Gibson Brands Forums

Epi G-1275: Plywood?

mr. moon

Those with discriminating ears shouldn't be buying them..lets face it' date=' you aren't going to get much for a $800

double instrument these days from a big name vender, IMO.

[/quote']

I would have to agree with you on this point, for the most part anyways....

While the acoustic tonal characteristics would be considered "discriminating", because who's going to just use this thing acoustically except when practicing, but the feedback issue is one of plain old "usability". Both G-1275's I got began feedbacking at fairly low volumes when amplified; volumes low enough that I didn't have to wear earplugs and couldn't "feel" the sound, if you know what I'm sayin'.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have to agree with you on this point' date=' for the most part anyways....

While the acoustic tonal characteristics would be considered "discriminating", because who's going to just use this thing acoustically except when practicing, but the feedback issue is one of plain old "usability". Both G-1275's I got began feedbacking at fairly low volumes when amplified; volumes low enough that I didn't have to wear earplugs and couldn't "feel" the sound, if you know what I'm sayin'. [/quote']

That ain't the wood. Its non potted pickups.

That ain't the wood. Its non potted pickups.

Non-Potted cheap pickups.

I have Burstbucker pros on my 6 string side and it does not squeal too much, except when very close to the amp.

I put 490r and 490t on the 12 side and it sounds sweet!

The 6 side really can drive an amp when cranked.

• 1 year later...

I am not disputing that the zoot is laminated but I believe that there is a big difference between laminating fairly thick sheets (relative to what might be found in cheap plywood)of wood that has been carefully selcetd and aged etc an just using any old plywood. That said, the zoot is clearly a compromise to achieve a specific look and it is not really a look I am going for. Probably best left to collectors who do not play.

I am not disputing that the zoot is laminated but I believe that there is a big difference between laminating fairly thick sheets (relative to what might be found in cheap plywood)

Interesting comment about the Zoot Suit having thicker layers. I count 20 visible layers on the side of the Zoot Suit. And 7 layers in the full depth of the pickup cavity on the G1275. Unless the Zoot Suit is twice as thick...

The point is not that all plywood = all plywood. The point is that all plywood != crap. [thumbup]

But I applaud you on posting almost exactly one year after the last post. [biggrin]

I agree that I'd be PISSED if I bought one for good cash and it was supposed to be "solid".

BUT, I have 2 Juniors, pretty much the same, but one is plywood, one is "mahogany".

And to be honest, unplugged, the plywood body has more sound quality and sustain than the solid body!

I read somewheres that these double necks can run between 22-25lbs..that's a lot of weight hanging off your

shoulders for an evening standing up.

Can't say I've ever seen anyone play one of those for a whole evening, or an entire set for that matter. It's usually a "one trick pony" that gets trotted out for a song or 2.

Hi,

I recently purchsed an Epi G-1275 "Limited Edition" doubleneck from Musicians Fiend, and once I opened up the back cover, I discovered that the "mahogany" is actually "mahogany plywood". On a $300 guitar, this would be ok, but not an $800.00 guitar, so it's going back (see photos at end of the post... It had some other rather significant defects as well, so there's no way I'm going to keep it. However, I am interested in the non-limited edition G-1275. Can anyone tell me if the alder used in the body is plywood, or is it solid?

Thanks!

-mr moon

plywood2.jpg

plywood1.jpg

Hi Mr. Moon,

Thank you for the post and your participation in the forum. First, I'm very sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your G-1275 purchase. Additionally, it's clear to me that we, as well as our retailers, are causing some confusion with regards to the specifications of this product. I apologize for this and I invite you to return your purchase to your authorized Epiphone retailer for a complete refund. If you have any problem doing this, please email me directly via this forum and I will take care of it personally. We will be adjusting the wording of the body specifications to more coincide with our customer expectations for this product.

That said, our G-1275 is made from laminated Mahogany and has been since it's introduction approximately 15 years ago. This includes both the price list model (cherry) and any/all limited editions. During that time, I have not been aware of any confusion regarding this specification nor any major customer complaints until now. Laminated wood is not new and it is not unusual in guitar production. There are many laminated Spruce top acoustics as well as most all "ES" model guitars made with laminated (layered) tone woods.

The reason that we make the G-1275 from laminated Mahogany has to do with the size of the body (remember - this is almost the width of 2 guitars) and the stress it is under given the 2 necks (12-string and 6-string). Given our cost target, if the body were solid Mahogany, it would have to be made from many multiple pieces. We tested this approach when we were first considering the release of this model. Unfortunately, what we found was that the body tended to warp. Therefore, our Engineering staff decided to use a laminated piece of Mahogany providing much more strength and stability. And - testing showed that there was no significant change in tone.

While I recognize that $800 is a lot to spend on a guitar, please compare it to the solid wood Gibson version for 5-times more at ~$3,999. In that light, we believe that our G-1275 remains a tremendous value and a great guitar.

Once again, I do apologize for your disappointment and I look forward to gaining back your confidence.

Sincerely,

Jim Epi

While I recognize that $800 is a lot to spend on a guitar, please compare it to the solid wood Gibson version for 5-times more at ~$3,999. In that light, we believe that our G-1275 remains a tremendous value and a great guitar.

Excuses. BC Rich offers a double-neck Bich model that has Maple neck-thru construction, solid Nato wings, Ebony 'boards and fancy active electronics for $999.99 street.

DoubleNeckBich.jpg

Nope ...at least according to the sticker that came with the G-1275's (see image below), which describes them as being "Double Vacuum Waxed." (I'm assuming this means "potted")

So they are potted, but yes, they *are* cheap!

withrec1.jpg

Hi Mr. Moon,

Thanks again for your participation in the forum. As a follow up to my previous response, I've reviewed the thread more closely and I would like to clarify some things so I can better resolve this matter.

Your original post regarding the white Limited Edition G-1275 appears to have been dated 9/20/2009. This post that I am quoting above is dated 01/20/2010 and includes a receipt and image of a cherry G-1275.

1. Did you first purchase the White G-1275 and then later purchase another one in Cherry?

2. I see the invoice is for "Music and Audio Distribution." Are you a retailer?

3. Was the white G-1275 guitar you purchased with the cosmetic issues a new guitar? If so, I'd like you to please send me the serial number so we can track down the source of this problem and take corrective action.

Thanks again,

Jim Epi

Excuses. BC Rich offers a double-neck Bich model that has Maple neck-thru construction, solid Nato wings, Ebony 'boards and fancy active electronics for $999.99 street.

DoubleNeckBich.jpg

I'm sorry Epi1, I seem to have missed your response to my last comment? That's OK. I'll wait.

Mr. EPI 1, thank you for allowing this thread to 'live'........... It is very interesting..........I have never experienced the quality problems like the white double neck.....As a matter of fact, my new Epi Riviera P-3 is flawless, and is an amazing guitar..............

CHEMURGY; Guitar cabs should be made of plywood; preferably marine grade birch..........

HUNGRYCAT; I saw that B.C. Rich in a store a while back...I forgot that it existed........I really want one, and I'll get one...good post, and thanks for reminding me of that guitar...

EPI 1; You guys are coming out with some really nice 'must have' guitars, like the goldtop P-3, the Epi Nighthawk, and that new Sheritan II guitar, which is a killer guitar...

And thanks for allowing this thread to exist...knowledge is good...........

Mr. EPI 1, thank you for allowing this thread to 'live'........... It is very interesting..........I have never experienced the quality problems like the white double neck.....As a matter of fact, my new Epi Riviera P-3 is flawless, and is an amazing guitar..............

CHEMURGY; Guitar cabs should be made of plywood; preferably marine grade birch..........

HUNGRYCAT; I saw that B.C. Rich in a store a while back...I forgot that it existed........I really want one, and I'll get one...good post, and thanks for reminding me of that guitar...

EPI 1; You guys are coming out with some really nice 'must have' guitars, like the goldtop P-3, the Epi Nighthawk, and that new Sheritan II guitar, which is a killer guitar...

And thanks for allowing this thread to exist...knowledge is good...........

Hi Damian,

Thanks for your post and participation.

The Riviera Custom P93 has really been well received. I speak with many customers who have them and they love them too. Thanks!

I'm also very excited about the new guitars recently introduced and in particular, the Nighthawk. Look for more introductions coming up soon!! I think you'll like them!

Thanks again,

Jim Epi

Hi Damian,

The Riviera Custom P93 has really been well received. I speak with many customers who have them and they love them too. Thanks!

I'm also very excited about the new guitars recently introduced and in particular, the Nighthawk. Look for more introductions coming up soon!! I think you'll like them!

Thanks again,

Jim Epi

Keep on ignoring me, Jimmy-boy.

Keep on ignoring me, Jimmy-boy.

Hungry ... give it a rest, huh?

Why in the world would Epiphone care to comment on another manufacturer's guitar? B.C.Rich does what it does ... Epi/Gibson does what it does. Who do you suppose sells more guitars?

If you happen to like that siamese twin-*****, go and get yourself one (personally I don't see the point). If you like the 1275's then you have two choices ... Epiphone or Gibson. You have all the facts regarding both construction of the guitars and the reasons for the choices made regarding said construction. The choice of whether you buy one or the other or neither is all yours.

Why this zombie of a thread had to resurface in the first place is beyond me ... other than for Mr Moon to brag on his Gibson (it's better ... well, DUH!). Jim R came on here TWICE and spoke to the subject ... even though it's months old and pretty much a dead issue. The only positive I see coming out of this is Dan (Carverman) making a very well spoken appearance.

Seriously, between this needling and Crust's whining about wanting to be in an Epiphone ad (for God's sake!) ... I just don't know what's going on in here anymore!

Jim

Why in the world would Epiphone care to comment on another manufacturer's guitar? B.C.Rich does what it does ... Epi/Gibson does what it does. Who do you suppose sells more guitars?

If you happen to like that siamese twin-*****, go and get yourself one (personally I don't see the point). If you like the 1275's then you have two choices ... Epiphone or Gibson. You have all the facts regarding both construction of the guitars and the reasons for the choices made regarding said construction. The choice of whether you buy one or the other or neither is all yours.

Why this zombie of a thread had to resurface in the first place is beyond me ... other than for Mr Moon to brag on his Gibson (it's better ... well, DUH!). Jim R came on here TWICE and spoke to the subject ... even though it's months old and pretty much a dead issue. The only positive I see coming out of this is Dan (Carverman) making a very well spoken appearance.

Seriously, between this needling and Crust's whining about wanting to be in an Epiphone ad (for God's sake!) ... I just don't know what's going on in here anymore!

Jim

I do not "whine". Chortle and guffaw maybe, but no whining.

Mr. Moon hasn't been here in quite some time and he was quite mad when he left.

By all accounts I believe Angry Cat to be his new name.

He won't accept your apologies or even try to reason with you now.

He has moved on.

I am by no means Mr. Moon.

Jim

I just know BS when I see it. Jimmy-boy said that it would be cost prohibitive to make the G1275 out of solid wood, I provided evidence to the contrary with the comparatively priced BC Rich model. In a post from Jim R. himself, he compared the new Nighthawk to the Fender Blacktop series. So don't tell me it's not fair for him to comment on another manufacturer.

This will be my last post here. I've always enjoyed talking to people here, and I wish you guys the best. Duane, you don't have to delete my account like you did Cooper's, maybe what I had to say here will help future members, but If you really want to, I don't care. I'll probably set-up over at the Carvin forum, a company that cares about their customers unlike Gibson Guitar Corp. Thanks for the good times, guys.

Sincerely - Ryan R. Davis AKA Hungrycat/Angrycat

This-Thread-Is-Now-Diamonds.jpg

Hi Damian,

Thanks again,

Jim Epi

Thank you for your response Jim, it means a lot to me........It is nice to be a participant of good standing here....My Epiphones, Gibsons, and other guitars are very special to me,

and until I read and chose to join in on the Epi forum, I had almost forgotten how unique and really special that Epiphone guitars are; as such, I in turn thank you Jim and Epi....

And Duane as well................

Archived