Gibson Brands Forums

New CJ-165 Rosewood

Jerry K

I ordered one from Music Villa in Bozeman and it arrived this morning. Yay! As usual when opening a guitar box that has been shipped a long way the guitar sounded dead when first removed from the box. Must be the trip across Nevada or something. Probably pretty dry there now. Incoming guitars always take a couple of hours to start sounding good. In the afternoon the rosewood warmth and shimmer began to show. It sounds pretty decent now and I suspect it will continue to improve dramatically for a while, new guitar built this year, the structure still settling in...

It's a lot like my Bubinga L-00 in general feel and size. The body is an inch or more shorter than the L-00. At 4 1/2 inches deep in the lower bout, it's around a half inch deeper than the L-00. The lower and upper bouts are about half an inch wider than the L-00. Because of the rosewood and possibly the larger internal volume of the body, the 165 has a bit beefier bass than the L-00. While it is not quite as crisp and punchy as the L-00, it has more warmth and overtones. It's a better guitar for strumming (though the L-00 may be better for chunk, chunk four to the bar type rhythm chords). I don't actually strum that much but it sounds lovely fingerpicked. The 165 in Rosewood b/s, ebony fretboard combination sounds enormously different from the Maple b/s, Rosewood fretboard combination which I played in Bozeman! Both are really nice. I am a little tempted to snag the maple too... The L-00 still wins in the couch guitar division. The smaller lower bout and shallower body make it the most comfortable yet still lively and rich box I own. The 165 rw will probably end up being louder and possibly better for performing for others - the volume and bass is helpful and the guitar has a little flashier look to it with fancy bindings, fretboard inlays, shell rosette, gold tuners and such. Like the L-00 the 165 came with an under saddle pickup which sounds good through a little amp I have; truth is I never plug in but ya never know... I suspect I will be playing the 165 a lot since I now prefer smaller-bodied guitars. The difference between the woods and shapes make the rosewood 165 and Bubinga L-00 good contrasting flavored small guitars.

I think the first tune I played on it was Jerome Kern's Land Where the Good Songs Go, a version of which you can hear here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B00000418P001001/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_001

. Another thing I was looking at is the bracing in the 165 vs L-00. The L-00 has those tall, thin back braces. The 165 has the shorter and thicker braces like you see in a lot of Modern Classic guitars. I haven't compared the top bracing but I suspect they are somewhat different.

Congratulations on your new guitar. My Gibson CJ165 Rosewood is without a doubt my favorite acoustic guitar that I've ever had. It'll hopefully be with me till the end. I've played high end Martins, Taylors and even one Lowden and not one of them had the beautiful rich sound and overtones of the CJ. In fact I just bought another Gibson J45 to go with it and there's no way the J45 can even come close at this point in tone OR volume. I think in time as teh J45 begins to open up it should have some great tones coming from it as well. Enjoy the CJ. I think that's one of Gibsons best guitars right now.

P.S. You outta hear the CJ through a 200 watt LR Baggs Aref amp. WOWEEEEE!!

Rick

What kind of strings are you using, Rick? Mine came with I suppose the obligatory Masterbuilt Lights. I am thinking after the guitar settles down to the climate here I am going to put light-mediums on it and lower the action.

Congrats on the CJ !! I have one in Maple W/Burst and it is just a fabulous guitar. Beats everything I have ever played and I would have no regrets if it was my one and only guitar.

I am sure I have told this story a few times here.... But a couple weeks after I got mine, it was a rainy weekend, I started trying to learn a Lightin' Hopkins song that had his thumpin' monotonic bass. I sat and thumped hard on those bass notes for at least 8 hours that weekend. When I was done, I not only had learned the song, but realized the my CJ had opened up its sound significantly. Trebles just shimmered and lingered and mid range voice sprang alive while the bass sounded exceptional for a guitar of its size.

I have to also agree with Laura....I put the Martin SP 80/20 lights on my CJ-165 and haven't tried any others since. They just seem to be the perfect strings for it. Well, there could also be the upgraded bone saddle and bridge pins from Bob Colosi - guitarsaddles.com that help the sound....but that is another forum topic for discussion.

But yes ....Martin SP 80/20 strings are golden on this guit-box

I hope you love your CJ as much as I love mine!!

congrats again!

Picture024.jpg

I use Diadario PB 12's on my CJ. Great tone but they only last for about 20 hours playing time. I change strings once a week on my CJ because I find myself playing it constantly when I'm home. Wow what a great box! I have a new Gibson J185 Modern Classic on order right now to go with it. The 185 should be in within 60 days or so. Can't wait to A/B it with the CJ and the J is going to have to be one more fine guitar to stay up with it.

Archived