Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Angus Young Signiature SG

Yew

Why dont epiphone make one, they could even make it like one of his later SG's by taking off the lyre vibrola, keeping the lightning inlays (hey, they do iommi crosses), maybe replacing the epiphone logo with an the word angus, and sticking an angus sig pickup in the bridge and a standard epi in the neck

angus_young-photo.jpg

making it look like that one, possibly saying ACDC on the truss rod cover

I think an Epiphone Angus Young SG is a fantastic idea and I would almost certainly buy one. It always confused why they have not done this already actually, yet Zack Wylde has got a whole load of signature guitars!

I don't even think they would need to change anything from the Gibson version (apart from the headstock, of course). I think it's already fine as it is, and with an Angus Young signature pickup it would sound great!

Please Epiphone!

and with an Angus Young signature pickup it would sound great!

Please Epiphone!

I had this pickup in my g400 and while it was an upgrade from stock epi junk, it still sounded terrible to me...somewhat muddy, lacked sustain, and it was literally quiet (less volume) compared to the stock pickup in my elite sg

Played an angus signature guitar at a local shop and found it to be better, minus the odd tiny neck profile, but the sound was still similar enough for me to dislike it.

I get better ac/dc tones out of a 498t which is a stock elitist pickup by rolling the volume down on the guitar to about 7-8. It gives it lots of bite but smoothes it out for a more vintage tone too. Also had good luck with a 61 reissue with stock 57 classic while testing an amp at guitar center.

I would never recommend the AY pickup to anyone who ever plans on playing anything modern, even 90s AC/DC as its just too muddy to throw any gain at. It only works well if you like putting a tube amp on 10 and turning the gain down until it clears up.

Just my $.02 on the subject, others may disagree, but once the new wore off the buyer's remorse set it and I stopped lying to myself and just admitted I hated it. I sold the guitar on ebay because I didn't feel like throwing another pickup at it since I already had a better SG, so I put the cash towards my LP.

I did what Lord Summerisle mentioned... took a '66 dropped in a Angus and a BBII, upgraded the electronics,

tuners, bridge/stoptail, and even replaced the plastic with some upgraded custom replacements from Terrapin

Guitars. The idea was a poor-mans Angus using the Gibson as a model. A tip from a guy I met at GC inspired

the change from the '57 classic at the neck to the BBII which turned out to be the right move I think. I agree

with Thunderstruck that the Angus pickup isn't all it's cracked-up to be but it's not bad overall. The idea of an

Angus sig. is a good one that I'm surprised Epi hasn't moved on. If they did however, I'd really like to see it on

one with the vibrola (with the right engraving) and the have-to-have-it Angus cartoon on the headstock. My

little experiment went pretty well: for thousands less I wound-up with a decent interpretation (IMHO); but Epi

could take this to a whole 'nother level. Hopefully they'll rush this through before the BlackIce tour is over and

the surrounding hoopla fades any further. Obviously that's not gonna happen but I still think that there's more

than enough interest to make it a coveted item. G-400's always seem to take a back seat to the LP's anyway

and a really loved-on one would be nice. The occasional different pickup or color happens, but something really

special would be well recieved by us the G-400 loyalists. I have an Iommi as well, and seeing an Angus built to,

(or hopefully beyond), that seems like sales opportunity in spades. P.S. and if anybody corporate reads this-

Don't forget the Witch Hats!

Wedgie

There you go epiphone, theres about 5 different combinations for you to tihnk over, But most importantly, i would prefer to pay a bit more for a better instrument, and i dont mind you cutting out things like the pidhead inlay and the vibrola, to keep the quality and sound good, (i.e no cutting corners woth wood and pickups, but if you take the vibrola off i dont mind, coz i can allways put a bibsby on)

Ant

(make it or ill club you to death with my epi firebird, to show you the kind of build quality it should be =P)

Just my opinion' date=' but I really hate signature guitars...

Why don't you just buy a good Epi '66 G-400 and make the pick-up mods that you have suggested?

[img']http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/1/2/419612.jpg[/img]

If they made this guitar in dark green with a white pickguard it would be an Angus Signature 'Highway To Hell' era look-alike.

This was the guitar used to record most of Back In Black.

Angus used this guitar extensively through the '79 tour.

angus.jpg

Guest icantbuyafender

I don't know why young hasn't gotten a sig model especially since black ice hit big. and cmon zakk wylde has like 3 LPs and that god awful sg/flyingV thing... and that thing is flat out horrid....

in defense of the angus pup... his sound really came from the amp coupled with a vintage-y and bassy low output humbucker...

meh... I guess its more of a "its got his name on it" thing for the pickup....

I tried... but I can't defend the non spectacular sound... somehow it works for him... so let's leave it at that lol

Epiphone is out of it's mind right now and so is Gibson !! did you guys see that other Gibson Explorer with holes in them most of the forum members didn't like them and I am pretty sure that pretty much everyone didn't like them..what,s wrong with their RND ?? What's with that expensive wilshire reissue and Sg/Flying V Zakk wylde,?? an Angus Young Signature is a great idea !! c'mom Epiphone wouldn't comp up with such great ideas...

Yeah, but there's always a flip side...

remember when the Slash models came out? The Epi website looked like i_love_slash.com...we're gonna have Angus's face leering out at us for 6 months and snippets of You shook me all night long blaring out of our PC speakers every time we go to www.epiphone.com

On a more serious note, Epi would have to get Angus's permission (and probably pay him large amounts of cash) to produce and promote a signature guitar. Maybe he doesn't want to do that...he seems happy enough living quietly in his little Dutch village, smoking 100 Marlboros a day. I guess he has more money than he knows what to do with anyway.

And as long as there's an Angus SG in the Gibson lineup, maybe Gibbyphone have no intention of providing competition for that model...

on a side note, a long way int the future im going to buy a gison sg special, so does anybody know if its possible to change the black pickusp into zebra stripe ones (without buying new pups, just gettinga different colour fascia,) or is the whole bobbin the colour of the top

ant

Since we're speculating away... What makes you think Epiphone have not entertained the thought of producing an Angus SG? Maybe they asked and he simply said no... Maybe Gibson said no. I don't know, we don't know.

Rest assured tho, if Epiphone would have been convinced it would sell, it would have been in production yesterday.

Archived