Gibson Brands Forums

Soldering Gun and Guitar building Book?

Hey guys, I havent modded any guitars yet, just so happend all the small guitar shops i used to bring my guitars to get mods or tune ups have all shut down, the only place open in guitar center and they dont even have a guitar teck, or one would even think about trusting, so I have come to the realizatoin that I am gonna have to figure this stuff out my self, can anyone recomend a good soldering fun, and a good book that can show me how to do most wiring setups on guitars, and also how to set them up properly (action exct.) thanks

Max

There's not much to look for in a soldering iron... you can get the pointy kind, or you can get a gun-shaped kind. You can also get different power ratings, but any one will do your basic wiring jobs. Mine is only 5W (or is it 5V... I don't know). I paid $5 for it at Wal Mart.

Home Depot sells good soldering iron - 25W, or 35W. ($19.95?)Has cheapie stand (ok), and

a point, small chisel, and large chisel tip. You'll want the CHISEL tip for soldering,

get 60/40, or is it 63/37 % solder. For electronics, lower melting point.

You can find ALL info regarding soldering on internet, just search topics like

"how to install pick-ups", etc. All info for set-up online, too. :Many articles on

how to set up guitar, action, intonation, pickup height, etc.

BLues LP is also right, Seymour Duncan has LOTZ of info. I believe that Sam Ash website

has tech section, too.

A BOOK? one by DAN ERLEWINE (google his name), can't remember title (Duuuhhhh....),

very popular, will get a copy myself. Might have a section on remembering stuff....

Harbor Freight has "mechanic's rule" that will fit in pocket of guitar case, costs $1.00

measures in 32nds and 64ths for setting action, pup height. I keep one in every git case.

Home Depot sells good soldering iron - 25W' date=' or 35W. ($19.95?)Has cheapie stand (ok), and

a point, small chisel, and large chisel tip. You'll want the CHISEL tip for soldering,

get 60/40, or is it 63/37 % solder. For electronics, lower melting point.

You can find ALL info regarding soldering on internet, just search topics like

"how to install pick-ups", etc. All info for set-up online, too. :Many articles on

how to set up guitar, action, intonation, pickup height, etc.

BLues LP is also right, Seymour Duncan has LOTZ of info. I believe that Sam Ash website

has tech section, too.

A BOOK? one by DAN ERLEWINE (google his name), can't remember title (Duuuhhhh....),

very popular, will get a copy myself. Might have a section on remembering stuff....

Harbor Freight has "mechanic's rule" that will fit in pocket of guitar case, costs $1.00

measures in 32nds and 64ths for setting action, pup height. I keep one in every git case.[/quote']

MAKE YOUR ELECTRIC GUITAR PLAY GREAT by Dan Erliwine is a great book.

One other is: A GUITAR PLAYER'S GUIDE TO REPAIRS by the same guy.

Both can be found at Stewmac. They also sell a full line of specialty tools.

Be careful when buying tools. Don't buy everything they recommend.

Get the 1st book I mentioned. Read it through. Most of the tools can be purchased cheaper at a local retailer.

I bought my soldering tool at Circuit City. I don't know what they are in the US.

Used to be Radio Shack. It has an adjustment knob on it. Anywhere from 5 to 60 Watts. Paid 16.00 for it.

MAKE YOUR ELECTRIC GUITAR PLAY GREAT by Dan Erliwine is a great book.

One other is: A GUITAR PLAYER'S GUIDE TO REPAIRS by the same guy.

Didn't he also write a book called:

"GUIDE TO STEALING SOMEONE ELSE'S GREAT-PLAYING GUITAR"? (heh, heh....)

Archived