Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone tell me if my Epi Les Paul is a fake?

imwl

its funny imwl my fake ace eppi sounds nice unplugged it allso looks great to but when you plug the non fake ace eppi in your ears tell you there is whole lot of difference..like some one said if it looks like its worth $380.00 and sounds ok to you then it really doesnt matter..:-k

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest icantbuyafender

this is why you do not buy sight unseen as a n00b.

bender is right about shipping....

unless this new zealander runs a racketeering operation at the Qplant in china or it "fell" off the truck....hmm???????

Yes Mr. Smith. I'm sorry. I won't do it again. Okay' date=' 20 times on the blackboard:

Buy from a reputable dealer.

[/quote']

I wasn't directing that toward any person in particular. Making fake Epiphones seems to be a major industry these days, and if Chinese factories can spit out counterfeit guitars by the hundreds each day, many of them are obviously going to show up on ebay. In fact I believe there is a disclaimer on ebay's site regarding counterfeit Epiphones.

Guest icantbuyafender

I wasn't directing that toward any person in particular. Making fake Epiphones seems to be a major industry these days' date=' and if Chinese factories can spit out counterfeit guitars by the hundreds each day, many of them are obviously going to show up on ebay. In fact I believe there is a disclaimer on ebay's site regarding counterfeit Epiphones.[/quote']

jeff you are a saint of a guy to even post on this thread let alone give any more info after his rather childish display of how immature a grown *** man can be. he came to the epiphone forum, got his answers, didn't like them and is now mocking??.

well, serves him right IMHO.

hey! just play the damn thing! practice is how you get better at playing riffs. not buying guitars

jeff you are a saint of a guy to even post on this thread let alone give any more info after his rather childish display of how immature a grown *** man can be. he came to the epiphone forum' date=' got his answers, didn't like them and is now mocking??.

[b']

hey! just play the damn thing! practice is how you get better at playing riffs. not buying guitars[/b]

Well, now that my avatar is "Simon the Likeable", I have a new image to uphold.

For those of you outside of the US, Simon the Likeable was a character on "Get Smart" in the '60's.

jeff you are a saint of a guy to even post on this thread let alone give any more info after his rather childish display of how immature a grown *** man can be. he came to the epiphone forum' date=' got his answers, didn't like them and is now mocking??.

well, serves him right IMHO. [/quote']

I thought it was pretty harmless... and not half like the immaturity you're displaying here.

[b']

hey! just play the damn thing! practice is how you get better at playing riffs. not buying guitars[/b]

Easy, dude. I'm just kidding, not putting anyone down.

Just asking about the authenticity of the guitar. Everyone has been very helpful. The point about buying from a reputable seller is well taken. And yes, I get it. And I have have done so in the past. But I can't go back in time now. Just trying to decide if I should return this. While at the same time inform others about Ebay scams where you never really know where the instrument is from/located until after you pay.

And yes, I've been practicing, but not at the office, work time is for forum posting! heh.

BTW, Slash is amazing!

I thought it was pretty harmless... and not half like the immaturity you're displaying here.

Thanks. Appreciate the support.

I wasn't directing that toward any person in particular. Making fake Epiphones seems to be a major industry these days' date=' and if Chinese factories can spit out counterfeit guitars by the hundreds each day, many of them are obviously going to show up on ebay. In fact I believe there is a disclaimer on ebay's site regarding counterfeit Epiphones.[/quote']

Really? I'm going to hunt for that disclaimer. See what it says. Thanks.

The thing that's the big concern here is the unknown factor as to how many of these are getting into the market,I don't think this is an isolated thing. It would be interesting to know what the bottom line cost of the "new $380.00 LP" was, I'm sure they are making a hefty profit and don't seem to be too concerned about getting caught because they show up on just about all of the popular auction sites.like everyone else has said buy from reputable dealers and do your homework,know what you are buying.

JS

Love the avatar I loved that show but it makes me feel old because I mention "Get Smart" here at work and get a bunch of blank stares.

mgm

Guest icantbuyafender

the guitar looks better than most 'paul copies. if it weren't for the break in the o or the knob thing I wouldn't have noticed.

looks like a solid built guitar. put some GFS classic II's in it to get slash tone. I'd keep it. epi or not.

sorry, I've just been an avid supporter and brand loyal guy. I apologise for the ineloquent reaction prior.=D>

The thing that's the big concern here is the unknown factor as to how many of these are getting into the market' date='I don't think this is an isolated thing. [b']It would be interesting to know what the bottom line cost of the "new $380.00 LP" was[/b], I'm sure they are making a hefty profit and don't seem to be too concerned about getting caught because they show up on just about all of the popular auction sites.like everyone else has said buy from reputable dealers and do your homework,know what you are buying.

JS

More clues. I just took a closer look at the shipping receipt. It cost him 995 RMB to ship this thing from China! That's about $145 USD (http://www.xe.com/ucc/). He only charged me $40 for shipping. So ($380 + $40) - $145 = $275. He must be getting this guitar real cheap to be making any kind of profit. Dare I guess a bottom line cost of $100 ???

This lead me to price out how much it would cost me to return this thing. Fedex says ... $169!!!

So if I return this thing, I'll be out $209 ($169 + $40) with no guitar, or I keep the guitar for $420 ($380 + $40). :-k <sigh>

Still no word from Epiphone/Gibson.

the guitar looks better than most 'paul copies. if it weren't for the break in the o or the knob thing I wouldn't have noticed.

looks like a solid built guitar. put some GFS classic II's in it to get slash tone. I'd keep it. epi or not.

sorry' date=' I've just been an avid supporter and brand loyal guy. I apologise for the ineloquent reaction prior.=D> [/quote']

No worries, I totally understand, I'm a brand loyal guy too. Hate buying fake stuff. I laugh when I see guys wear fake Panerais. I guess I just revealed my lack of guitar buying experience on this one.

Actually, the break in the o on mine does match the logo on most others. Seems like the Sweetwater one had it wrong. The knob thing does bug me. Oh well.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards keeping. As Stig pointed out, either way, it's a fake Gibson. heh

He must be getting this guitar real cheap to be making any kind of profit. Dare I guess a bottom line cost of $100 ???

Approx. 70 bucks(depending on model). At quantities of a 100 pieces. Probably cheaper if you're Chinese and/or well connected.

Don't "fret" about it. If you like the guitar, keep it. That's what really matters.

BTW, I neglected to answer this question:

And who's that chick in your photo?

I don't know. But that's an Epiphone guitar she's holding.

...right before she takes her clothes off...:-$](*,)

Epiphone/Gibson Customer Service finally replied:

Hi,

This is not a genuine Epiphone. If you'd like to provide the seller's information or a link to the online ad or auction, we'll be glad to forward this to our Legal department. For additional information please see http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/CounterfeitGibsons/.

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON

service@gibson.com

Case closed.

Once again, thank you all for all your input. I learned a lot.

I'm a beginner player and I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top off ebay. The posting said it was located in New Zealand' date=' but when it shipped it said it was from Beijing, China. Now, I'm concerned if it is real. Here are my pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/williewlee/EpiphoneLesPaulStandardPlusTopTransBlue?authkey=Gv1sRgCJylvtGTt9brwwE#

Thanks for your input.[/quote']

Honestly, it looks fake to me. The top of the headstock is abnormally long. The tuning machines were very sloppily put in. Your knobs arnt parrel. The screw in your pickguard looks small and too "in the middle" if that makes sense. And the curve of the body by your toggle switch looks off. Too flat by the top of it:not much of a circular curve. This is just my opinion. It could be just a poorly made Epiphone. Like the others will tell you, as long is it sounds good to your ears and feels good in your hands; thats what its about. Peace

I've never been able to get a short scale (short-short scale) one. So I ended up getting a light blue American Jaguar, and am very happy with it. I know people shun short-scale guitars, but in the electric world, I'm not sure that the difference in sound is detectable. I had heard that the really twangy electric guitar in the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was a short scale Mustang, but that may be an urban legend.

Update regarding my fake Epi:

I made an offer to the seller. If he gave me a $120 refund, I would keep the guitar. He took it right away (he never replies that fast).

I almost forgot to mention that I also got a 8% Live.com Ebay cashback ($30). That puts the bottom line cost of my Epiphony at $270. Not bad I guess. Given that it would have cost me $450 to ship it back. That puts it in the "Epiphone Les Paul 100" price range.

I'm pretty happy now. Feels good to know the truth and save money.

I'll also be sending Gibson all the info I have on the seller and his supplier. Doing my share in fighting the evils that be.

Thank you all for reading. Hope we all learned something.

Okay, enough buying and investigating, it's time to jam!

Archived