Gibson Brands Forums

China or Korean made,

Hy, ive seen some posts about quallity differance in Epi's from Korea or from Chinese factories.

Can someone explain a bitt to me? My english aint quitte qood so i'm not familiar with typical sayings in english so please keep it simpel ^^

Is it true that the Chinese built Epi's are much better than the Korean made ones or dit i really misunderstood?

Greetings

I used to think that the Korean made models were superior to the Chinese made models, but that was before I learned how to do setups on Les Paul style guitars. Ever since I got my Chinese made Epiphone G-400 a couple of weeks ago, after doing a setup on it, I'm pleased as punch with it.

I have an Indonesian '97 SG JR.

Korean '97 LE LP Standard Plus

Chinese '06 G400 and '07 Dot.

Out of those Epis, the two from China are built the best. And not because they are newer. Everything about them is better, including the pickups.

They are all nice guitars, and I enjoy playing all of them. But I love the Dot and the G400 more.

I've never agreed with those that think Korea is superior to China.

I agree with axe, it's not the country, it's the guitar itself you want to look at.

All of those locations make good guitars, you just have to find them :)

In all seriousness, it's consistency that is the issue for many of the Chinese/Korean made ones. I've heard that the EB-3 bass had a ton of quality issues, but then I look at mine and see none of those issues! So the best thing to do is to see for yourself the guitar you want to buy and get the store to set it up if it hasn't been done already (haha... very unique advice eh?).

Good luck with your guitar shopping! I hope you find a winner!

hey thats my profile lol

Dude. I hate to dig into you or anything, but everytime I read one of your posts, it's nonsensical gibberish. GRAMMAR IS YOUR FRIEND! Learn to capitalize! Spelling is GOOD! Use punctuation! It dosen't have to be perfect, just enough so we can understand you.

Dude. I hate to dig into you or anything' date=' but everytime I read one of your posts, it's nonsensical gibberish. GRAMMAR IS YOUR FRIEND! Learn to capitalize! Spelling is GOOD! Use punctuation! It dosen't have to be perfect, just enough so we can understand you.

[/quote']

I think I understand what he's saying. If you click on the YouTube link in KevinKyle's sig, it takes you to YOUR own profile so long as you have a YouTube account and are logged in to it.

As not to go entirely OT here, all of my Epis are Korean. I love them. I dont have any experience with Chinese guitars other than my Squire Strat, buuuuut, I have noticed that the G-310s are now made of alder (or so they claim) as to where my Korean G-310 is laminate. Aside from the jankwood and tinny tone, the neck is very comfortable and highly playable. I got past the lack of tone by putting a couple Dimarzios in it. It sounds pretty good for an armchair guitarist.

Well, I've said this before...Epiphone, is an American Company, using Asian labor. With it's (now) dedicated factory (or factories), as the case may be, the parent company will dictate the standards of quality, and the workers will adhere to them, or they'll be let go....just like here! So "where" an Epiphone guitar is made, is of little consequence, from a quality stand point, do to the workers, anyway. There are great workers, in all countries! They will produce, as good a product, with as good of materials, as Epiphone/Gibson will require/allow. And, I think we have seen a decent and steady increase in that quality. People, being people, will mention all the bad ones, but you don't hear about ALL the great ones, as often. And, of course, there's always that "Not as good as a Gibson" thing...that some love to tout. But, all in all, I think Epi's are Great Guitars, really. And, especially so, for the price!

CB

I'm yet to play an Indonesian guitar I didn't like. My Gretsch Americana is ironically Indonesian and the Performer SE/ME that I'm trying to scratch up money to afford is also from there and sounds great. A friend of mine has a Hello Kitty Strat from Indonesia and that thing kicks *** too.

Guest icantbuyafender

I've got korean LPs, and a china GoldTop.

its hard to say which is better since the were acquired in 2002 and 2009. honestly, I think the goldtop feels more solid and durable, but has a few little scuffs or hairline marks, not to mention it also had superior components and updated features like grovers and locktone bridge/tailpiece.

the only nag about the koreans I have is that I shouldve got them sooner and bought cases for them. this is apparant when you see all the little dings that just pop up over time.

oh and my indonesian '03 G400 absolutely kills.

the only chinaphone I have that got me angry was the white wilshire. First runs had neck binding, none were ever tagged with a "inspected by" sticker, and all of them have dimples in the finish and sloppy headstock details. but, after I got over the cosmetics and redid the stock spaghetti wiring and put in gibby pups I really couldn't be happier. UNLESS they would have kept putting binding on the necks, so mine doesn't feel 2nd rate next to my friend's wilshire that does have binding....

lastly, my dot studio is chinese, and friggin flawless. the standard by which ALL epi's should be measured by. for $200 new, she was a FLAT OUT ROBBERY.

and I'm just rambling now....

Archived