Gibson Brands Forums

It's finally out of layaway... HNGD to me!!!!!

generation zero

I understand Gen Zero's situation all too well. "They" just don't understand

that it's an investment of sorts - psychologically and financially, just like

jewelry, eh? Before continuing, may I also add: "Yes, I LOVE the GIT!".

Ladies are encouraged by their "trade publications" (Cosmo, ie.) to keep a

hidden stash of cash/bank account for "emergencies", just in case their

gentleman runs out on them. Common financial advice for women from women.

I, too, must keep hidden any additional expenditures on my gear, or hear such

diatribes as: "that could have bought a...new dryer, washer, storage bldg, etc...".

It's OK to spend $$$ on household-related items, but not such selfish things as

YOUR HOBBY? When I replaced the pickups on my raven, I "set the stage" for the

swap by DELIBERATELY opening the back, pretending to look confused, and make

references to "I just don't understand HOW they wired this - it doesn't make sense".

This was done multiple times, with the added comment - "I'm going to RE-WIRE this

guitar the way a LES PAUL is wired!" Once the pups arrived (at work), all was clear

to break out the soldering iron and "re-wire" like a les paul. The new pups stayed

hidden from view until sleight of hand allowed me to make the switch with the old

ones. I then re-wired and announced how pleased I was with the "correct" wiring

vs the "strange" wiring from the factory.

I have an empty LP guitar case into which I have placed my "Beater guitar", and deliberately

left open in plain view. I also open and close it at various times, to allow it to be seen

in both conditions. In the near future, the beater will be replaced "magically" by

something else during the night. The beater will go to work with me, and should the

substitution be discovered, well, I traded my beater and a "bit" of cash for this one!!

Hate to do it this way, but I can play the game, too! Current girlfriend is quickly

heading for auction on Ebay, I don't like not being able to BE ME!!!

Wheeeee! Aren't relationships FUN????

I don't think that's called a relationship.

Had too..........Faded

It's not. Hence the Ebay reference. I can read the proverbial

"writing on the wall" telling me "RUN, RUN, RUN!!!!!"...

The purpose of the post was to illustrate the methodology used to

do an "end-around-run" to obtain the desired result. I have discovered

that the ladies use diversionary tactics such as those mentioned to

accomplish end goals. A bit of subterfuge, if you will...

EDIT: As an afterthought, may I categorically state that all 2008

purchases were financed from unexpected cash inflow such as

production bonus, tax refund, only via "found" cash rather than

from funds intended for required expenses! MY money!!!!!

I might get away with adding a Tele to my arsenal, provided it's in Candy-Cola and has a rosewood board just like the Strat I currently own. Otherwise, my old lady's too sharp. She doesn't play guitar but she's sung in enough bands in her time and has been to thousands of gigs -so, there's no way I can smuggle a ES-335 into my collection and pass it off as something that I've always had just lying around. Truth is, I wouldn't feel very comfortable doing that anyway. We share an old Jeep and there's loads of stuff than needs doing to the house. I'd feel guilty lashing out on a really expensive guitar right now.

The only thing I spend money on without her knowing is the odd couple of beers now and then. Speaking of which, I'm about to finish work for the day...I feel a Sam Adams coming on.

When I replaced the pickups on my raven' date=' I "set the stage" for the

swap by DELIBERATELY opening the back, pretending to look confused, and make

references to "I just don't understand HOW they wired this - it doesn't make sense".

This was done multiple times, with the added comment - "I'm going to RE-WIRE this

guitar the way a LES PAUL is wired!" Once the pups arrived (at work), all was clear

to break out the soldering iron and "re-wire" like a les paul. The new pups stayed

hidden from view until sleight of hand allowed me to make the switch with the old

ones. I then re-wired and announced how pleased I was with the "correct" wiring

vs the "strange" wiring from the factory.[/quote']

I've played a similar game, but in my situation, I'm just "constantly tinkering" with the wiring, and I keep a pile of old junk pickups laying around, in Duncan boxes... That way, when I buy a new set, they blend right in. I then just "rewire" said guitar, and it's all gravy. It's kind of like a game of chess...

However, if there is ever anything in serious need around the house, I do find ways to "come up with" the money. I keep my reserve funds hidden away, but I don't mind tapping into them if they are needed. When I do, I usually just say I took a pay advance from work, and they'll take it out of my check $25 a week until it's paid off. That way, the problem gets covered, and she doesn't have to wonder where I came up with the money. It's all just a mind game I like to play anyway... I'm sure if I gave her every penny, and we had it in the bank, and I told her I wanted or needed a new piece of gear, she would probably let me buy it after the standard begging procedure. With the Les Paul though, after as many extra hours I had to work to get it, I didn't want to beg for it too, I wanted to buy it like a man. You know, under a shroud of secrecy, in fear of a woman's wrath, LOL!

And to wrighty, no harm no foul... I mistook your post as my own brand of sarcasm, not at face value as you intended it... Simple misunderstanding. All is well, no hard feelings! :D

..... With the Les Paul though' date=' after as many extra hours I had to work to get it, I didn't want to beg for it too, I wanted to buy it like a man. You know, under a shroud of secrecy, in fear of a woman's wrath, LOL!....

[/quote']

LMAO

Oh god, too true, too f*****g true!

LOL

Call it selfish if you want' date=' I've worked months and months worth of 75 to 80 hour work weeks to be able to buy it. I have also done my fair share of contributing to our bills, so I am not neglecting any responsibilities in this purchase either. The only reason for being sneaky about it is that even though it was my money, made by me, before we were married, I know I would never be able to convince her that ANY guitar was worth this much money... I may eventually buy more guitars with her permission, but they will likely be Epis or equivalently priced guitars... I seriously doubt I will ever be allowed to spend this kind of money on a guitar now that I have WILLINGLY submitted control of all my finances to her. Forgive me if I wanted one last hurrah here at the end of my single life. I'm sure there were smarter ways to spend 2 grand right now, but I saw this opportunity and took it.

And while I may play games in hiding it from her, if she were to come out and ask where I got it, how much I paid for it, and where the money came from, I would tell her without hesitation. I just don't plan on walking into the living room with it and saying "hey honey, look what I just spent two month's pay on!" So, I would appreciate it if you would not be so judgemental. You sent me a pm a while back asking me to show respect for you in your threads, and since then I have, along with an apology... Please show me the same courtesy.

As for the pick guard, I don't like them on transparent finishes, because they obstruct the beauty of the wood beneath. I prefer a pickguard on solid color Les Pauls, like the ebony or goldtop finishes... it breaks the monotony of the solid color and gives the overall design depth and character. But on a woodgrain finish, I like to see as much of the beautiful wood as possible. Plenty of iconic players over the past 40 years or so have shared my opinion... And as for the holes, I will probably end up filling them with a matching wood touch-up stick... I was just saying that for this kind of investment, it would be nice if Gibson made it the buyer's choice to install the guard like they do on the Standard, so that those like myself who prefer the Traditional's features but do not want the guard installed wouldn't have to "deal with" two holes in an otherwise perfect instrument. [/quote']

Congratulations she's is a stunning beauty. You are definitely the envy of all. And I don't like pick guards either, all they do is cover the beautiful finish of an instrument.

If you saved the money outside of your family budget and you play professionally then you deserve to treat yourself to something special for all of your hard work, but $2200 just might make you lose a little sleep with a guilty conscience.

Beautiful axe, Zero!

Now, I hope that you bought her the multi-thousand dollar diamond when you guys were engaged. You can always feel comfortable that her guitar is on her finger and yours is in the case. That would be a good arguement, except for the fact that you sneaked it in the back door and didn't fess up to the purchase.

If it was Cubic Zirconia...you are in trouble... You can't point to her finger and say that.

Archived