Gibson Brands Forums

Better Tone

Hi all. What are your opinions on how to make my rig sound better. I realize "better" is subjective, so I'll try and explain. I want a clearer, cleaner sound. My sound is a bit muddy.

My Rig:

Epi Dot Deluxe

Epi Valve Standard

All equipment is OEM. Which of these will have more effect on tone?

A. Pickups (I like the P90 sound)

B. Bridge (aluminum)

C. Tubes

D. Speaker

E. Wiring

F. Other

Thanks for your consideration.

Have you exhausted all the possibilites, within your current rig? By that, I mean all the tone control (guitar and amp)

combinations, etc. IF SO...maybe that amp and/or guitar is not what you want??? A pickup change might be in order,

if you like P-90 tone, try Gibson P-94's (direct replacement for Humbuckers), or one of the other maker's version, of

that. I like Celestion Vintage 30 speakers, but there are a lot to choose from. However, they won't really change your

tone, as much as tighten up (or, in some cases) loosen up, the focus. If you want really "Clean" try a Roland Jazz Chorus,

or one of the "Cube" series amps. Cube 60 has plenty of headroom for "live" gigs. And decent tone, too. Fender Deluxe

Reverb (22 tube watts) and/or Twin Reverb (85 tube watts) are both excellent amps, as well. What you may need, and

I'm only speculating here, is more "headroom" or clean tone, before things start to distort or muddy up. Any of the amps

mentioned, will do that. The only thing you can do, is go out and test things...see what will strike your fancy, within your

budget.

CB

I'll agree with Reeko..... Upgrading the speakers on your amp makes a huge difference.... On my VOX AC50 I changed out the stock VOX 12" speakers and installed celestion G12H 30 watters, and it's clean as a bell, and it crunches like bag of fresh Doritos...

Then pups..... I've found a better pup than the Gibson p-90's, and it's CC pups..... I'm in love with the sound:d/

Thanks. CB, by "clean" I mean clear or sharp. Sorry to use the term clean and muddy. I want clear in the clean mode and crunchy in the distorted mode. I'll check out the Gibson P90s. Thanks. Oh, and yes. I've exausted the possible variables. I've had this setup a couple years now. Celestions might be in order too. Thanks duane.

I'll agree with Reeko..... Upgrading the speakers on your amp makes a huge difference.... On my VOX AC50 I changed out the stock VOX 12" speakers and installed celestion G12H 30 watters' date=' and it's clean as a bell, and it crunches like bag of fresh Doritos...

Then pups..... I've found a better pup than the Gibson p-90's, and it's CC pups..... I'm in love with the sound:d/ [/quote']

Duane, what are CC pickups?

Thanks. CB' date=' by "clean" I mean clear or sharp. Sorry to use the term clean and muddy. I want [i']clear[/i] in the clean mode and crunchy in the distorted mode. I'll check out the Gibson P90s. Thanks. Oh, and yes. I've exausted the possible variables. I've had this setup a couple years now. Celestions might be in order too. Thanks duane.

You're welcome. "Clear and Sharp" tone...Roland Jazz Chorus 120! Amazingly clean amp, and very loud, too.

Fenders have a great clean tone, with just a bit of "grit"(in a good way), too. The Deluxe Reverb and Twin

Reverb, especially. Super Reverbs and/or Tweed Bassman, are excellent, as well. But if REALLY "Clean" is

what you seek, the Roland may be your "baby?!" You'll have to use "pedals" for any distortion, though.

You know...another amp you might try is a VOX AC-30...very "chimming" clean, and an nice distortion, too.

The VOX "Valvetronix" (tube pre-amp, solid state power amp) series have a good reputation, as well.

CB

You're welcome. "Clear and Sharp" tone...Roland Jazz Chorus 120! Amazingly clean amp' date=' and very loud, too.

Fenders have a great clean tone, with just a bit of "grit"(in a good way), too. The Deluxe Reverb and Twin

Reverb, especially. Super Reverbs and/or Tweed Bassman, are excellent, as well. But if REALLY "Clean" is

what you seek, the Roland may be your "baby?!" You'll have to use "pedals" for any distortion, though.

You know...another amp you might try is a VOX AC-30...very "chimming" clean, and an nice distortion, too.

The VOX "Valvetronix" (tube pre-amp, solid state power amp) series have a good reputation, as well.

CB [/quote']

About 15 years ago (yikes! was it that long ago?) I had a Fender Twin circca 1972. Love'd that one. i'm trying to get the best out of my Epi Valve Standard. I realize they are two different beasts. The VS gets miked. The Twin can stand on the stage all by it's self. I've always liked the Vox sound. I just want to push the Epi equipment to the maximum.

@ K.E.B.

Ever known an auto mechanic who "fixes" cars by putting on new parts until they finally guess right and replace the faulty component? A lot of perfectly good parts are trashed in the process, but the car does run again.

Going after tone in this blind fashion is no different. If you have the cash or that's your hobby, go for it.

But you can choose a more scientific method and have better, less costly results.

To that end, my suggestions:

1. borrow another DOT-style guitar (or try-out from a guitar store even) with the pups you think you need -- test

2. do you have any pedals? EQ or pedal with some freq. range knob will do -- test

3. haul your DOT/VS down to the shop and plug it into any # of external cabs -- wail away test

By the time you have finished, you're going to have a pretty solid idea of the "part" of your signal chain that needs changed. If you were wise, then you took notes all during your tests and so now you also have good ideas on the types of parts you want.

BTW -- if you simply must start swapping parts blindly, then you're money ahead if start with valves in that VS -- valves may be the greatest single tone changer in amplified music. (Pups being the largest parts dead-end money pit -- speakers are big, but the good ones cost $$.)

Final note: When it comes to tone, everything is everything. Figure out what that means and you'll be well on your way to tone nirvana. WELCOME to the forum and GOOD LUCK!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby... I'm going to play on:-"

@ K.E.B.

Ever known an auto mechanic who "fixes" cars by putting on new parts until they finally guess right and replace the faulty component? A lot of perfectly good parts are trashed in the process' date=' but the car does run again.

Going after tone in this blind fashion is no different. If you have the cash or that's your hobby, go for it.

But you can choose a more scientific method and have better, less costly results.

To that end, my suggestions:

1. borrow another DOT-style guitar (or try-out from a guitar store even) with the pups you think you need -- test

2. do you have any pedals? EQ or pedal with some freq. range knob will do -- test

3. haul your DOT/VS down to the shop and plug it into any # of external cabs -- wail away test

By the time you have finished, you're going to have a pretty solid idea of the "part" of your signal chain that needs changed. If you were wise, then you took notes all during your tests and so now you also have good ideas on the types of parts you want.

BTW -- if you simply must start swapping parts blindly, then you're money ahead if start with valves in that VS -- valves may be the greatest single tone changer in amplified music. (Pups being the largest parts dead-end money pit -- speakers are big, but the good ones cost $$.)

Final note: When it comes to tone, everything is everything. Figure out what that means and you'll be well on your way to tone nirvana. WELCOME to the forum and GOOD LUCK!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby... I'm going to play on:-"

I hear ya Steven. I've been away from the game for a while. I haven't played my guitars in months. I started playing 28 years ago. You know how stuff changes. You give good advice to someone who needs all that. My goal is to build a solid Epi system (guitar and amp) and accentuate from there. I could throw a bunch of money at Gibson stuff, or other stuff. That's not my goal. I want to maximize what I have. Parts are cheap. This guitar I have is a gem. It sounds lovely acoustic. It rings. I'm just missing some component. Speakers? Pups? BTW, love your sig.

@K.E.B.

tone... that's what i am heading for as well... i play a dot as well that i've got some weeks ago. when i tested it unplugged i could hear the "tone" but when plying it as it was it didn't come through. so i started to modify:

- installed an alu stop tail

- replaced the bridge with roller bridge

- and last week end i replaced the plastic nut with a bone nut

==> AND this last modification was the thing: when you work on a stock instrument, when you do mods you always have the impression that the guitar becomes your own individual instrument, a kind of marriage, and you have the impression that the tone changes, becomes better.... but this might be just a subjective impression.... BUT the bone nut was more than just an impression: it was a real modification that lead to better tone.

the next thing i will try may be next week end are the pups. my daughter just brought me a set of GFS vintage humbuckers from the states.... if these are not as good as often told i will go for burstbuckers.... but this is the future.

i hoper this helps (and i hope that my english isn't too bad)

jo

Ever known an auto mechanic who "fixes" cars by putting on new parts until they finally guess right and replace the faulty component? A lot of perfectly good parts are trashed in the process' date=' but the car does run again.

[/quote']

You mean like the guy who put two starter motors in my jeep, until I took it elsewhere and the new mechanic worked out that the cog was stripped in the transmission?

violent-smiley-1363.gif

Sorry. Private rant...

Guest icantbuyafender

tube swap!

try out 6v6's and/or EL-34

i hear groove tubes are great

im not big on knowledge of the tube game. im a tube n00b. i just rock out on my Vjr and blackheart....

dunno what they have but they emit warmth and light up when you look inside from the back plate.

looks pretty..... like a light bulb!

The problem (IF it is one) for me, has always been I like a lot of different "tones!" A lot of which is dictated

by the song(s), or style I'm doing, at the time. That, also varies! Everything from "Blues-Blues Rock, to

"Jangle Pop," or "Folk Rock" (Byrds, etc.), to Rock-a-Billy and (some) Country, as well as just good old "Rock & Roll!"

It's one reason (besides the fact that I LOVE guitars) that I have so many different kinds, and sounding, guitars.

Could I do with less...absolutely! But, since I already have them, why not use them, to their best advantage.

I guess what I'm taking the long road to saying is, I don't think the quest for THE "perfect" tone, is realistic,

but trying to attain the best tone you can, with what you have, and want to do, is a good and constant quest.

Plus, dare I say it, we all can get a bit "bored," at times, with "our" tone, and think there has to be something

better! Maybe, maybe not...when that happens to me, I switch styles, and/or genres for awhile. Then, when I

come back to it, it usually sounds fine (or, as "fine" as I am able to make it, given my own "limitations").

CB

Many good replies here. Thanks for keeping my fire lit. I'm considering Phat Cats and swapping tubes from the stock ones. Actually, I tried an experiment from an idea in these forums. I let my amp sit powered on (guitar volume off) for a few days. I hit a few strings before I left for work today and WOW! The sound is very nice. Gone is the muffled sound. I can't wait to get home tonight and play. Still, I think Phat Cats or some other P90 humbucker style pickup will give me the edge I want. And...It's always good to have a backup set of tubes anyhow. When I was shopping around a couple years ago I remember coming across Weber Speakers. They're made close to where I am so I can pick them up. Anyone heard of Weber Speakers in San Francisco, CA?

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. This forum rocks!

Guest icantbuyafender

you have to have the tubes on for a while for them to get into their prime?

well thats lame... i think?

my Vjr and blackhearts do not have standby switches, so the volume knob is the only remedy.

can you leave them on too long? :-/

im real confused... does that mean the tone i get from my amp would be different from the moment i flick on the switch to a few hours later?

?????

Yes! It will...best tone of the amp is when the tubes have been warmed for awhile. Those that don't have

stand-by switches, usually just turn the amp on, right after set up, turn down the volume on the guitar, or

if you have a pedal tuner that switches off the lead to the amp, when you tune, you can use that, for a "stand

by" switch. That's what I do, when using my "Blues Junior!" By the time it's "Showtime," the amp wails!!

CB

Hi all. What are your opinions on how to make my rig sound better. I realize "better" is subjective' date=' so I'll try and explain. I want a clearer, cleaner sound. My sound is a bit muddy.

[u']My Rig:[/u]

Epi Dot Deluxe

Epi Valve Standard

All equipment is OEM. Which of these will have more effect on tone?

A. Pickups (I like the P90 sound)

B. Bridge (aluminum)

C. Tubes

D. Speaker

E. Wiring

F. Other

Thanks for your consideration.

Try a different brand of strings, and toy with the amp settings.

I thought the OEM strings on my Epi's to be shrill.

Went through a couple brands before I stopped at Gibson Bright.

IMHO, your mileage may vary, and all those disclaimers O:)

Archived