Gibson Brands Forums

"Epiphone by Gibson" headstock Sheraton owners club

I've had my '86 E by G Sheraton for about a year now. I picked it up for $400, which i thought was a steal!

Fantastic guitar, almost perfect condition. It's got the script as opposed to the epsilon E - did anyone ever verify that there were only 50 of these made (as mentioned in earlier posts)?

Here's some pics -

post-90248-052906500 1543338215_thumb.jpg

post-90248-043762600 1543338223_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I’m a new club member (from France). How many are we now ?

Here are some pictures of my EbG, and of another one of 1993.

There is no more serial number sticker (but one can see the rest of it).

No idea of the exact production date.

Patrick

(sorry for m’y english... and for pictures, difficult to upload in high quality)

post-97117-086991400 1545281103_thumb.jpeg

post-97117-016244100 1545281113_thumb.jpeg

post-97117-089800600 1545281123_thumb.jpeg

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Slowhands said:

Very interesting thread.  I came across this for sale locally and it has the "Epiphone by Gibson" but it has a bolt on neck?  None of the pics here have that (though a lot are lost to time it seems).  Anyone have any idea what gives?

EBG-1.jpg

EBG-2.jpg

EBG-3.jpg

Hi Slowhands, I don't think that the neck plate pic is a Sheraton, it hasn't got the 5 piece neck and looks like solid mahogany!

On 11/27/2016 at 9:08 AM, Pacific Reef said:

@ Slowhands This is my E by G Sheraton II Look at the neck and body contours.

7ShOMf4.jpg

KhbOZqA.jpg

This is a picture of  an Epi Thunderbird Bass neckplate.

ay70rjensvvjx0vxzsip.jpg

Edited by Pacific Reef

On 6/4/2019 at 11:52 PM, Pacific Reef said:

Hi Slowhands, I don't think that the neck plate pic is a Sheraton, it hasn't got the 5 piece neck and looks like solid mahogany!

They guy put the wrong picture in for that heel, that's from a bass he was selling.  The actual guitar is a set neck as expected.  He wants a little  but too much for it but I'm seeing if he'll come down. Maybe I'll end up in the club soon, time will tell!

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SmithieEPI said:

I have an EPI by Gibson Sheraton serial # S6106359 I believe it is a 1996 would appreciate if someone could confirm.

Thanks

Hi Smithie, the Epiphone by Gibson Sheratons were only made between 1986 & 1988 so yours must be an 86.

can we see some pictures? 

Edited by Pacific Reef

• 2 months later...

I am an owner of a 1988 Sheraton from Samick,   I think,  but I am unable to see the serial number photo to validate the type of sticker used—yes, mine is still intact as I am the original owner.   Tobacco Sunburst it is in good shape.  Anyway,  it has the 8 digit serial number on a silverish sticker on the headstock.

Best Ted

1 hour ago, TGS said:

I am an owner of a 1988 Sheraton from Samick,   I think,  but I am unable to see the serial number photo to validate the type of sticker used—yes, mine is still intact as I am the original owner.   Tobacco Sunburst it is in good shape.  Anyway,  it has the 8 digit serial number on a silverish sticker on the headstock.

Best Ted

On 7/10/2019 at 12:15 AM, SmithieEPI said:

445178771_EPISERIAL.jpg.5f02ca316f3a213d7e377a190f4a4fdc.jpgSheraton.jpg.28fe882499d865d5b7834cf1091ac772.jpg

@SmithieEPIS6016359 is probably a 1996 made in Samick, Korea in January production no. 6359.

An Epiphone by Gibson headstock look like the picture below and have stickers on the rear of the headstock.

TAluPbs.jpg

Edited by Pacific Reef

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi

Interesting thread!

I bought mine in Swindon, UK, in the early 90s. It was second hand but I remember there were two, identical ones. 

Being a teen at the time I didn’t appreciate the value of knowing the serial & believe I washed it off soon afterwards (headstock otherwise so pretty!)

Super guitar, great action. 

Dan

Headstock

Edited by DrDan

I bought my Vintage Sunburst "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton new at Guitar Center, I believe it was 1989.  Swapped out the tuners for Gotoh (large buttons - look much like the originals), and a pair of Pearly Gates pickups - one with a gold cover, the other zebra.  Shaller strap locks and a Nearvana nut.

I'll pull it out of the case in a couple of days and post some photos.  Not sure which stickers remain.

Just curious -- what's the count so far?

• 1 month later...

Hoping to get some help here.. Posted in its own thread but this one still seems to be alive so here goes. Photos in original post found here: 

I have this Epiphone Sheraton with the “Epiphone By Gibson” headstock, leading me to believe it is a 1986-1988 Samick factory Korean made. There is no serial number sticker or engraving.

Now, the weird part.. The headstock is different than the standard ones. I’ve seen more of a “cursive” type Epiphone logo on a few, but never one exactly like this that’s missing the “registered” symbol. Also, there’s no black decorative lines in the binding on the sides of the headstock like the others have, and the tuners are different (could be aftermarket). And the floral design is different slightly.

The weirdest thing is that there aren’t skunk stripes on the back of the neck. Every single Sheraton I can find has these, but this one does not. Also, the bridge is different than the 86-88 models.

Has anyone seen this before? I’ve emailed Gibson but haven’t received a reply. 

I Hey WeirdEpiphone,

That’s indeed a very weird one. Never seen anything like it. 
Even the E by G cursive logo is different. And having the pin stripes makes it more interesting. 
Let’s hope you find the story behind this one, it’s a beauty btw

eddie

Thanks eddieG, this is the email I response I received from Gibson this morning:

Thanks for the email. Without the serial number we wouldn’t be able to narrow down a specific year. However, this would have indeed been made between 1986-1989. These were the only years this logo was used on the model. I personally had one with an identical logo which was made in late 1986, so this may have been made around that timeframe. Thanks again, and I hope this helps!”

Still doesn’t explain any of the weirdness of the guitar.. I’ve also noticed that the fret inlays are different (they don’t have the v shape cut into them) and they go all the way down the fretboard instead of stopping at the 15th fret.

16 minutes ago, WeirdEpiphone said:

Thanks eddieG, this is the email I response I received from Gibson this morning:

Thanks for the email. Without the serial number we wouldn’t be able to narrow down a specific year. However, this would have indeed been made between 1986-1989. These were the only years this logo was used on the model. I personally had one with an identical logo which was made in late 1986, so this may have been made around that timeframe. Thanks again, and I hope this helps!”

Still doesn’t explain any of the weirdness of the guitar.. I’ve also noticed that the fret inlays are different (they don’t have the v shape cut into them) and they go all the way down the fretboard instead of stopping at the 15th fret.

You are welcome mate. But i must say yours might be a very early 86 model since all other 87 ones I’ve seen and beyond (including mine) has the pin stripes, logo, registered stamp, etc.

Incredible enough they were very careless using those unreliable paper stickers that come off very easily if you are not careful enough while cleaning the guitar. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Axel Sonlife said:

Hey guys!

Can anyone tell me anything about my Epi Sheraton VSB?

It is an Epiphone by Gibson but I've never seen another with the lettering on the headstock like this anywhere.

sheraton.jpg

headstock.jpg

Hey Axel, nice Smokey tones in that guitar. One question. No serial number sticker anywhere in the guitar? Lettering is interesting indeed. 

cheers

Eddie

12 hours ago, eddieG said:

Hey Axel, nice Smokey tones in that guitar. One question. No serial number sticker anywhere in the guitar? Lettering is interesting indeed. 

cheers

Eddie

Thanks for your reply Eddie. She's a beauty and it's nice to see so much Epi love and appreciation here 🙂

Yep, serial number is on a sticker on the back of the headstock. Looks like she's from July 1986 and Korean made. Don't know if she's made by Sammick. There are rumours that 50 of these were made with this headstock lettering. First new Epi I had seen in the UK when I bought her in 1986.

I got her set up by a good local guitar tech who was working on a Gibson Les Paul Studio Standard at the same time. We played them both and both preferred my Epi. Sweeter tone and nicer neck 🙂

serial.jpg