Gibson Brands Forums

half hollow lp - day 6 stained!!! (leave comments and tips for assembly)

I was thinking this:

Ebay_guitars045.jpg

*DROOL* Please, PM me background info on that guitar, or post another thread on it... That thing is gorgeous, but I don't want to derail the thread over it, LOL!!!!

As for the original poster, looks like you have a great project going there... I have to ask though... It appears you have access to and skills with decent tools and materials... Why go to such pains to salvage a cheap plywood body, instead of just scratch building the body out of some solid mahogany stock? Surely with the amount of work you're putting into this thing, you'd be capable of routing a new neck pocket in a new body, and I'm sure solid wood would have better tonal response than the cheap chinese plywood they build those out of. as it is, you'll have to paint at least the edges, or be left with plywood stripes... what are you planning on doing with the edges, for that matter? Any thoughts of adding binding, or perhaps veneering the sides of the body?

*DROOL* Please' date=' PM me background info on that guitar, or post another thread on it... That thing is gorgeous, but I don't want to derail the thread over it, LOL!!!!

As for the original poster, looks like you have a great project going there... I have to ask though... It appears you have access to and skills with decent tools and materials... Why go to such pains to salvage a cheap plywood body, instead of just scratch building the body out of some solid mahogany stock? Surely with the amount of work you're putting into this thing, you'd be capable of routing a new neck pocket in a new body, and I'm sure solid wood would have better tonal response than the cheap chinese plywood they build those out of. as it is, you'll have to paint at least the edges, or be left with plywood stripes... what are you planning on doing with the edges, for that matter? Any thoughts of adding binding, or perhaps veneering the sides of the body?[/quote']

i go to a tec school thats where i am doing all of this (H.B Beal SS London Ontario Canada).. <yeah thats right i am only 18> this is my first ever build so i wanted to do a trial run, i am making a semihollow tele in the same sort of way this was my learning tool... because i already have all of the parts i dont have to do any meticulous measuring to get the neck and bridge and blah blah blah.. i want to get into that... but not on my first run. and as a bonus my crap old guitar looks cooler.

Hey, that's pretty ambitious, and well thought out. I'm impressed that you're taking on this kind of thing at 18!

On another note, can I ask what kind of camera you're using? Those pictures are brutal; you might be able to do better with what you have if you knew a little more about how photography works and what the capabilities of your camera are.

i go to a tec school thats where i am doing all of this (H.B Beal SS London Ontario Canada).. <yeah thats right i am only 18> this is my first ever build so i wanted to do a trial run' date=' i am making a semihollow tele in the same sort of way this was my learning tool... because i already have all of the parts i dont have to do any meticulous measuring to get the neck and bridge and blah blah blah.. i want to get into that... but not on my first run. and as a bonus my crap old guitar looks cooler.

[/quote']

Fair enough... looks like you're doing a great job so far! ](*,)

You've got my attention, and am anxiously awaiting the updates and finished product!

Then sell it on ebay as you apparently have the skills to produce more (heh, heh, heh...)

Regarding the fuzzy pix, I was asking myself - "Is he taking these WHILE HE'S RUNNING

HIS POWER EQPMT? ) Laugh...

Excellent work so far, and you may have inadvertantly opened a door that will allow

you to make a living(or additional $$$$) doing something you love and that others

will appreciate!

WOW!!! Brings new meaning to "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" - to a guitar at least...

A fantastic thread, excellent piccies ...really looking forward to seeing the end product ( He says munching his Popcorn & Coke to it....)

*DROOL* Please' date=' PM me background info on that guitar, or post another thread on it... That thing is gorgeous, but I don't want to derail the thread over it, LOL!!!!

[/quote']

2001(?) Gibson Les Paul Acoustic...unfortunately that's all I can tell you. =D>

On another note' date=' can I ask what kind of camera you're using? Those pictures are brutal; you might be able to do better with what you have if you knew a little more about how photography works and what the capabilities of your camera are.

[/quote']

This is a forum about guitars, not photography. The photos are good enough that we can clearly see his progress.

This is a forum about guitars' date=' not photography. The photos are good enough that we can clearly see his progress.[/quote']

haha im doing this with a celphone... so i dont know if the pics are good or not from my tiny screen hahah i just take a bunch and hope it works!

also i left my guitar at my school for march break :-({|=so i wont be able to put it together untill after.. but i will post it asap

AFTER ALL THIS BUILD-UP??? That's it - I vote for immediate banishment to the Gibson

forum!

Guest icantbuyafender

eeaaasy there animalfarm...

we dont want him pullin a B&E (breaking and entering) at his school just to appease us.

lets take this week long "hiatus" as an oppurtunity to plan our own projects

seriously... mad props on the progress. Im a wiring bug who will dabble in body work... but not like this.

hmm... this really does make my franken-paul jr (my main and favorite axe) seem like nothin yet she suits my taste.

[hmm, its what i threw together between colllege semesters 2yrs ago, for the price of sandpaper, soldering iron and being resourceful.]

My own march project is: drop my fave strat neck single coil in my flyin V with a GFS Loudmouth pup and a custom Pickguard.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived