Gibson Brands Forums

Effects or no Effects?

Depends on the situation, or even the song. I prefer to play just the guitar and an overdriven Tube amp,

that cleans up, with a turn of the volume knob, on my guitar. However, if you play a variety of genre's

and "cover" songs, too...pedals are invaluable, at times. So, I use what I need, when I need it, and only that.

I don't "rely" on them, for my basic tone, but just to color it, as needed for what we're doing.

Mostly, a Blues Driver, Compression/Sustainer (for my Ric-12 string), Rotary Speaker, Wah-Wah...and,

sometimes a "clean boost," Chorus, and/or Phase. But, those last three, are rare.

CB

Like Charlie says, depends on whom I'm playing with and the requirments. Haven't found the one amp that does it all...LOL, not yet anyways. I prefer balckface tube amps with no breakup, so I use pedals for dirt.

Anyhow, the pedals I use the most are EQ, Wha, OD, Delay and Reverb if the amp has none...like my Princeton.

However, and FWIW, but when at home I don't use any of my live rigs. So I just plug straight into a small Marshall SS practice amp.

I don't do either all the time.

Very often I play straight into the amp. I modded it for my Blondy so to me that's the bee knees if I had to choose.

But I use some reverb and delay and chorus fairly often. I almost always start at .01, IOW very very light and stop as soon as I can hear it.

I can't play Dark Side Of The Moon without more stuff!

So didn't vote, but if I did, I think I'd choose one effect, because even when I run two or more it's usually way less than most.

tWANG

My only "effects" currently are a homemade Klon, crunchbox, and fat booster, all housed in a single box. I run my amps hot enough to provide my overdriven tone, and only use the 3 pedal circuits for soloing.

One of these days, I'll finish building my pedal board back up, and I'll have my wah, chorus, phase, and delay, but I really don't "need" them. The only ones I "need" are the three that I'm currently using.

It depends on the amp I'm using. With the Roland Cube 60 or Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, I use a tube screamer for a little more crunch when needed, along with a Fender pedal tuner. With my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, I only need the effects in the amp, controlled by the Sampera II foot controller.

Most of the time I can get by with a little reverb, some delay here and there, and a little compression or overdrive when needed. I switch chorus in and out as needed. The thing that I like with the Vypyr is that I can program 12 foot switchable presets, 4 in each of 3 banks, and combine what I need in each.

It depends on the song. Most of the time it's just a straight guitar-->amp signal. When I do use effects it's usually a delay or a wah. I have a Boss metal zone that I use occasionally for the headbangin' tune.

Archived