Gibson Brands Forums

Does this 'float' your boat at all?

AlanH

Another nice guitar' date=' I'd have to go on a floating boat to get one. I wonder how long we have to wait here in states to get this one, and the limited edition Rivera.[/quote']

That plant in China is getting like a custom shop for the big retailers.

Almost like an "Inspired by Neil Schon." His LP has a Floyd and knobs spaced really far apart. Only thing missing is the Fernandes Sustainer.

Neal_Schon_LP.jpg

LOL - I've never seen the knobs that high up the body .... is that thing real ??? I dunno, just asking, not accusing...

looks bizarro...

LOL - I've never seen the knobs that high up the body .... is that thing real ???

As per Neil Schon's Specs. I first saw it in a Guitar Player article on Mr. Schon. I think the actual Neil Schon Signature LP was replaced by the LP Axcess model.

LP Axcess

704dbb36-3aee-4b8a-970b-02eea0c942ce.jpg

The Epi looks great. I have no problem with a Floyd on a Les Paul, I just hope they did it right by sinking it in the body like the Schon guitar and not raised up on the top. Its probably not sunken- that would raise the cost due to construction issues.

The Schon control arrangement is his custom spec as mentioned. The closest control is the master volume which is where he wanted it. There is also a master tone, a Sustainer volume, and a Cut Switch.

The Epi looks great. I have no problem with a Floyd on a Les Paul' date=' I just hope they did it right by sinking it in the body like the Schon guitar and not raised up on the top. Its probably not sunken- that would raise the cost due to construction issues.

[/quote']

Looks sunken to me. That implies they've even had to adapt the machinery to adjust the neckangle.

The Epi looks great. I have no problem with a Floyd on a Les Paul' date=' I just hope they did it right by sinking it in the body like the Schon guitar and not raised up on the top. Its probably not sunken- that would raise the cost due to construction issues.[/quote']

Only the initial CNC programming time would affect the manufacturing cost unless the corner radii radically differ from the pickup pockets then another tool would be required to mill the pocket for the tremolo. A good programmer will find a way to maximize tool usage. And even so five to ten minutes additional setup time for a mill and a drill. Cycle time will increase marginally (maybe eight seconds) for the extra pocket. The tool change time and action for the drilling operation will increase the cycle time maybe fifteen seconds.

There may be other underlying issues that are not visible, but I seriously doubt they would change the neck pocket depth / angle design, because that would require serious down time for modifying the work-holding devices. With just a little planning tool length compensations can make up the necessary differences without changing the machine setup. Besides that, these guitar would be totally different from their counterparts and that may require different basic hardware which would cut into profit...and their not going to do that.

Just my two cents based on thirty years experience.

Keeping 'em runnin' is makin' money.

Archived