Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Les Paul Custom?

knall

Hi!

I was hoping that you could help med out with this one. I bought this guitar for about 450$ some months ago, and now I'm afraid that it could be fake. When I bought it, it was without the pickup guard.

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=292699

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=292700

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=292701

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=292702

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=292703

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=292704

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=292705

Thanks!

The first few photos are too poor to be able to really see anything. Can you re-size those down to around 1000 pix or less?

Not sure about the older models, but that Epi sticker on the access plate is supposed to be on the back of the headstock.

From what I can tell it looks fine. Who would want to build fake Epiphones anyway? Fake Gibsons I can understand.

The sticker was probably from the headstock, it's placed over another sticker on the electrics cover. Since I bought it second hand, the previous owner must've moved the sticker down there for aesthetics maybe.

If you right click the pictures, they'll probably auto resize. As far as I know, these guitars are popular to fake. Many les paul customs on Craigs list and Ebay are fake.

I'm asking mostly because some of the differences from newer les pauls. The knobs are a little different, the truss rod cover also. The pickup guard is missing, and pickup guards is the easiest way to distinguish real from fake if I'm correct. The pickups have been changed, as there are some extra screw holes underneath the pickups. Though I think the previous owner have put the stock pickups back, they are engraved with the epiphone logo. I don't know what's original and not on it.

If I remember correctly, if the pickup rings are changed, the pick guard must also be changed because the rings are not the same size as the Epiphone rings and the Epiphone pick guard won't fit. That could explain the different locations of the screw holes.

Not sure though.

Could you remove the cover from the control cavity and post a picture of the controls? Preferably an in-focus shot? :-&

Overall it looks legit; the truss rod cover, tuners, and serial number all jibe. The tuners changed to Grovers on Epis in 2002, so that's in line with the 2003 Serial, and the Gibson TRCs didn't disappear until 2004. The knobs are different but most likely the previous owner changed them.

Hmm, looks like my cell phone camera is the only camera available just now, so the picture is actually worse than the others. Well well, here goes:

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=301116

I'll clean my guitar later :-&

Thanks for all the help!

Archived