Gibson Brands Forums

Information on Epiphone Guitar

yamiexup

Hello All,

I was hoping that someone may be able to point me in the right direction to find out more about my Epiphone Guitar.

The serial No. U98120698 I believe tells me that it was made in Korea by the Unsung factory in December 1998, but I was interested in finding out more regarding the model name, construction, reviews, etc.

I've been told it was sold as a "Epiphone Les Paul Ebony Elite" in a short period that Epiphone were using the name 'Elite' for this model. However I've been unable to verify this nor find out very much else. Basically it is a Black Les Paul, with white banding and gold trim and has the Gibson name on the top of the neck.

Is there somewhere I can go to find out? An help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: I'm no expert and very much in the learning stage, but the guitar receives a lot of compliments from various muso's who try it. It is in mint condition, has Eric Clapton Pickups, but I still have the original pickups boxed since new.

Hello All' date='

I was hoping that someone may be able to point me in the right direction to find out more about my Epiphone Guitar.

The serial No. U98120698 I believe tells me that it was made in Korea by the Unsung factory in December 1998, but I was interested in finding out more regarding the model name, construction, reviews, etc.

I've been told it was sold as a "Epiphone Les Paul Ebony Elite" in a short period that Epiphone were using the name 'Elite' for this model. However I've been unable to verify this nor find out very much else. Basically it is a Black Les Paul, with white banding and gold trim and has the Gibson name on the top of the neck.

Is there somewhere I can go to find out? An help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: I'm no expert and very much in the learning stage, but the guitar receives a lot of compliments from various muso's who try it. It is in mint condition, has Eric Clapton Pickups, but I still have the original pickups boxed since new. [/quote']

I RAN THE SERIAL# AND THIS IS WHAT I COME UP WITH

Your guitar was made at the

Unsung Plant, Korea

December 1998

Production Number: 0698

ACORDING TO THE SERIAL # IT IS THE REAL DEAL,BUT LIKE THEY SAY HERE THROW SOME PICS UP,LET DOULBLE CHECK

ACORDING TO THE SERIAL # IT IS THE REAL DEAL' date='BUT LIKE THEY SAY HERE THROW SOME PICS UP,LET DOULBLE CHECK [/quote']

FYI, and has been said many times here, Epiphone does not maintain a database of serial numbers, so the serial number checker does not authenticate a thing.

not suree.. maybe i could find out. my uncle gave me the guitar, he said the guitar had some mods like pickups, pots, wiring, and a broken switch had been replaced.

but would have to check with him. i still have the original pickups boxed but would have to dig the uot if needed,

Hi Yamiexup,

I think this is an Epiphone Les Paul Florentine that was pretty rare (at least that is how I remember them).

They had this name due to the F-holes in them.

I saw a couple of them a few years ago but in Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

Still, a really good looking guitar.

Thanks and thanks to Jim for moving the pictures here.

IDK, I can't find it on the Epiphone web site but I found this previous post here

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=61

which in turns points to this link

http://exceptionalguitar...tory/index.php?subcat=9

they do look similar and it ties in with what i've been told that it was originally invoiced from a dealer as an Elite.

When I was searching the web a while back someone said that Epiphone had used the name Elite for a F-hole guitar for a short period but then dropped the name because of confusion with the Elitist.

But it looks more like they discontinued making the model. IDK why?

Anyway, would still appreciate any further information on this.

What a great photo to pass on to all the "fake" prophets. Just look at the attention EPI gave to inlay regularity and tuner peg alignment. Oh my, and look at those large peg washers. Yep, that locks it..., it's a fake for sure. :^o:-k :-

Epi3.jpg

This one goes into the archive bin.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

What a great photo to pass on to all the "fake" prophets. Just look at the attention EPI gave to inlay regularity and tuner peg alignment. Oh my' date=' and look at those large peg washers. Yep, that locks it..., it's a fake for sure. :^o:-k:-k

This one goes into the archive bin.[/quote']

You do realize that the tuners are not original..... if you look at another photo depicting the rear side of the headstock you will notice the original screw holes are visible.

Thanks All!!

Yea.. I was going to reply regarding the tuners, but Peter had already mentioned it in a earlier post. I believe the standard model has plastic tuners and the replacements are metal. They may not be perfectly aligned but it does hold its tuning well, so i'll put up with that. A few questions:

1. What does suicidehummer mean by MIK and MIJ? (I'm a newbie!)

2. What does Florentine indicate and is it relevent to my guitar? (is this describing the 'f' holes)

3. Anyone know why they were discontinued? - (they could have just changed the name if they we're selling)

4. They guitar is better than me, but has anyone played one and opinion?

5. Suggestion for 'very' basic starter setup? - I have a Marshall G30R CD AMP, but willing to trade and no effects pedals. I know there would be various opinions, so just if your answering one of he above questions. Just a few things to have fun with while learning.

Advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

and because everyone else has a footer =P~

I spent all my money in a Mexican whorehouse

Across the street from a catholic church

And then I wiped off my revolver

And I buttoned up my burgundy shirt

Artist : Tom Waits - "Mr Siegal" Lyrics

Archived