the way.

I have played a 12 string for many, many years. My current one is an Ovation Legacy LX. Very fine guitar. and I have always Tuned in this way (starting with the lowest sounding pair): E - Octave and E, A - Octave, and A, D - Octave, and D, G Octave and G, B - Unison and B, E Unison and E. I have always used D'Addario strings for the 12 string as Ovations have a unique bridge that that doesn't require string pegs. The strings run through the bridge and you can see the ball ends. D'Addario's are color coded to the string pair. Restringing a 12 string is always a female dog, as I it can be easy to mix up the strings so the color ends help an old man like me keep things straight.

Archived