• Created
  • Last Reply

Here I am playing my Gibson ES-125, ca. 1973, age 19

ES-125-1.jpg

My Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, ca. 1976

LesPaulDeluxe.jpg

1980, playing my Gibson ES-335TD in a band called "The Boogie Men"

ES335-1980.jpg

The most recent pic I could find - playing my Epi Joe Pass at a Church Singles Group "Hawaii Night" in 2003

HawaiiNight.jpg

Hey CB' date=' I can't help wondering how a 19 year old kid came to have so much expensive gear. You didn't save for that with paper route money, that's for frikkin' sure.

Inquiring minds, and all that...

Play on

[/quote']

Hadn't thought about THAT topic in a while... I had been working at a "Musicland"

store for about a year (do they still exist?) and my MOM agreed to co-sign my very

first bank loan. I bought the white Les Paul, paid it off early, and so it began - went

back to bank, took out loan for Musicman Amp on MY signature, paid off early... I actually

paid for my own gear, horse-traded for some, too. Had it not been for that very first

"leap of faith" with the first bank loan...

How does a 19 year old, afford that kind of "gear?" None of your "bee's wax!" LOL! But...I'll tell you, anyway...

I/We played a LOT of "One Night Stands," all over the Midwest, to pay back a loan I'd taken out,

for my band's equipment. My Mother had to co-sign the loan...as I had no real "Credit" (good, bad, or otherwise) yet...at

that time. She was our biggest "fan!" Even introduced ME, to "The Beatles" music, instead of the otherway, around. ;>)

CB

Charlie, I had a '68 LPC exactly like yours in the late 1970's and of course sold it. I am amazed at how much money they are asking for them now - I mean, it was a pretty nice guitar, but there are limits.

Nice to see one again - thanks for the pic.

ADDED: I bought mine around '77, for all of $400, with factory case. It needed new pickup covers and tailpiece stud, which I bought and had installed for another $65 or so.

Around 1993 I bought a white '74 Custom, also with case, for $1000, and managed to sell that one , too.

I now have a Gibson LP Special, about what I can afford, along with a great Epi and a few Fenders.

mark

Yeah, and all that great old equipment (amps, especially), was a lot more "reasonable" in price, back then, too! Even with inflation. Gibson and Ric's have

certainly gone WAY up, in price...seemingly. I don't know....I feel like EVERYTHING is overpriced, anymore! Not just musical instruments, but everything!

But, maybe that's just my feeling?! Who knows?

CB

My' date=' How Time Flies!!![/b']

"Then"

CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg

A friend of mine, sent me this recently. It's from a polaroid, that he shot (of me), the "Summer of 1969"...

standing in front of my Marshall "Major" full stack, holding my '68 Gibson LP Custom,

and off to the side, is my 68 (Jetglow) Rickenbacker 360-12 string. I was all of 19, at the time.

It's hard to believe I was that thin, and had that much hair! LOL!

Man, would I LOVE to have all that "gear" back, again!!! ;>)

"Now"

CBwtihGibsonLesPaulSpecialatCarl-1.jpg

Taken on my cousin's deck, in Colorado...July, 2009 CB with "Faded" Gibson LP Double Cutaway "TV-Yellow."

CB

Thank God, you're balder than me! Or maybe just in different places. :D

LOL...yeah' date=' that (balding) started in my late 20's! I didn't have a chance, since both of my grandfather's were bald! ;>b

CB [/quote']

So were both of mine ... and my Dad ... and my uncles ... and both of my younger brothers! Somehow I have avoided this so far (maybe I'm the milkman's kid)!

Jim

So were both of mine ... and my Dad ... and my uncles ... and both of my younger brothers! Somehow I have avoided this so far (maybe I'm the milkman's kid)!

Jim

Well, Enjoy your good fortune, Jim! LOL! I seem to have plenty on the sides and back,

but the front/top...Yikes!! ;>b

CB

Hey guys' date=' quitcher*****in'!!! A few years ago I decided "no more bad hair days for me". With the help a razor and a can of shaving cream, I have found freedom :D/

Here's a pic of me in the Forward Lounge of the Norwegian Sun on an Alaska Cruise this June:

[img']http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss187/bluesman345/CopyofDSCF0028.jpg[/img]

Well, Bluesman...Where's your "lollipop?" ;>)

CB

Archived