Gibson Brands Forums

Epi G-1275: Plywood?

mr. moon

Holy they botched this one!

Is the cherry one better? Did you play it? I found out about the plywood thing a day after I bought mine (because I look under the hood right after buying my guitars). But you know what, it plays great. The body does vibrate when you play it. The necks are fabulous... I learned that sometimes you have to let go of the specs and go with the feeling of the instrument.

But I do think that the plywood is used to get a more solid guitar. Else Epiphone would need big pieces of solid wood to build this body. And when you think about it the wood used in the good sounding amplifier cabinets is plywood. Because it does resonnate well. Contrary to MDF.

I'm not defending Epiphone for not mentionning this important detail in their specs but when I tried the guitar in the store it played great and sounded good. That's why I kept it. And it was in much better shape than your white one...

But I also leaned that you must be confortable with your guitar purchases so I wish you good luck in finding THE ONE your looking for.

Cheers!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holy they botched this one!

Is the cherry one better? Did you play it? I found out about the plywood thing a day after I bought mine (because I look under the hood right after buying my guitars). But you know what' date=' it plays great. The body does vibrate when you play it. The necks are fabulous... I learned that sometimes you have to let go of the specs and go with the feeling of the instrument.

But I do think that the plywood is used to get a more solid guitar. Else Epiphone would need big pieces of solid wood to build this body. And when you think about it the wood used in the good sounding amplifier cabinets is plywood. Because it does resonnate well. Contrary to MDF.

I'm not defending Epiphone for not mentionning this important detail in their specs but when I tried the guitar in the store it played great and sounded good. That's why I kept it. And it was in much better shape than your white one...

But I also leaned that you must be confortable with your guitar purchases so I wish you good luck in finding THE ONE your looking for.

Cheers![/quote']

The Cherry one was nice looking, but for as much as it cost, it should not have been plywood. Had the product description said Mahogany laminate or mahogany plywood, I would never have purchased one at all. I did play it, and compared to my other guitars, it really didn't match the sound or feel, so there really was no hesitation in getting rid of it. I would just love to get one for the 12-string electric, and to add another dimension to the live shows. Probably would have kept it if it would have cost 300 bucks, but not for the price they're asking for them...

Rock on!

• 3 months later...

UPDATE!!!

Hey folks, I forgot to post my update earlier, but I ended up getting the real deal! A new Gibson EDS-1275 in Alpine White, and it really is a definite improvement over the EPI in tone, feel, finish, EVERYTHING!

..Also, because of the bad taste this whole mess left in my mouth, I decided to sell my 200 dolla EPI LP Special bass to help fund the EDS-1275, and it was well worth it!

dsc0016trim1sm.jpg

Beautiful.

Thanks! And man! Does it sound awesome!!!

I been wanting one of these:

Agile Valkyrie 6/12

valkdoublewhtwc1a.jpg

They come with a case and are made of REAL WOOD!!!

Yes, those Agiles look nice, but I purchased a 12-string 3100 series a couple of years ago and it was WAY heavy and had a cracked inlay which was flaking out, so I returned it. I never really got a chance to hear how it sounded because once I saw the inlay and nearly broke my back picking it up, I decided to send it right back. It would be interesting to hear one of those Agiles though.... I wonder how te PUs are?

The weight wouldn't be an issue for me. (I've got a 16lb. monster in the form of my Traben Phoenix bass, and I love that thing.) Interesting though, I've never heard anything bad about Agiles before. As I recall another forum member had one damaged in shipping, but it's replacement was great. I guess there's always at least one rotten egg.

********** THIS IS A MUST READ ***********

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=115 Dated June 2004

Looking at the post above, I think you should take them back and demand a new one. I imagine this is going to cost Epiphone ( big time ) not only in a bad reputation but also from a recall - If they don't - there done...in my opinion.

The picture shows what a solid body should look like and what they say they make.

I feel bad for you guys.

Here is a quote from the article : Read carefully ! From the look of your pics guys it looks like a "similar material" agree?

"Epiphone does NOT use nor have we EVER used particle board or any other similar materials in our guitars. With 131 years of quality and integrity on the line, there is NO WAY we would put that at risk by using inferior materials."

Take your guitar to him and ask him if he is sure about that !

Hey Jim Rosenberg - If you send me a "real nice guitar" we can forget this even happened, what do ya say ?

********** THIS IS A MUST READ ***********

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=115 Dated June 2004

Looking at the post above' date=' I think you should take them back and demand a new one. I imagine this is going to cost Epiphone ( big time ) not only in a bad reputation but also from a recall - If they don't - there done...in my opinion.

The picture shows what a solid body should look like and what they say they make.

I feel bad for you guys.

Here is a quote from the article : Read carefully ! From the look of your pics guys it looks like a "similar material" agree?

"Epiphone does NOT use nor have we EVER used particle board or any other similar materials in our guitars. With 131 years of quality and integrity on the line, there is NO WAY we would put that at risk by using inferior materials."

Take your guitar to him and ask him if he is sure about that !

Hey Jim Rosenberg - If you send me a "real nice guitar" we can forget this even happened, what do ya say ?

[/quote']

Well, first off, that's a 5 1/2 year old article. They could say that "things have canged." They've moved production to China since. And the article specifies the LPC. And it NOT particle board, but ply-wood. (Plywood being thin sheets laminated together, Particle board being wood chips and glue.)Plywood isn't AS crappy as particle board (I bet that sounded stupid before the edit, huh??),but still... for what these things cost...and I have seen one I believe was solid, but that's the only one. Nice try, but unlikely to get anywhere with it. We could always ask Epi1 WTF is up with this plywood crap?!?!

On another note, everybody else, check out that LPC cross-section. I told ya'll they had maple caps. Suck it, non-believers!!

Interesting about the plywood construction..but here's a question for you double neck players out there.

How much does the Gibson solid mahogany version of this one weigh?.. versus..

this one made of plywood, and I presume lighter plywood to reduce the weight.

I read somewheres that these double necks can run between 22-25lbs..that's a lot of weight hanging off your

shoulders for an evening standing up.

(I don't think you can play these sitting down..can you?)

Plywood isn't AS crappy as plywood' date=' but still... for what these things cost...and I have seen one I believe was solid, but that's the only one. Nice try, but unlikely to get anywhere with it. We could always ask Epi1 WTF is up with this plywood crap?!?! [/quote']

The Gibson ES-335 series is made of thin layers of plywood, steam formed under pressure to provide the archtop/back,

so is the Gibson ES-175..so what is the problem here guys?

Is it because it's a solid body and you want your money's worth..or for the sustain?

Interesting about the plywood construction..but here's a question for you double neck players out there.

How much does the Gibson solid mahogany version of this one weigh?.. versus..

this one made of plywood' date=' and I presume lighter plywood to reduce the weight.

I read somewheres that these double necks can run between 22-25lbs..that's a lot of weight hanging off your

shoulders for an evening standing up.

(I don't think you can play these sitting down..can you?)

[/quote']

I would have to say that the Gibson EDS-1275 I have (solid mahogany body and maple necks) is less weight than both of the Epi G-1275's that I had ...of course I cannot do a side by side comparison because the EPI's were returned, so this is all by recall. The biggest difference is the "tone-suck" characteristic (un-amplified) of the EPI which the Gibby doesn't have, especially on the 6-string. The Gibby 6-string rings out where both Epi's did not. Amplified, there is no comparison whatsoever; the Epi is a howling feedback monster even at low volumes where the Gibby is not ...this would not be caused solely by the plywood of course (mostly the electronics and PUs) but I'm sure it may have some small part in it. The necks of the Gibby are more comfortable for me as well.

The only thing I did like more about the Epi was the use of 3 3-way selectors rather than the 2 3-way selectors the Gibby has, but I've figured out my workarounds.

To this date I have only played the EDS-1275 sitting down, as it is a very comfortable position for both the 12 and 6 strings!

I would have to say that the Gibson EDS-1275 I have (solid mahogany body and maple necks) is less weight than both of the Epi G-1275's that I had ...of course I cannot do a side by side comparison because the EPI's were returned' date=' so this is all by recall. [/quote']

Well Mr. Moon....btw I used to have a shop teacher in HS who went by the name of Mr. Moon..and he called everyone

in his shop.."Mr. Man" ......

"Mr Man, if I've told you once..I've told you a thousand times..not to lean into that lathe

with the gouge going into the wood like that..you could get seriously hurt! " LOL!..I've give anything to go back to

those days!....anyway where was I...oh yes...

Plywood is being used more and more in guitars. I think in this day and age, you will see more of it being used.

Solid woods, such as cherry, walnut maple and certainly mahogany are going for premium prices these days..

it is 2010 after all..not 1956, and other than premium priced Gibsons, I think we will start to see the use of

plywoods on more solid bodies in the future years..like MIC Epiphones.

Profits need to be made by all those that sell those guitars. The factory certainly isn't going to take a loss

if they have to produce it for whatever their "set" wholesale price is... (let's say $100 on that guitar that

retails for $800 for the point of discussion.)

If the wood and the hardware already cost $50 or more, with the labor and machinery investment,

they will have a hard time making it for $100..so corners will have to be cut...

Seems kind of strange though that at the same time I'm starting to see acoustics with solid spruce tops for less than £100.00 (way less in some cases) that they've started making electrics out of plywood (or should that be laminate).

The Gibson ES-335 series is made of thin layers of plywood' date=' steam formed under pressure to provide the archtop/back,

Is it because it's a solid body and you want your money's worth..or for the sustain?

[/quote']

Plywood (or "Laminate") isn't a big deal for semi's or hollows. It's got that air-space to resonate. A solid-body doesn't have that, it relies solely on the wood to vibrate. Soild bodies really NEED to be soild wood, not plywood.

The Gibson ES-335 series is made of thin layers of plywood' date=' steam formed under pressure to provide the archtop/back,

[/quote']

Thinking the same thing.

BTW, mine is a Korean model from 1998 and it's solid wood,not plywood or veneer. I checked when I ripped out the electronics and replaced with all gibson hardware and pickups. Also, mine has a bigsby on the 6 string side. Kind of unique.

I could anchor the Queen Mary considering how much this boat anchor weighs.

BTW' date=' mine is a Korean model from 1998 and it's solid wood,not plywood or veneer. I checked when I ripped out the electronics and replaced with all gibson hardware and pickups. Also, mine has a bigsby on the 6 string side. Kind of unique. [/quote']

Well that's two confirmed solid-body G1275s. The one I saw at GC was an 04 Korean. ( I can't recall what factory...)

[/quote']

If a guitar is advertised as "laminate" or "plywood" it's one thing, but when its advertised as being "Mahogany" and you contact various dealers and they say, "Yep, should be solid" ...that's the first thing that upsets me. The dealer I went through (Musicians Fiend), contacted their Gibson rep, who reported that when Epiphone says that a guitar is made of "Mahogany", it means ""Plywood". Only when they say "Solid Mahogany" is it a solid chunk of wood (or glued pieces). Just a personal preference, but I would never pay the kind of money they're asking for the G-1275 had I been told that it was plywood, or any other guitar for that matter.

I, and others, have found that the 6-string sounds very dead on the Epi G-1275, even if you modify the electronics and other assorted pieces.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/1438437-post31.html

IMHO, the EDS-1275 sounds better in pretty much every way than the G-1275: resonance, sustain, amplified tone both clean and overdriven.

BTW: I own a couple of acoustics that have solid tops and laminate sides/back, and they sound fantastic, so laminate wood doesn't automatically mean anything bad, but in the case of the G-1275, it does seem to adversely impact the sound.

BTW: I own a couple of acoustics that have solid tops and laminate sides/back' date=' and they sound fantastic, so laminate wood doesn't automatically mean anything bad, but in the case of the G-1275, it does seem to adversely impact the sound.[/quote']

Yeah, 'cause Acoustics (and semis and hollows) have all that airspace in them. A solid body doesn't have that, and it just kills the sound, IMO.

laminate wood doesn't automatically mean anything bad

This^

A lot of people instantly slam plywood in guitars' date=' but if tone was really unsalvageable from it, the Gibson Zoot Suit wouldn't exist! :D

[img']http://images.gibson.com/Files/311e1484-c587-4db7-9442-6470cddca041.jpg[/img]

Personally the plywood 1275s doesn't bother me at all. As long as it's finished well (unlike yours, sadly) and sounds good (also apparently unlike yours) I'd buy one for the pretty authentic reproduction of the Gibson, had I the money.

A lot of people instantly slam plywood in guitars' date=' but if tone was really unsalvageable from it, the Gibson Zoot Suit wouldn't exist! [biggrin']

311e1484-c587-4db7-9442-6470cddca041.jpg

If it weren't for greedy exectutives the Gibson Zoot Suit wouldn't exist. (Altough if somebody wanted to give me one, I would take it. But I sure ain't spending money on that thing.:D )

If it weren't for greedy exectutives the Gibson Zoot Suit wouldn't exist. (Altough if somebody wanted to give me one' date=' I would take it. But I sure as hell ain't spending money on that thing.:) )[/quote']

If my bank accounts were like, say, Bill Gates' then I might buy one of those to hang on the wall in my billiards room, but otherwise, I don't think so.

If a guitar is advertised as "laminate" or "plywood" it's one thing' date=' but when its advertised as being "Mahogany" and you contact various dealers and they say, "Yep, should be solid" ...that's the first thing that upsets me. The dealer I went through (Musicians Fiend), contacted their Gibson rep, who reported that when Epiphone says that a [b']guitar is made of "Mahogany", it means ""Plywood[/b]". Only when they say "Solid Mahogany" is it a solid chunk of wood (or glued pieces).

Ok, you have a point there Mr. Moon..about the wording and truth in advertising these days...

but today finding even plywood mahogany is tough to find here now. Take H-D

for instance, all they have in the 4x8 3/4 inch stuff is veneer on particle board.

Hard to make anything out of that stuff..so mahogany plywood is still a step up over that crap.

IMHO, the EDS-1275 sounds better in pretty much every way than the G-1275: resonance, sustain, amplified tone both clean and overdriven.

Yes, and it should be for the kind of money you would pay for a Gibson..

...but these Epiphones G1275s are made for the "budget concious" guys ( that in most cases, not all),

would be satisfied with the way it plays and maybe the slight difference in weight if there is any advantage

there.

Those with discriminating ears shouldn't be buying them..lets face it, you aren't going to get much for a $800

double instrument these days from a big name vender, IMO.

Archived