Gibson Brands Forums

Re-finished MIJ Crestwood

coolcarl

Here's a 70's Epiphone Crestwood ET-290 ( MIJ) that I re-finished for a friend. He had stripped it and finished it in tung oil years ago and it sounded horrible. I offered to re-finish it to show him how nice it would sound re-done in Nitro Lacquer.

IMG_0579s.jpg

IMG_0576s.jpg

IMG_0574s.jpg

I should have taken a before picture but it was so sad an jacked up I got started it on right away!

He Never really liked the original sunburst, so I refinished it in a trans-blueburst.

He had sanded through the veneer, but isaved most of it:

IMG_0575flame.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

It sounded so good, I'm searching for one for myself! It is very light, sounds like both a Strat and an SG. Very resonant pickups ( In a good way) It was east to kick up the 5th harmonic even at low volumes without being microphonic ;-)

Couple of questions:

Is it a 2 or 3 piece body? Or are the images playing tricks on me[blink]

My ET-275 body is a one-piece slab of wood.... At least I think it is[confused] ...... maybe a veneer????

P4170191b.jpg

P4170193b.jpg

That looks fabulous' date=' GAS generating for sure. Nice job! Searching for one yourself? There's a "Clasic" (sic) on ebay right now, real cheap [-( , and zero feedback for the seller! wahoo!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Clasic-Epiphone-Guitar_W0QQitemZ150433575827QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item23068a3393

[/quote']

this one is cheaper, but not as nice in color.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1970s-Epiphone-Crestwood-ET-276-Made-in-Japan_W0QQitemZ250616152417QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3a59e30161

wohooo! 400 posts!!!!!!

Duane-

My 275 is heavy as well' date=' and I think its a multi piece body. I'll have to pull it out and look. [/quote']

Interesting[confused] ...... So looking at my ET-275, does it appear to be a one piece body?

Ready to sell me your trem arm off it yet????

Man I get asked quite often for that part[biggrin]

Duane, Yours does appear to be a 1 piece body. The only way to be sure is to remove the pickguard. Check the PU cavity profile for a layer of veneer. I was very impressed with clean factory wiring Epiphone did back in the day. ;-)

I don't recommend refinishing a nice collector's piece, but here's what I used if someone wants to give it a go on a suitible guitar: Ready for the secret kiddies? :-$

KRYLON "X-Metals" Anodized Blue- produces a transparent finish that looks as good or better than dye.

Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Navy Blue- I shot a base coat of white primer (only where I shot Navy Blue and black)

Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Gloss Black

Deft High Gloss nitrocellulose lacquer: 3 coats per day (3 hours dry time between coats) for 3 days.

* * * I removed the neck (taped off the neck pocket ) and attached a wooden handle to the neck pocket.

* * * I masked off the binding/ fretboard with blue painters tape before stripping. I used a spray-on stripper that scraped off pretty easy with a 4" metal putty knife. I sanded the body with 180- 600 grit. Use a tack cloth to remove dust before spraying.

1.)I shot the X metal trans-blue 1st, then white primer in the Navy and black regions.

2.)Then Navy Blue, then Black. I shot the burst freehand, but a template is a good idea. Just trace the guitar on cardboard and cut 1/2" inside the line, support the cardboard with pushpins near the center of the guitar (away from the overspray area.)

3.) Nitro laquer clear- 3 coats per day (3 hours dry time between coats) for 3 days. Let dry 2 weeks minimum.

I don't recomend wet sanding until the last day of drying, it is too easy to sand through the thin finish.

There is no need to sand between coats with nitro laquer because it bites and flows into itself easily.

Total dry time is about a month.

I used Krylon and Deft because they were compatible with each other and readily available.

The Re-Ranch products are awesome too!

Archived