Gibson Brands Forums

A question to you jazz guitarists

Sydex

I don't play real jazz guitar' date=' but I saw this page recently about jazz amps:

http://www.jazzguitar.be/jazz_guitar_amps.html

[/quote']

Yep, that link says it all.

BTW, here's what Pat Martino says:

One of the most common examples is based on the monitors available. I carry a small 6 lb. power head, (Acoustic Image) amplifier, that’s most compatible with one of the requests on my “contract rider”, (2 Mesa Boogie speaker cabinets, containing 2 / 12 inch JBL speakers in each). These particular cabinets aren’t always available, and in most cases are replaced with Marshall cabinets, (sometimes containing 4 / 12 inch speakers of different types). My settings are then changed to adapt to the equipment itself. the environment itself requires equalized adaptation. A small nightclub type environment is drastically different than a large concert hall. Under ever changing challenges it’s become a study of adaptation. So, what I’m adding is a graphic description of my current home settings. Although, once the general identity is established, slight alterations reproduce what's needed.

PatMArtinossetup.jpg

I rarely play jazz but when I do I don't use any pedals, I didn't think jazz guitarists used pedals generally. Since it's a style of music nobody cares about here I know the crowd will be small so I just bring my little Vox AD30VT and use the clean channel.

The only Jazz-guitarist I've ever seen (live) was Larry Coryell

larrycoryell-2.jpg

He used a chinese made (he said himself) Parker E-acoustic guitar

and a small Henrikson (signature?) amp which was miced up!!!

His sound was great.

http://larrycoryell.net/page.php?1

http://www.jazzamp.com/

Peter

You saw Larry Coryell live!? You Dog!! Back to the topic, whenever I play Jazz I don't use pedals, just the clean channel on my Vox AC15. My guitar is an epiphone dot.

For jazz playing I generally use either an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 or a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt amp. The only effects I use are a bit of reverb, sometimes a bit of delay or chorus, and sometimes a little overdrive from the amp.

If I'm doing a more "fusoid" kind of thing, there might be some wah, phasing or flanging, but not on every song.

Not a Jazz guitar player but when I do I use pretty much the same stuff I use for everything else. Don't care if it's tubes or SS as long as the amp stays clean. Although I do favor, or my main gigging amps, are all blackface Fender tube amps. Pedal wise I use my DL4, TS9, EQ and maybe if I remember my chorus.....as I said pretty much the same stuff except for the chorus

As far as guitars it's whatever I feel like grabbing...or playing. My Hofner Verything Standard as been my favorite and main gigging guitar but my '61 SG is my favorite for that type of music. Truth be told once I eq my amp any of my guitars I plug into it pretty much works for me.

When I venture into my jazzier blues stuff, I use my Epiphone G400 Les Paul custom set on the neck pup, with the tone around 5 or 6, and a clean low volume sttting on my 1985 Peavey Studio amp. Sounds fine to me.

mark

Archived