Gibson Brands Forums

"The Guitar Redistribution Act of 2009"

midiman56

Actually very astute observations....should you ever get the chance' date=' rent/watch a film called "Swing Kids"...

Mr.Nelson[/quote']

I donno, after I lived in Germany for a summer I got kinda WWII-ed out. But I've got a morbid curiosity about dystopic life.

I ask you, I ask everyone "what would you do?"

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I donno' date=' after I lived in Germany for a summer I got kinda WWII-ed out. But I've got a morbid curiosity about dystopic life.

I ask you, I ask everyone "[i']what would you do[/i]?"

You (and I) would do what everyone else would do and react and act consistent with our senses of self-preservation and survival. our flight or fight responses and our moral and ethical make up....Swing Kids was about youth in Germany during WW II who played the Hitler Youth thing during the day but lived in a world of jazz and swing music at night trying to emulate the youth of the USA..good film about right and wrong, adaptation and consequences.

Mr.Nelson

"How many more times...?"

Which

...guitar is your "go to?"

...guitar taken to the crossroads?

...guitar taken to a desert island?

...guitar taken to heaven?

Here is where I have to say that guitar collections do not impress me.

In the sense of purpose of a guitar... collections are wasteful... and natural law abhors waste.

If profiteering is the motive... taking advantage of other human beings is shameful.

If narcissism is the motive... then that person is a phoney, not a true artist/musician.

Chose the instruments (they are merely tools) that permit you to reach your highest peak as an artist. Play them with every ounce of creativity and skill that you can summon. Release back into the market whatever you cannot use. Finding nirvana requires this path.

Once you take this path, what guitar you play is so much less important than the heart and soul that you play it with... and it certainly does not matter to you what guitar anyone else is playing.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Errr' date='...hate to break it to ya,..... but all todays' Epi's are either from Japan, China or Korean. American's should be buying American Made if you really want to help the US Economy.... so get your *** down to the local guitar store in your Ford and buy a GIBSON!!!! =D>

(Ooooops, looks like Nic's actually from Canada! lol)[/quote']

My comment was international, you'll note I made no reference to the US economy.

However, every guitar I own right now was made in the US. All four of my cars are US. I live in SE Michigan, so don't tell me about supporting American manufacturing.

Thanks...

No' date=' I'm not from Canada. There's one spot in the US that is North of Canada. Look at a map.

[/quote']

Uh huh...Nic and I are north of Canada...in a magical place which is like Canada but with a less-colourful money and a Stanley Cup winning team...

But Nic should also clarify that we can't see Russia from our houses...we aren't in Alaska...

Mr.Nelson

Well SID' date=' since you asked so nicely:

Here are some photos, of my 1964 "L" series (3-tone Sunburst) Stratocaster.

It's had a bit of a story behind it...how it was purchased, when I sold it (twice), and how I recovered

it, from the person I last sold it to, what he'd done to it, how I got it back...and own it to this day.

(It will NEVER be sold again, I can assure you!)...LOL!

Edit: WTF....these photos are 1-1 1/2 stops darker, on this site, than the originals, and the copies,

on Photobucket!!! I've redone them 3 times, and it's always the same! What's up, with that?

(Maybe it's because they're of a "Strat" and not an Epiphone guitar? LOL!)

photos of gorgeous Strat snipped for space conservation

CB[/quote']

Charlie! What happened to the original case? It's sooo undignified to have such a beautiful guitar in the improper case. That just won't do, you know. You must get the proper case...I am sooo disappointed...Nice guitar, Charlie (every time I write "Charlie" I feel like Sarah Palin...and that's not good...)

Mr.Nelson

Uh huh...Nic and I are north of Canada...in a magical place which is like Canada but with a less-colourful money and a Stanley Cup winning team... But Nic should also clarify that we can't see Russia from our houses...we aren't in Alaska... Mr.Nelson

Anywhere above the 42nd parallel is north of a part of Canada (Windsor' date=' Ontario) so that leaves something like what, 16 states. But there is no USA point north of Barrows, Alaska and Barrows is nearly 10 degrees south of Ellsemere Island, Canada's northernmost point. So neither of you can be in the USA and farther north of all of Canada.

Gee...ography is such fun..., now let's all play some music.

Anywhere above the 42nd parallel is north of a part of Canada (Windsor' date=' Ontario) so that leaves something like what, 16 states. But there is no USA point north of Barrows, Alaska and Barrows is nearly 10 degrees south of Ellsemere Island, Canada's northernmost point. So neither of you can be in the USA and farther north of all of Canada.

Gee...ography is such fun..., now let's all play some music.

Nobody said the "whole" of Canada.. I just went outside in 7 degree weather...and that's 7 U.S. not with the Canadian exchange rate so that's Minus -14C for those in the balmy south in Windsor and Essex County. and the GPS in my Tahoe says...42.63 North ... But...If I actually travel South I will end up in Canada...not simply that I am north of Canada by latitude ..Waterloo, Iowa is north of Canada by that reckoning..

Mr.Nelson

Charlie! What happened to the original case? It's sooo undignified to have such a beautiful guitar in the improper case. That just won't do' date=' you know. You must get the proper case...I am sooo disappointed...Nice guitar, Charlie (every time I write "Charlie" I feel like Sarah Palin...and that's not good...)

Mr.Nelson[/quote']

LOL!...Well, the tweed case is a "Fender case," but it's NOT the original. The original, unfortunately...was not in any kind of condition to salvage. Or, believe me, I would have tried! So, I had to get another. And, since this one was 1/10 the price (of what they wanted for a real '64 case)...with much better padding, and protection, I opted to go that

way. It's not really a "collector's piece," because I will never part with it (again), and the body (only) has been refinished/restored...30 years ago, before the "vintage" craze hit!! Believe me, if you'd have seen it, you'd under-

stand, the decision to restore it! Everything else, except the rear (plastic plate), which was missing entirely, when I

got it back, and the selector switch (it's a 5-way), which I had installed later, is totally original!

And, even if I were interested in selling it, the "original case" is history, so the value of even a period correct case, would not really increase the overall value (enough to worry about) since it would not be "the original case," that came with the guitar. Besides, those clowns will figure out the weirdest things, to devalue your guitar, to get the price down...so I've never enjoyed that whole process...even as a casual observer.

CB

LOL!...Well' date=' the tweed case is a "Fender case," but it's NOT the original. The original, unfortunately...was not in any kind of condition to salvage. Or, believe me, I would have tried! So, I had to get another. And, since this one was 1/10 the price (of what they wanted for a real '64 case)...with much better padding, and protection, I opted to go that

way. It's not really a "collector's piece," because I will never part with it (again), and the body (only) has been refinished/restored...30 years ago, before the "vintage" craze hit!! Believe me, if you'd have seen it, you'd under-

stand, the decision to restore it! Everything else, except the rear (plastic plate), which was missing entirely, when I

got it back, and the selector switch (it's a 5-way), which I had installed later, is totally original!

And, even if I were interested in selling it, the "original case" is history, so the value of even a period correct case, would not really increase the overall value (enought to worry about) since it would not be "the original case," that came with the guitar. Besides, those clowns will figure out the weirdest things, to devalue your guitar, to get the price down...so I've never enjoyed that whole process...even as a casual observer.

CB

[/quote']

I was just giving you some business..I don't have the original case for my '62 and I'm not spending over a grand to get one either so it's in an Anvil flight case from the 70's...Those Tweed cases are nice though too...yeah, I noticed that you have a 50's Reissue trem plate on it..Last year (October of 2007 actually) I sold my '58 Les Paul Custom to pay off my ex and help my son get a house. The original transaction took place at a guitar show in Dallas but the actual examination was in a hotel room in Dallas and the exchange took place at a bank in a conference room... I went to finalize the deal at the hotel and when I got there there was another guy with a camera constantly snapping pictures and the buyer had a black light and went on about how there was re-spray and funky solder connections trying to talk down the original deal. I shut the case and told the guy who had acted as my agent in selling it that we were finished here and headed toward the door but then suddenly the guitar was OK and we were back to the original deal lol...funny how that happens...a week later the guitar with those photos was on E Bay for seven grand more than I sold it...but no one jumped at it lol..anyway, nice guitar.

Mr.Nelson

I was just giving you some business..I don't have the original case for my '62 and I'm not spending over a grand to get one either so it's in an Anvil flight case from the 70's...Those Tweed cases are nice though too...yeah' date=' I noticed that you have a 50's Reissue trem plate on it..Last year (October of 2007 actually) I sold my '58 Les Paul Custom to pay off my ex and help my son get a house. The original transaction took place at a guitar show in Dallas but the actual examination was in a hotel room in Dallas and the exchange took place at a bank in a conference room... I went to finalize the deal at the hotel and when I got there there was another guy with a camera constantly snapping pictures and the buyer had a black light and went on about how there was re-spray and funky solder connections trying to talk down the original deal. I shut the case and told the guy who had acted as my agent in selling it that we were finished here and headed toward the door but then suddenly the guitar was OK and we were back to the original deal lol...funny how that happens...a week later the guitar with those photos was on E Bay for seven grand more than I sold it...but no one jumped at it lol..anyway, nice guitar.

Mr.Nelson[/quote']

Thanks, Nelson...I appreciate your sentiments. And, I know exactly what you mean, about your experience, selling

your LP. It can be really (almost) comical, what they'll do...just to try to get you down, on the price.

And, yeah...the back plate was right out of "Guitar Center," years ago. but... it does what it's supposed to do. I do still have the "ashtray" (original) trem cover and the handle, as well, but never use them, so they're in the case pocket.

CB

No' date=' I'm not from Canada. There's one spot in the US that is North of Canada. Look at a map.

[/quote']

=D> ...my post was supposed to be a topical "Trade deficit" pun! Looks like it did not turn out that way.........but thanks for the Geography lesson anyway !

PS - .. Actually that spot know as Alaska you refer to would in fact be "North East" of Canada. Maybe you should buy a new map :-k

Or' date=' being "Communtists" they'll just be Shot, and their family will be billed for the bullet!

Guitars, after all, ARE "Fascist Killers," at least according to Woody Guthrie! ;>)[/quote']

Aw, Woody Guthrie! =D> It was so great to see him hale and hardy at the inauguration concert: flicking his ancient banjo, teasing the crowd, and sprinting off the stage right in front of Springsteen. Old? Who's old?

Can't shoot a convicted unlicensed Guitarist: that in and of itself isn't justifable to the civilian population. But the convicted DOES get a black mark on his record, which means he cannot play in public or keep an instrument at his home. He's also barred from the public Music Schools were the approved students can sign guitars in and out for the purposes of study.

He'll live, but he can't get caught near a guitar again or he goes straight to jail. Thank goodness for underground luthiers, handcrafting instruments for black-marked heroes.

Aw' date=' Woody Guthrie! =D> It was so great to see him hale and hardy at the inauguration concert: flicking his ancient banjo, teasing the crowd, and sprinting off the stage right in front of Springsteen. Old? Who's old?

Can't shoot a convicted unlicensed Guitarist: that in and of itself isn't justifable to the civilian population. But the convicted DOES get a black mark on his record, which means he cannot play in public or keep an instrument at his home. He's also barred from the public Music Schools were the approved students can sign guitars in and out for the purposes of study.

He'll live, but he can't get caught near a guitar again or he goes straight to jail. Thank goodness for underground luthiers, handcrafting instruments for black-marked heroes. [/quote']

That was some neat trick if Woody Guthrie was at the inauguration since Woody died in 1967...I think you saw his son, Arlo, who is sixty one...Woody would be ninety six if he were still alive...

Mr.Nelson

:-k ...my post was supposed to be a topical "Trade deficit" pun! Looks like it did not turn out that way.........but thanks for the Geography lesson anyway !

PS - .. Actually that spot know as Alaska you refer to would in fact be "North East" of Canada. Maybe you should buy a new map :-k

If you are standing along the Detroit River you are directly north of Windsor Ontario. Alaska looks to be west of Canada on google maps.

My signature guitar would be a telecaster. I wouldn't change anything on it, just get Fender to put a goof ball paint job on it, with a printed version of my signature and have them sell it for twice what it's worth.

Archived