Gibson Brands Forums

scratch?

Th3bklyndream

Well This is how my guitar looked about a week after i bought it (September)

P8260095.jpg

This is how it looks now: I changed the pickup bracelet thing...the bad part was...1. It didn't quite fit to the pre-screw holes...2. I didn't know how to install it! so I after hours of figetting i got it...but scratched the guitar in the process..So i'm just asking...can i get the scratches buffed out?

100_0206-1.jpg

100_0208-1.jpg

100_0231-1.jpg

I'm sure there's others here who can help you out. I wouldn't worry too much about a scratch though, just battle scars I think, nothing bad.

I heard some car polish stuff works well for that, Turtle Wax I think but not sure, I don't know. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, trying to dull the finish on the guitar just a bit. lol

If the paint is broken, and the wood or undercoat exposes, scratch remover won't cut it. I cannot tell from the photo, but my impression is of a large screwdriver scar from the surround ring all the way down the face. Is that correct? Or is it just the flash glare? Scratch remover will handle things like pick marks, and maybe belt buckle scaring if its light enough. It is a light abrasive, and works by grinding away the edges of the mark until flat. Trying to polish out too big a scratch just leaves a bigger mark, but one with fuzzy and flat edges. Bigger scars must be filled, sanded and polished. Many people find a shade of nail polish that matches the finish color exactly. Paint sticks are available from places like Stew-Mac, but melting, sanding and polishing it back to mint condition probably won't happen on a touchup basis.

Heh. Battle scars. Well, I guess the honeymoon is over, eh? If the scratches dont come out, dont worry about it. Someday you'll look back on them fondly. I have some real doozies.

Sorry. I dont have any other advice for you. All of my guitars have some sort of battle scarring...except for that one in the case in the closet that I only use for recording...that rarely gets played.

If its black(ebony) i'd go with black magic marker and call it "lesson learned".

This actually works quite well. I'd opt for a Sharpie. Just make sure you have a rag handy to wipe off the excess marker around the scratches before it dries/sets.

I did this to a Squire I bought used with some really heinous chips in the paint. Worked great! From a couple feet away, they are completely hidden.

There's people to pay top $$ for a relic guitar finish... you know, making the guitar look worn, played, not new.

If it was something that could affect the integrity of the instrument or, say, some deep scratch that exposes the wood in some bad way that it could be harmed or something, then yeah, but a simple scratch is not that big of a deal IMHO.

You got yourself a cool guitar there, have lots of fun with it!

For one thank you. and to answer everyone's replies: Yes i might try that sharpie.magic marker thing. yeah it's the glare. From like about..3 feet away you can't see the scratch. Yes its in Black/Ebony (got it before they hiked up the prices :D/ . now that i think about compared to that Gibson BFG or something...my guitar just looks...used. And finally its a good guitar, plays great!

I actually listened to what some folks told me here, used the rubbing compound thing, and after 2 coats, the guitar now looks so very nice, aged but shiny, and no scratches!

Of course, I tried with another guitar, the black one Special I just finished. The results were just so very nice, and no powertools needed!

Thanks to all those who helped with advice!

Archived