Gibson Brands Forums

Second mortgage....anyone?

gearbasher

I played a '39 J-100 once. It didn't like me. The owner picked it up and attacked it with a 2 pound white National thumbpick and out came the biggest G chord I ever heard in my life. It pinned my ears back and made my eyes water.

But it didn't like my pussified James Taylor noodling, I tell ya. Just refused to sing for me. I felt like I was trying to whisper sweet nothings into a hooker's ear. Got nowhere!

This is it:

Slim.jpg

The neck was replaced at some point as a result of a car accident. He said he paid $100 for it in 1939 and another $25 for the case.

I played a '39 J-100 once. It didn't like me. The owner picked it up and attacked it with a 2 pound white National thumbpick and out came the biggest G chord I ever heard in my life. It pinned my ears back and made my eyes water.

But it didn't like my pussified James Taylor noodling' date=' I tell ya. Just refused to sing for me. I felt like I was trying to whisper sweet nothings into a hooker's ear. Got nowhere!

This is it:

[img']http://www.oldtimedobro.com/images/Slim.jpg[/img]

The neck was replaced at some point as a result of a car accident. He said he paid $100 for it in 1939 and another $25 for the case.

That's the thing about cowboy guit tars. You gotta play 'em like you mean it. Womens what like cowboys don't stand for no pussifootin' around. "Say what ya mean, get down to business or git outta my corral. Thet there finger pickin' is for eastern dandies!"

Are those dog clip brackets OEM?

I don't know...maybe I am just a cheap skate or don't have the appreciation I should, but I could never bring myself to pay those kind of Dollars. I just love my CJ-165 and how do you quantify what is worth the extra $53,000 for that one.

I was reading Fretboard Journal and they interview Chris Thile who just purchased a Loar F-5 mandolin for $250,000.

I really don't get it #-o

I felt like I was trying to whisper sweet nothings into a hooker's ear. quote]

two nights in a row you've caused me to spit a beverage on my laptop. tonight' date=' it was lemonade.

i[/quote']

It was the "pussified James Taylor noodling" which did for me Jeff.

KSD you can get arrested for that overhere!

They made it legal not compulsory!

• 6 months later...

It is on consignment so that's the owners price not Elderly's. Maybe they tried to talk the guy down???

On the other hand, I'm sure they know vintage like no other and they still bother to post all those fine pics.

That's so true. Some guitars are very responsive to a light touch and are good for fingerpicking. But some guitars need heavier picks and stronger attacks before they wake up and envelop you with that monster tone. You just have to realize which of your particular guitars (if any) are like that so you can respond appropriately.

On the subject of Lonnie Johnson -- do you know Stefan Grossman's "Tribute to Lonnie Johnson"? It's a beautiful' date=' slow, melancholy blues...[/quote']

That is a sweet piece of music indeed. One of my favorite Grossman LPs is "Crosscurrent" which he recorded with Danny Kalb (from the Blues Project).

Archived