Gibson Brands Forums

It's Here!!!

markerdown

I've thinned out the herd a bit to finance my next axe. I wanted the 59 Epi tribute but got tired of waiting and didn't want to get stuck with a lemon.

I wanted a 50's rounded neck and the gibby studio just didn't cut it for me. So, gone is my gretsch 5120, my Am Texas Special Strat, my CP60's strat, my epi 56 gold top, and luckily, no body came up with the cash for my 61 Elite SG and my CP50 strat.

This is what I got for a replacement:

GibsonLP.jpg

Nused, 2010 Gibby LP Traditional Plus in honeyburst, 50s round neck :-({|= ...................................markerdown

Funny you should ask. She plays great!! My honest opinion of this guitar, other than the 50's rouned neck, the 2010 epi tribute is second in quality/finish but not in sound! The honeyburst plus top is beautiful in person.

The gibby is pleked and played great out of the box. I didn't touch a thing. I tweaked on the epi just a bit.

Ok, I ran her thru my epi half stack with an MI crunchbox. Killer marshall tone!!!

My Line 6 Spyder II, awesome in all settings except that psycho insane setting.

I plugged her into an old pignose with a danelectro black coffee pedal. It was a lot of fun.

Would I have bought one if I didn't have others to sell to finance this ? No. IMO, the 2010 tribute epi is that good. Just my .02. I'm just a hobby player, what do I know[biggrin] .....................................................markerdown

Got your PM. You really did thin out your herd. That's outstanding. That seems to answer the question of, "having one Gibson vs. multiple guitars". I did the same thing last year and am down to two: a Korean made '56 Goldtop and a 2009 Gibson Std. Trad. in Ice Tea. Of course, finances factored in there too. The 50's neck more than satisfies. Not quite as chunky as a VOS, yet much bigger than the slim profile necks. It even sounds pretty resonate unplugged, when noodling around before work.

Funny you should ask. She plays great!! My honest opinion of this guitar' date=' other than the 50's rouned neck, the 2010 epi tribute is second in quality/finish but not in sound! The honeyburst plus top is beautiful in person.

The gibby is pleked and played great out of the box. I didn't touch a thing. I tweaked on the epi just a bit.

[/quote']

Congrats on your Traditional! Of the current Gibson LPs, that's the one I'd pick too. I'm very jealous.

My first thought when I read your post was to ask you how it compares with your recently purchased Tribute. An extra question, though.......

I can appreciate the quality/finish difference and the similarity in sound but, after you set up your tribute, what was the difference in 'feel' and playability.

Alan

The neck profiles are the difference. I have med sized hands with fingers that resemble breakfast sausages. The assemmetrical neck is faster to me, but the round profile feels more comfortable.

I had a std sg a while back and that neck felt more like a baseball bat compared to this gibby LP.

For jammin with a thumb over, the tribute wins hands down at this point. The neck on the slash epi's is really nice too. Not quite as full as the 50's but not a slim neck. It more closer to my 52 telecaster neck.

The 2010 tribute is a remarkable epi and worth every cent. I just had a number of guitars I wasn't playing and being the guitar junkie that I am, it was basically liquidate and replace. A gibson LP by any other name is the Epi 2010 tribute

Archived