Gibson Brands Forums

OT: Gibson.. jeff beck oxblood

TWANG

I

The Flying V2 was introduced in mid-1979' date=' taking pride of place on the cover of the June '79 price list,

1st June 1979 $1199

1st July 1980 $1299

[/quote']Yup, and it was Gibson's second most expensive solid body, the Artist LP w/active circuitry was the most expensive, at $1300...a Custom was NOT $1300 full list price far from it. More like $1100 list, street would be around $975, and he claimed a special sale price of $1300?

In 1955' date=' a Standard went for $235 and a Custom for $360.

By 1960 a Standard would cost you $265 and a Custom $375. The case would run ya another $40 or so bucks.

Back when I went looking for my first "good "guitar - a '58 Lester would go for around $350. That was more scratch than I could come up with back then so I opted to go with the $150 '58 Tele. While the Tele remained my #1 guitar for alot of decades this definitely falls in the one of those not too bright life decisions. [/quote']No one hand any idea an original 59 burst LP would go for big bucks. I passed on one in 1979 for like $3500, seemed like way too much money at the time. I later got to work on it, did a pickup swap for the owner and he let me keep the original pickups. I still have them.

It's a toss up between intelligent al

and taylor player.

ignore it' date=' or disinfect.

I can't make up my mind.

TWANG

ps:

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/gib80p21.php

they'll probably be able to tell you list.

I'd venture list price was well above the reintroduced flying V listed below:

The Flying V2 was introduced in mid-1979, taking pride of place on the cover of the June '79 price list,

1st June 1979 $1199

1st July 1980 $1299

I'd also like to point out that I paid 378.00 for a rick 4001 in 1981 with hard case.

But locally, they sold for nearly a thousand bucks.

So listing music emporiums prices, a catalogue not well known at all at the time, is pure utter nonsense for sure.

Back in those days, it all depended on where you lived. And commonly we all paid higher prices.

The mere fact that you none of this was taken into account.. that is: many places asked for and got LIST, tells me that once

again somebody's full of theirself. and not much interested in being friendly, exchaning information, being supportive, or even

enjoying the forum.

On second thought, I think I'll go for the spray.

[/quote']

Back in the early 1980's there were these Gibson Sonex, even in high school they were considered the extreme poor mans Les Paul, and you couldn't get one brand new for no less than $300. And It was by far Gibson's el cheapy brand.... there is NO WAY a brand new Gibson LP custom would be priced at $600 in 1981... I was seriously looking at Les Paul Customs starting in 1980 and never saw a brand new one for less than $1200.... I mean seriously.... I was lucky to get my LP custom for $1300 because it was so popular due to the Randy Rhodes association.

As an example the Les Paul firebrand series was hard to come by for $500... If you were lucky you could have one for about $600 and that was a pretty good deal, and those were pretty popular in the early 80's.

I'm not sure where they got that list price of $600 for a Les Paul custom back in 1981, but I sure would have like to of been there... I would had saved $700...

And here's another example... My Dad purchased me a Charvel strat in 1982 as my graduation gift, and I know for a fact my Dad paid $700 for it in 1982, and it wasn't even one of Charvels premier models.

Back in the early 1980's there were these Gibson Sonex' date=' even in high school they were considered the extreme poor mans Les Paul, and you couldn't get one brand new for no less than $300. And It was by far Gibson's el cheapy brand.... there is NO WAY a brand new Gibson LP custom would be priced at $600 in 1981... I was seriously looking at Les Paul Customs starting in 1980 and never saw a brand new one for less than $1200.... I mean seriously.... I was lucky to get my LP custom for $1300 because it was so popular due to the Randy Rhodes association.

As an example the Les Paul firebrand series was hard to come by for $500... If you were lucky you could have one for about $600 and that was a pretty good deal, and those were pretty popular in the early 80's.

I'm not sure where they got that list price of $600 for a Les Paul custom back in 1981, but I sure would have like to of been there... I would had saved $700...

And here's another example... My Dad purchased me a Charvel strat in 1982 as my graduation gift, and I know for a fact my Dad paid $700 for it in 1982, and it wasn't even one of Charvels premier models.

[/quote']HELLO....is your belltone on?

"The Flying V2 was introduced in mid-1979, taking pride of place on the cover of the June '79 price list,

1st June 1979 $1199

1st July 1980 $1299

Yup, and it was Gibson's second most expensive solid body, the Artist LP w/active circuitry was the most expensive, at $1300...a Custom was NOT $1300 full list price far from it. More like $1100 list, street would be around $975, and he claimed a special sale price of $1300?

• 1 year later...
This all brings up a question which has been bothering me lately.

Today a new Gibson Les Paul runs anywhere from 2 (standard) to 4 thousand (custom)' date=' and the murphy aged and special limited editions cost a whole lot more than that. How much did they cost in the old days? I know Gibsons were always a bit pricey, but it seems to me that they must have gone up in price even more than inflation would explain, or am I being unfair?

Maybe some of the older and more experienced of you out there could offer a little insight...[/quote']

In answer to my question, Duane wrote this:

I purchased my LP custom new in 1981 and it went for a cool $1300' date=' and this was during one of GC's Labor Day events[/quote']

In the "Gibson Les Paul Book" by Tony Bacon and Paul Day, it states:

"The July 1980 pricelist shows six Les Paul models: [...] the Custom ($949, or with nickel plated hardware $899), the Pro Deluxe ($899), the Standard ($849), and the Deluxe ($799)." This quote is taken from page 53.

These are MSRP's, not street prices, so the actual cost of a Custom was was less than $949.00

[biggrin]

A "cool $1300", Duane? Really, Duane? Now I understand why Mr. Nelson said you were full of it.

Are you going to delete this post as well?

[blush] :)[lol]

No need to abuse Duanes posts you all seem to be forgetting that Duane is one of the main posters on this forum and has given most of us very accurate and needed information. Relax Guys!

Thanx[cool] I try

I'm digging seeing the old hand-written Guitar Center Bill of Sale form!

Naturally' date=' some folks will claim you dummied it up on your computer ... [cool

Jim

not much I can do about that. I'm actually quite touched that some would even care after such a time[biggrin]

Duane' date=' I personally wouldn't have gone through the trouble of digging up that bill, but good on you for doing it.[/quote']

Really no trouble at all, anything to help those to get a better night sleep[biggrin] .... Plus I posted the same image on EpiWiki and here some time ago

Archived