Gibson Brands Forums

Notes or lyrics -- overcoming the weak spots?

Steven Lister

My mind started to wander, in the middle of the 2nd song.

Dreamin' I was at sea just my baby and me and the words started coming out wrong.

-- Jimmy Buffet

I make a lot of mistakes. So I can relate to Jimmy's plight.

But I've learned how to disguise the goofs made on my Epi, so I slide right on by those.

It's the lyrics that trip me up and I haven't quite nailed down why or the coolest way to carry on.

What's everyone else doing?

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I can slide through the instrumental "goofs" pretty well (once is a goof, twice...it was on purpose...LOL!),

but, with my "memory" or lack thereof, lyrics...unless it's a song I've known forever, and played just about

as often...I (more often than I'd like) will mix up the order, of the verses, at times. One reason (excuse?..LOL)

is..that I was never really "the singer," but did mostly backup stuff, except in a few instances. So, I never

really learned the words, to alot of what we played..."back in the day!' Was more worried about the guitar

parts, etc. I've always considered it a "failing" on my part, too. But, I'm getting a bit better, now...but only

a bit! ;>b Still don't play "out" enough, and consistant enough, to really help much. Good excuse, anyway... ;>)

Oh...and judging by what I've witnessed, around here anyway, I'm hardly "alone," in that fact....LOL!

CB

When I compose a melody line I do it with the piano/keyboard.... For some reason lyrics and melody lines have a tendency to flow more when playing the piano.

I have tendancy to get a little self indulging with the guitar, which stumps the lines of creativity concerning lyrical and vocal melody progression.

Riffs and bad notes:

If you have a decent grasp on scales and fretboard patterns, you are never more than 2 frets from the right note, considering that any note in the scale is a good note. The note in the scale where you slide may not exactly be where you meant to go, but it won't create dissonance.

I hit a bad note here and there and sometimes my bandmates will smile and look over, but I recover quickly and they don't notice or they aren't sure whether I meant to do it or if it was in my intended riff. Never get mad at yourself, just keep on trucking and make something good out of it. I just chuckle and make it work.

Lyrics are my weak area. My voice is on the baritone end of the scale and I can't remember peoples' names if I haven't seen them in a while, much less the lyrics to the song I sang a month ago. When I did 5 or 6 vocals in a night to give the lead singer a rest, it was with a music stand concealed as best I could and large print lyrics for a safety net. Our bass player can dictate lyrics as someone types to just about any song he's ever heard. I envy people who can do that. I also envy people who can sing two octaves. Sting is one of those. Just listen to him sing "Don't Stand So Close to Me". He starts out singing in a normal range and then flips up an octave. His normal range is my straining high limit.

My answer to forgotten lyrics is to sing the first verse again while you try to remember the words to the right one.

Riffs and bad notes:

If you have a decent grasp on scales and fretboard patterns' date=' you are never more than 2 frets from the right note, considering that any note in the scale is a good note. The note in the scale where you slide may not exactly be where you meant to go, but it won't create dissonance.[/quote']

With this advice you have shown new players the path to salvation -- and the reason to learn scales/patterns.

Experience brings comfort in knowing that every note on that fretboard is a good note -- resolve to solve, and play on.

My answer to forgotten lyrics is to sing the first verse again while you try to remember the words to the right one.

I like that. I need to put it into my reflex bank.

Singing is never comfortable for me' date=' but playing feels like "home." I think I mentally lapse into my comfort zone and lose focus on the lyrics. I just noticed that I screwed up Jimmy's lyric above and had to edit it..., as pentence for that I'll give him another verse:

[center']One o'clock in the morning, people piling in through the door.

Drinks are still comin' and I'm barely hummin', and the audience is screamin' for more

-- Jimmy Buffet.[/center]

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

If you hit a bad note in a solo, stick on it, shake it a little, then slowly bend it up until it's in key, then continue on with your improv. By calling attention to the "wrong" note, you turn it into a "blue" note, and thereby a cool little trick instead of a mistake. That's what I do, anyway. It works up to 3 times per set... Much more than that, you blow your cover, LOL!

My mind started to wander' date=' in the middle of the 2nd song.

Dreamin' I was at sea just my baby and me and the words started coming out wrong.[/b']

-- Jimmy Buffet

.......BLUE NOTE

I make a few mistakes. So I relate to Jimmy's plight.

Disguising all the goofs...And slide to make them right.

The lyrics trip me up....I try to nail it down

It seems to be the coolest..... way to carry on.

What's everyone doing?

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby...,

I'm really not seeing any problem with your lyrics...

Archived