Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD - Les Paul Custom

Swoop

Not strictly a new guitar, it is used. But it's new to me. Made at the Korean Samick factory in 1995, it's a Les Paul Custom. As you can imagine, being that age, it's not exactly perfect, there are a few tiny blemishes here and there, and all the gold hardware is pretty faded and pitted. I'm not normally a fan of black guitars, too damned hard to keep clean. But I do love the custom with the cream/white binding, it's a great contrast in my opinion.

Some pics.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

You can probably see how pitted the tuners are in the headstock photo. I'm not normally a huge fan of gold hardware, though it does look pretty good on LP Customs. I thought I might change it all to silver, and change the pickup rings to cream ones to match the binding and further contrast the black. I'll probably drop in some new pickups when I have the money too. I'd like to stick with humbuckers on this one, but get some real hot, but vintage sounding ones, probably from GFS. Something like the Dream 180s. I thought maybe I could coil tap it as well, so I can have either single coil or full humbucking. How does one go about that? Push/pull pots? How easy is that to do? Could I do it myself? I'm pretty good with the soldering iron!

Thanks guys!

twiggy, I checked out some pictures of other Epiphones of the same year, and they all have the logo straight. I guess that more recently they have made the logo angled. You might notice that my Custom has slightly different tuners to later ones too, and also has a Gibson TRC, whereas later ones now say 'Les Paul Custom'.

Edit: I've now seen pictures of a '94 with the logo straight across, and the same keystone style tuners that mine has. I guess it's a 90s thing. I like it.

. I thought maybe I could coil tap it as well' date=' so I can have either single coil or full humbucking. How does one go about that? Push/pull pots? How easy is that to do? Could I do it myself? I'm pretty good with the soldering iron!

[/quote']

Congrats on the new axe. There are a lot of references on the 'net that will guide you through the process, once you know exactly what it is you want to do.

Got this from the Seymore Duncan FAQ

What is a coil tap?

A coil tap refers to a lead connected to an individual coil’s winding and is used to raise and lower a pickup’s output and change its tone. This is most often utilized on single coil pickups where the player wants a higher output pickup but also wants to be able to switch to a lower output and more vintage-type tone using the same pickup. Many of our pickups for Strat® and Tele® are available in tapped versions for an additional $1 - $11, depending on the model. In addition,you can special order a "Shop Floor Custom" tapped version of any other pickup for an upcharge of $12.

What is coil splitting?

Coil splitting refers to the ability to disable one coil in a humbucker-type pickup. This offers the player option of getting a single coil-type tone from a humbucker-loaded guitar. Many pickups have three- or four-conductor wiring that allows for one coil to be disabled by shorting one coil to either ground or hot. All production Seymour Duncan humbuckers can be purchased with four-conductor wiring either stock from the factory or as a Production Floor Custom order. The exceptions to this rule are the Vintage Rails (SVR-1) and Duckbuckers (SDBR-1), which are wired internally in parallel from the factory.

I see, I did not realise there was a difference in coil tapping and coil splitting. I just figured it was a different terminology for the same thing. Coil splitting is what I want to do, being able to use the pickups as single coils but also switch to full humbucking 'mode'.

I see' date=' I did not realise there was a difference in coil tapping and coil splitting. I just figured it was a different terminology for the same thing. Coil splitting is what I want to do, being able to use the pickups as single coils but also switch to full humbucking 'mode'. [/quote']

That's what I thought you wanted to do. Check this site out for some diagrams and good luck, it's not all together all that difficult.

http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm

Archived