Gibson Brands Forums

EPIPHONE squeels like a slaughtered PIG

thenutzrutz

Help

i have many guitars all are fine through the valveking 100

but the epiphone i bought today squeals like a pig being killed

it is a les paul standard and is a 95 model serial number is S5086455 it cost 200 and i hope its real

what can it be

i have a white les paul (epiphone) that is fake (i believe) and it has the sam eproblem

as soon as i hit OD pedals it squeels

i dont know what to do

HELP i hate this guitar now as it does this.

the ebay site is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250606172478&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Help

i have many guitars all are fine through the valveking 100

but the epiphone i bought today squeals like a pig being killed

it is a les paul standard and is a 95 model serial number is S50864XX

This is a Samick made one from the S in front of the serial number.

what can it be?

i have a white les paul (epiphone) that is fake (i believe) and it has the sam eproblem

as soon as i hit OD pedals it squeels

Sounds like the volume control(s) is not working correctly or the grounds are not

connected properly inside the control cavity. If only the hot wire is connected at

the jack' date=' you might get the SPS " squealing pig syndrome".

Obviously your guitar is crying for help, so you need to open the cover and check

the wires and solder connections inside... and don't forget to check the jack as

well.

HELP i hate this guitar now as it does this.

Just relax, and don't hate it..it has a problem... and whatever the wiring problem is, it can be fixed.

I assume your guitar cord is a good one and doesn't have any problems with the other guitars

you have?

Try this:

1. turn down both volume and tone controls....does it still squeal?

2. Open up the neck volume and flip the toggle to rhytmn..does it still squeal?

3. Close the neck volume and open the bridge volume...does it.....?

4. move the toggle to TREBLE..does it squeal?

5. Move the toggle to MID position..does it squeal?

Howdy, welcome to the forum...if both guitars squeal when the OD is kicked in, throw the OD away. It's a valve amp, judging by the name, so what's wrong with the overdriven tube tone? My Sheraton is a semi-hollow and probably more prone to squeal than an LP type, and I get all the dirt/crunch/distortion I want with no squeal through a Hi Octane valve amp I built from a kit.

Microphonic pups?

Yeah, that's what it sounds like, to me. My '76 Gibson LP Deluxe did that, and was unplayable,

until I got the pickups wax potted. Now, they sound better than when they were new.

So, are your pickups, in this one, wax potted...do you know?

Just take it into a decent repair service or "luthier," and he can fix it, no doubt.

Good luck...

CB

Thanks for all the help guys

i will try what has been suggested

ONE THING though

the pickups have SAM written on the back of them

it is a 1995 epi but i cant find anything out about the pickups at all.

Also i get the squeal from the distortion channel when i kik in the boose switch (on the amp)

it realy hurts my ears

all me other guitars (and i have a few ) dont do this only the two epiphones

He forgot to say to tilt the pickup to and fro a bit after a few minutes to release any air trapped inside and eliminate voids in the wax. Then after you remove them, let them cool slightly and wipe off the excess wax from the cover while its still warm.

Ok so i resoldered the jack plug as it was not a good job on it and set me amp up better and i will pot the pickups tomorrow but its starting to sound SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sweet

had my mate RAMON pop round (good guitarist) he played the epi and fell in love with it :-k

any suggestions on the type of wax to use and where to get it ?

you guys are so helpful i realy appreciate this

thanks alot

The wax you need is ordinary paraffin wax, bees wax and a little stearin.

As shown in the video - do not let the temperature go above 150C or you will melt the enamel on the wires.

Composition - anywhere between 65/35 to 80/20 ratio of Paraffin wax to Bees wax plus a teaspoon of Stearin.

If your PUs have a coloured wax in them then you can copy this with the addition of concentrate dyes for wax.

DO NOT take shortcuts in heating up the wax by using the likes of a blow torch directly on the can containing it, use the double boiler method with a tin can as the inner pot - wide enough for your PUs - and bring it slowly up to the temperature.

I would imagine making one do it on purpose would be quite tricky without toasting the pup. I would just hit your local haunt and ask the owner if he has any old crappy microphonic pups in his bin. He'll probably GIVE you one of them!

Question: How does a pickup go microphonic? Can I make a pickup microphonic? I want to try microphonic pup for some effects in a particular song (IE talking through the pickup with lot's 'o' distortion)

I was under the impression that was done by screaming to make the strings vibrate, rather than the pickups, otherwise you'd run into problems playing the super high gain stuff usually associated with that technique. :-k

General question for those on this thread that can explain the difference.

Many of the early pickups that gave tone that many seek were unpotted.

In a recent discussion with twofeets, a working musician who plays mostly P90's about really good "blues" pickups (not using much gain at all, mostly no gain at all) he says the best P90 he has was handwound and is unpotted. The early much sought after PAF's were unpotted so my question is this.

Does unpotted = microphonic.......... when using powerful amps and gain and all the gismos developed since the 50s 60s

Does that mean all those great tone monster pups of the past were actually "microphonic" if so and only if so send them all to me.....

Joking apart if someone can clear up that little mystery for me....

In a recent discussion with twofeets' date=' a working musician who plays mostly P90's about really good "blues" pickups (not using much gain at all, mostly no gain at all) he says the best P90 he has was handwound and is unpotted. The early much sought after PAF's were unpotted so my question is this.

Does unpotted = microphonic.......... when using powerful amps and gain and all the gismos developed since the 50s 60s

Does that mean all those great tone monster pups of the past were actually "microphonic" [b']if so[/b] and only if so send them all to me.....

Joking apart if someone can clear up that little mystery for me....

Wax on! Wax off! :-({|=

Ok, here's my take on it.

An unpotted pickup doesn't necessary squeal like a stuck pig,

but it can, if the feedback conditions are right and the elements inside can move around

enough to create high frequency feedback buildup.

t's similar to the acoustic feedback that most big jazz boxes have (mine included),

if you are running high gain on the amp and the guitar and speaker are on axis with each other.

Move the guitar off axis and usually you solve that problem.

Feedback, whether electrical or acoustic will cause the high pitched squeal.

(Some amplifiers actually use a tiny amount of negative feedback to eliminate

distortion and provide stability in that amplification stage. )

Microphonic squeal is a combination of high gain and some kind of feed back into

the microphone...acoustic from the mic being too close to the speakers etc.

Since you can't wax pot a microphone and expect it to still function, you have to

play with the gain of the mic channel and move the mic around in different location

or move the speakers.

Pickup squeal is more dependent on the design of the pickup. Most pickups are

"slightly microphonic"when you tap the covers with the gain cranked up.

The liquid wax just fills the air spaces and keeps the coils/magnets from vibrating.

I was under the impression that was done by screaming to make the strings vibrate' date=' rather than the pickups, otherwise you'd run into problems playing the super high gain stuff usually associated with that technique. [biggrin] [/quote']

That doesn't give me what I'm looking for. That just vibrates that strings and gives a slightly altered string sound. I'm looking for audible words...

Regardless of being waxpotted or not, any PU can go microphonic over time.

Depending on the wind(loose, tight, scatterwind etc.) and the quality of the potting, the vibrations/resonances it's exposed to, and even sheer gravity, wax can break, the coilwires can corrode and/or shift position inside the PU, and cause a PU to go microphonic/squeel.

Archived