Gibson Brands Forums

johnny winter and a wilshire - 1970

eor

Guest icantbuyafender

which wilshire version is that?

cant be circa '08 reissues... no big block custom inlays...

anyone know ?

well that was certainly humbling.

fingers strings tube speaker anyone?

sheesh.

every time I hear him play.. I'm just totally inspired to reflect and work harder..

one note played like that can keep me going for a month.

TWANG

which wilshire version is that?

cant be circa '08 reissues... no big block custom inlays...

anyone know ?

Early Wilshires had 3 + 3 headstock' date=' the batwing headstock on the Wilshire was introduced in 1963. They were discontinued in 1970, so somewhere between 1963 - 1970. Here's a photo of a 1964 Wilshire:

[center']64wilshi.jpg[/center]

That video has really made the rounds but I never get tired of watching it. I used to go see Winter down at Steve Paul's club in NYC. The jams after the club closed were unbelievable. When I first saw Winter I was floored by the fact that he plays with a thumbpick and his fingers. I recall reading an interview Winter in which he said he wished he had learned to play with a flatpick as he thought playing with his fingers limited him. Good Gawd Almighty.

That video has really made the rounds but I never get tired of watching it. I used to go see Winter down at Steve Paul's club in NYC. The jams after the club closed were unbelievable...

I saw JW at the Lone Star Cafe in NYC' date=' it was either July 3 or the fourth in the mid '70s. Pretty sure it was the bicentennial year 1976. My friend and I got there hours early, and it was SRO. We stood in the center of the room, unable to move for hours. The waitresses had to worm their way through the crowd, and you would order two or three beers at a time 'cos you didn't know when you would see her again. And forget about discarding your beer, thank God I was young and could hold it. We left around 12:30 / 1:00 AM, we lived on Staten Island and had to catch the Ferry home, Johnny was still going strong. We later heard the police had to shut him down around 4:00 AM!!!

He had a young skinny kid playing bass for him, and the kid did a Rock-a-billy set (JW played bass while the kid played guitar). A couple of years later, Robert Gordon had a minor hit with Springsteen's [i']Fire[/i] and I thought that he could have been the bass player. I kinda remember Rock-a-billy Boogie from the set, and Gordon did do a version of it. But I never could confirm if it was Robert Gordon that night at the Lone Star Cafe. But it was a great night of unbelievable guitar playing.

I also remember seeing Johnny at Steve Paul`s place. Along with a certain left handed guitarist.

I have seen Johnny numerous times. I believe he played the Wilshire coz it had mini humbuckers and gave him roughly the same sound he got from his Firebird. Both guitars light as a feather. I also saw him get his sound on a Steinberger. So a great guitar player can get his sound out of anything he plays.

Archived