Gibson Brands Forums

G'day all !!!

RaSTuS

I've just joined the forums and wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm a beginning guitarist, teaching myself, can't afford a regular tutor. just wanna get good enough to sound ok, no professional ambitions.

In the last couple of months I've bought 2 Epi's:

Nov08 - SG-400 Custom, Black. I love this guitar, everything worked out of the box and the finish was pretty good, a little orange peel effect in the paintwork, but I can fix that with some polish and some elbow grease. The jack came lose in the first couple of weeks, but that was easily fixed.

Dec08 - LP Ultra II, Midnight Ebony. The finish on this was great except for the neck, the build up of paint where the binding had been masked off was huge and rough (no one had touched it after removing the tape), like a step and extremely uncomfortable to play. I spent about 4-5hrs polishing it back down to a smooth finish which had the positive side effect of turning the satin finish into a gloss finish (not big on satin finish necks). One of the jacks on this guitar also came loose.

All in all I'm reasonably happy with them both, as they stand now, but can't help feeling that a little more attention to detail, especially as regards finish, would go a long way, after all they were both supposed to be from the custom shop.

:-

Welcome to the forum !!! How you liking that Ultra II ???? I'm kind of intrigued by them' date=' but have yet to try one....[/quote']

The Ultra II plays really nice (now I fixed the neck) and the NanoMag does a good job of impersonating an acoustic, though not perfectly. The number of sounds you can get out of it are amazing, I'm only a beginner but I'm sure the more I learn the better I'll be able to explore those sounds.

Another plus is the chambered body, makes it lighter and really nicely balanced.

Rob

Archived