Gibson Brands Forums

Here's a grin..."A Pic, from the Past!

charlie brown

Back in the day... Might as well.

My First Les Paul. The "Mr. Bill Show" T-shirt should

date the pic for some of you (not THAT long ago...AHEM).

Copyof100_0361.jpg

Copyof100_0363.jpg

My long-gone, but beloved MUSICMAN 130HD and 2 412 cabs.

Copyof100_0364.jpg

General GIG shot...

Copyof100_0366.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My First Les Paul. The "Mr. Bill Show" T-shirt should

date the pic for some of you (not THAT long ago...AHEM).

OHHHH NOOOOOOOooooooooo !!!!!!! ](*,)/

Speaking of Mr Bill, that reminded me of the time when my sister-in-law and I "borrowed"my niece's Play-Doh of the necessary colors and made a Mr Bill for my brother ..... well, we decided to "cure" it in the oven so it would be hardened, but I guess we got a little carried away and had the heat too high ..... Bill got a crust on the outside, but I guess the inside of his head (the thickest piece) was a molten core, which proceeded to crack the side of his head open and Play-Doh "lava" oozed out. F'ed up our work of "art," but was funny as all get out ..... and a very fitting occurrence for none other than Mr Bill himself ..... I love my brother - he's several years older than me (I was born in '58), and turned me on to a lot of great music when I was a young'un. And, after all these years, he's decided to learn how to play guitar .... of course, we live 500+ miles apart, so it's not like I can help him all that much NOW...

Well, speaking of "OLD Gig Photos?" Here's a couple, from June, 1966 in the National Guard Armory, in the county seat,

when I was 16 (Standing in front of my first Vox Super Beatle amp, holding my beloved Gretsch Country Gentleman). I'm

still in touch with the others, in that photo, and in fact...played a local "RockFest" with them, in 2007. What a HOOT, that was!

"The Assassins" Summer, 1966! LOL!

08-20-2008124508PM.jpg

08-20-2008122537PM.jpg

CB

Whoa...I feel like a child. I'm the better half of 20 and WISH I had the gear you guys had back then. Must've been nice.

I'm sure I'll be right where you guys are now though' date=' older and wiser with more gigs under my belt, hopefully with a bunch of cool tour stories to tell. Heh.[/quote']

Har Har!!! If memory serves me, I'm playing a 1978 Les Paul Custom (deluxe?),

I paid about $800 for it BRAND NEW! What the heck are they going for now?

Ahhhh...Musician's Friend sells 'em for $3,800... hee, hee, hee!!!!!!

Charlie B - LOVE the haircuts!!!!

Hee hee ... no "Dorian Gray" portraits here either! Ahhh the ravages of time ...

Mid-1970's Jim in the studio:

scan0002.jpg

OMG, I had an engineer's cap exactly like that one around the same time when I was young teenager, give a couple of years or so. Wow, I had totally forgotten about that cap until now. The memories that come flooding back sometimes.....

And as to the ravages, I prefer to think of it as aging, like a fine wine. 8-[

Har Har!!! If memory serves me' date=' I'm playing a 1978 Les Paul Custom (deluxe?),

I paid about $800 for it BRAND NEW! What the heck are they going for now?

Ahhhh...Musician's Friend sells 'em for $3,800... hee, hee, hee!!!!!!

Charlie B - LOVE the haircuts!!!![/quote']

Yeah, my '68 LP Custom (in the initial photo on this thread), was $575.00 New, I think the

Ric 12-string was about $525.00 back then, as well. The Super Beatle Amp was $650/700

bucks, new...maybe? Of course, there is a Big difference in '68 "dollar value," and nowadays,

inflation, and all.

As to the "haircuts?" Can you believe, that same year (1966), I was sent home from High School, for

3 days, because of my hair being that "Long!" Well, that...and the fact that I refused, to go to

the barber, for the 2nd time that day, to get a "Real Haircut," as the Superintendent called it. LOL!

How things have changed, indeed! ;>)

CB

If only we could go back in time with the knowledge we've gained since then.

If we could only go back in time and get the EQUIPMENT!!!!! I miss my

1979 GIBSON "The Paul".... Keep seeing 'em on ebay... That Super Chet

is great!

Yeah, I was hoping people (older or not) would post some of their old band photos (or current ones, if you're one of our younger members).

It's always fun to see what went before, where we were/are, what we used or use, still...etc. So, it's good that some have done that...I

hope other's will join in, on the "madness," as well. ??? ;>)

I just started another thread "Old" (or current) Band's Photo thread!" So, hopefully everyone will post here, or there...or both,

if you like?

Cheers,

CB

Yeah' date=' I was hoping people (older or not) would post some of their old band photos (or current ones, if you're one of our younger members).[/quote']

Man, don't I wish. I think the few pictures that got taken during the three or so years with the only "real band" I was ever a part of got lost somewhere in the shuffle between when my parents split up and I left home and started moving around a lot, or are in the possession of people who took them at one of our performances that I've long since lost touch with. I left home under pretty bad circumstances (matter of fact, that's where at least two of my guitars, a Tele and some acoustic that I had bought from my friends dad, went as I recall - got hocked to help buy my bus ticket out of there) so I didn't have much with me in the way of anything except clothes when I walked out, much less pictures. And of course, the guys in the band have long since scattered to the four winds. Really wish I'd kept better track of that stuff. I guess we all have little regrets like that to one degree or another.

I WISH that I had had a copy made for myself of our bands demo tape case insert........I had blonde hair down to 4" off my belt in the back, and 1/2 way between my shoulders & elbows on the sides.......almost platinum blonde and wavy beyond belief.

The master is in my attic somewhere........caseless, and I've not a clue why besides carelessness on my part :-

I WISH that I had had a copy made for myself of our bands demo tape case insert........I had blonde hair down to 4" off my belt in the back' date=' and 1/2 way between my shoulders & elbows on the sides.......almost platinum blonde and wavy beyond belief.

The master is in my attic somewhere........caseless, and I've not a clue why besides carelessness on my part #-o [/quote']

HAIRDO!!! Mine was Straight, shoulder length, parted down the middle

and "feathered back" on each side. A cool look, I thought! I eventually

took to wearing Khaki pants, white tennis shoes, a red and white horizontally

striped "T" shirt, and a Black leather jacket with pushed-up sleeves - to go

with the feathered hair, of course. Early 80's "classy" hair metal!

Edit: Oh, Cr@p - I just realized that sounds like Rick Springfield (shudder......).

I WISH that I had had a copy made for myself of our bands demo tape case insert........I had blonde hair down to 4" off my belt in the back' date=' and 1/2 way between my shoulders & elbows on the sides.......almost platinum blonde and wavy beyond belief.[/quote']

Same here. We never recorded a demo, per se, but my sister made a pretty good cassette recording of us doing 5 songs, 4 cover tunes and one of our only originals "The Brimhall Blues". That's one of the few days of playing that's really fresh in my memory, because the place we were rehearsing in was almost acoustically perfect that day (weather was beautiful, with just a touch of humidity) and we were almost dead on for once. :) Heaven only knows whatever became of it.

My hair was never quite that long, though. I think just above my should blades was as long as I could get it before it started to curl up at the ends and didn't want to go around with Farrah hair. Curly looked OK on some guys, but it just looked goofy on me. #-o

Damn! Why is it that 18-year-olds get Gibsons and Rickenbackers' date=' and 59-year-olds get Chinese made Epiphones? Do we not get dumber as we get older? So much for wisdom![/quote']

Jeffery - We're not Dumber, "we" (I speak of myself here) were too

STOOPID to realize what we had in our hands and the long-term

value of the gear. If I could, I'd travel back in time, go tap myself on

the shoulder and tell myself to NEVER let the stuff go... (insert

Twilight Zone noise here...).

Man, I can certainly "relate" to wishing I had more photos, of ANY/ALL the bands I was in. The '66 photo (posted) was 1 of about 8, from various angles, that

one of our member's parents took, with a Kodak "instamatic!" The shot of myself, with my Marshall was from a polaroid, taken when my best friend (and

bass player) was home on leave, from USMC Boot Camp. The "Best" band I was ever in...(with that same Marine Corps buddy) was never photographed

(that I know of). We just didn't seem to DO that, then...for some strange reason. So, beyond wishing I still had all my "Gear" from that period, I wish

there were a LOT more photos, too!

Note, to younger members: "Take lots of pictures (Video, Still's, whatever), of all your bands, members, friends (groupies), and make copies to stash away

for your older memories. They will be "priceless," to you, later!

CB

How about this:

Teisco EP-8T

Jerrymac, you are amazing!!!!!! That's IT!!!!!!!

Out of curiosity, are they considered 'junk" nowdays?

Well, following your ebay hint, I guess at $379 Buy it now,

maybe not. Dang! Another "wish I still had it git!"

...Out of curiosity' date=' are they considered 'junk" nowdays?

Well, following your ebay hint, I guess at $379 Buy it now,

maybe not. Dang! Another "wish I still had it git!"[/quote']

They do have a bit of a cult following, kinda trashy chic. I guess so many of us started with these '60s Japanese guitars that they have a certain nostalgic value. My first was a Domino, which is the graphic in my sig.

You must have some guitar closet' date=' Jerrymac?! LOL! [/quote']

Well, that was just a pix I found on the web for animalfarm. Actually, I've sold off almost everything and have very few guitars left. Just the ones I use for recording.

My' date=' how time flies!!!

[img']http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/charliebrown1949/CharlieBrown19Summer1969withMarshal.jpg[/img]

A friend of mine, sent me this recently. It's from a polaroid, that he shot (of me), the "Summer of 1969"...

standing in front of my Marshall "Major" full stack, holding my '68 Gibson LP Custom,

and off to the side, is my 68 (Jetglow) Rickenbacker 360-12 string. I was all of 19, at the time.

It's hard to believe I was that thin, and had that much hair! LOL!

Man, would I LOVE to have all that "gear" back, again!!! ;>)

CB

Hey CB, I can't help wondering how a 19 year old kid came to have so much expensive gear. You didn't save for that with paper route money, that's for frikkin' sure.

Inquiring minds, and all that...

Play on

Archived