Gibson Brands Forums

gibson les paul double cut faded experiences?

i have waited forever and am now in the position to look at a higher quality guitar. i have been looking at this one:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/11011

i kinda prefer the les paul special but i want this for high access. i've never owned a dc or faded gibson. what are the overall impressions of it?

having my sg still holding up after the epoxyed headstock trick i got back into playing it. i think the dc has some advantages for me. my sg does have a very mid rangy tone that i like unplugged i was wondering if it would be the same wood species of mahogany as an sg from the 80's? if so i'd be happy to go ahead 100%.

I owned a Jay Turser JT-200 Pro Double cut-away LP for a year

before finances required I sell it. [cool] No, it's not a Gibson, but

when I received the git and gave it the check-over I was

literally blown away by the QUALITY of the construction and

the playability of the guitar for the $$$ (a real bargain). I will

buy ANOTHER one as soon as I can afford it. They're built like

a tank!

I bought mine on ebay for $110.00 w/ free shipping, now they sell

on ebay for 179.99 USD - $237.00 USD with Free shipping.

They weigh around 9+ lbs, have a "fat" neck, and are worth EVERY

bit I paid. It's one of those gits you accidentally stumble across that

ends up being more than you expected. Factory tuners are adequate,

and pups really sounded decent - upgrades I probably eventually would

have, starting with tuners.

Ebay link, ships worldwide (colors vary, depending on current stock, this seller

also has Black. There are 3 sellers on ebay who handle this git, search only

came up with this seller, I assume other 2 out of stock currently...):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jay-Turser-Purple-JT200-PRO-Electric-Guitar-/310210865330?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item483a0228b2

MY Pics:

100_0294.jpg

100_0291.jpg

100_0292.jpg

Are you buying "New?" We can't get new ones, here in the "States," unless

they're NOS and/or left over, in some store....as they've been discontinued.

I love all my Double Cuts...the "Faded" (TV Yellow) one is the most recent,

of them. P-90's have Great Tone! Fat, articulate, and even twangy, when

needed. The LP "Junior Lites" have P-100's...which are a cross between a

P-90 and Mini-humbucker, in tone. Some don't care for the sound of those,

but I Love 'em.

Faded TV Yellow (with added '59 TRC, 5-ply pickguard, and Grover tuners)

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

"Cinnamon" (Red) and Black LP Junior Lite's. (Added "Tulip" tuners, and TP-6 tailpiece (in gold, on the black one)).

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

CB

i bought one of those Gibson faded DC's new about three years ago. store had them on a clearance sale.... after i got it home i found out why.....

it came strung with .009's. changed them to .010 and it took 2 weeks for the neck to settle in. constant adjustments. ok now.

had weird squealing feedback at lower volume levels. pulled the strings off and still had same problem. as i went to check out the pups (p90's) the brass inserts into the body that the machine screws holding the pups in place were attached to had pulled out of the body and the holes were stripped. a little glue fixed that.

the springs under the pups was what caused the feedback so at first i put bits of rubber band on them to stop the noise, but eventually replaced the springs with foam rubber blocks. good now also.

before i could put the foam rubber blocks in though, i had to clean up wood that was missed by the factory routing process with a sharp chisel in order for the blocks to fit.

after all that stuff, the instrument played fine. just wasnt expecting to have to do work to the thing like that after buying it new.

Can't say what "brand" or "flavor" of mahogany it's built out of but I must say that I simply love my LPDC. If I'm reading the serial number correctly it was built around 2000.

I can't think of a negative thing to say about both the sound and playability of the LPDC. The finish is not as durable so mine already has that "road worn" look. Most notably where my arm rests on the lower bout and along the low E side of the neck. It doesn't affect playability and it does give it a certain air of mojo. It is my main axe so it gets lots of lovin' and lots of workouts.

I just can't say enough good things about the sound. It barks, it snarls, it growls, it purrs. It offers a wide palette of great tones and each has mucho character. The P90s are everything a regular single coil wanted to be and everything humbuckers are too "stuffy" to be.

Playability is everything you expect from a Gibson. To me it just feels like an old friend in my hands. It is slightly neck heavy but I'm accustomed to that and adjust accordingly. The tuners function as they should and it holds a tune as you would expect.

If you're buying a new one do yourself a favor and properly oil the fretboard (give a good edge to edge coat and let it soak in then do it again and again until it stops soaking up the oil). Then take the time to pull all the knobs, the bridge and the stop tail piece and give the body a coating with a good wax. The Dunlop creme wax is good stuff. You could also use Johnson's Paste Wax or Renaissance Wax. Whatever wax you choose just make sure there is NO silicon in it. Silicon will give you a boatload of headaches if you ever choose to refinish your guitar.

P90s are single coil pickups. You would do well to line the pickup and control cavities with copper foil to mitigate hums and buzzes. You could also use an electrically conductive paint like that offered at Stewart- MacDonald:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Conductive_Shielding_Paint.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=729

I did switch the strap buttons on mine for a wide head model mostly because my favorite leather strap is getting old and the strap slots were widening. The copper foil and the strap buttons are the only mods I've made to this guitar.

Go pick one up if you haven't already and play it. Play hard, play soft, turn it up, turn it down and see what this will do for you. I love mine.

Edited to add a pic:

ou15xk.jpg

Renaissance Wax is the wax used by museums on fine display furniture. Johnson's Paste wax has no silicone in it and the solvent used has never harmed any lacquer that I've used it on. My bottle of Dunlop creme wax does not list silicone as an ingredient. If you've had wax problems on nitro finishes then it must've been caused by silicone, some other ingredient or the chosen method of stripping the finish.

Terrific guitars and one of the best values in a Gibson. Some don't like the faded finish with no grain filler under it but that's preference.

Gibson P90s can be a bit noisy at volume, however, a good shielding job can help. My preferred P90 is from BG Pickups. It's not hum cancelling or anything but it is the quietest P90 I've ever played.

EG

thanks all,

i have many types of guitars but i kinda wanted to try the original.just to guage the others i have or will have! the turser looks good though!

i have guitar with p100 style pups and like them. it's funny this dc faded white guitar is "in stock" at gak (england.) there has also been sg classics in stock elsewhere i kinda want a more lp type guitar. i might have preferred a cherry but i might add a blue pick guard, if i can get one. and spray a red cross on it! whooaaa! cool english flag guitar. (guess it'd have to be nitro?)

i will use some lemon oil as i have some. that will bring out the board nicely... shame it has no binding i like that a lot. you know i prefer the dot inlays though. as far as top heavey goes it is better than an sg though right?

oh, what kind of stock do you think they are cb? here's another link. http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/11011 the white finish is a little bland in the pic but i do like white guitars.

thanks all' date='

i have many types of guitars but i kinda wanted to try the original.just to guage the others i have or will have! the turser looks good though!

i have guitar with p100 style pups and like them. it's funny this dc faded white guitar is "in stock" at gak (england.) there has also been sg classics in stock elsewhere i kinda want a more lp type guitar. i might have preferred a cherry but i might add a blue pick guard, if i can get one. and spray a red cross on it! whooaaa! cool english flag guitar. (guess it'd have to be nitro?)

i will use some lemon oil as i have some. that will bring out the board nicely... shame it has no binding i like that a lot. you know i prefer the dot inlays though. as far as top heavey goes it is better than an sg though right?

[b']oh, what kind of stock do you think they are cb? here's another link. http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/11011 the white finish is a little bland in the pic but i do like white guitars[/b].

Do you mean "New Old Stock," or "left-over" stock? Maybe...but, UK and European dealers can,

quite often, get stock we don't get, here. Even in Japan, Gibson sends them models, we can't get

in the "States." Why???? Who knows???? It's "Gibson!" LOL! But, that white one is "Sweet!"

I'd jump all over that, if I were you. IF...it turns out to be rather unique...so much the better, right?

Cheers,

CB

i guess you don't see the grain on the white ones but i like the colour. i've asked them for an idea of stock levels so i'll have to wait and see if i have to move quick. i would have gone for a second hand ebay dc but you don't know what you're getting. gak are pretty big and so trustworthy. i am going to ask about how they have stock and is it a special edition. i did not know there were white ones. i'm guessing this is "tv white" the colour used before "tv yellow." just before the credit problems the dc's were about £499 this one is at £649. that's alot over what i wanted but i might not get another.

I expect it's old new stock. I bought my Alleykat new from GAK last year and it's a 2005.

They are great guitars. I haven't had any feedback issues, the pickup screw mounting bushes did come loose and needed glueing in. I got the yellow one.

Things I didn't like:

1. It isn't TV Yellow, it's darker

2. The white plastic tuner keys feel tacky, although they work fine

3. The headstock decal is dull and cheap looking

4. The "worn" patches were a bit random, not all in places guitars naturally wear

5. The satin nitro is thin and soft and rubs off easily.

Things I did like:

1. The feel of it; lovely slim neck, I find it to be well balanced. Feels more like Strat than anything else. Easy access all the way up the neck. Jumbo frets. No buzzing/rattling.

2. The sound of it. 2 Gibson P90s...takes a lot of beating. Unplugged, it sings too.

3. The look of it....subjective I know.

4. The value for money (for a Gibson). The compromises are all about the finish, everything else is good spec.

It's been my most-gigged guitar for 3 years, stays in tune well, and covers a range of sounds overlapping humbucker and single coil sounds.

I have a 2006 in satin ebony. I like it, Plays and sounds great. The finish is very delicate, easy to scratch through to the wood. Unfortunately it doesn't get played much since I got an SG special so I am thinking about moving it (and an Epi LP and Epi Pr6e elec/acou) to fund a tube amp. and a fiddle.

Here it is:

2005GibsonLPSpecial_4.jpg

I still have these to screw around with:

DSCN5656.jpg

I just got a 99' model Gibson LPDC in the faded brown finish. Its been used and abused but I cannot believe how great it plays. I love it. I am gonna refinish it this summer in a cinnamon red just like CB's. I have been in love with that guitar since the first time I saw it.

lpdc7.jpg

They are really great guitars!

I just got a 99' model Gibson LPDC in the faded brown finish. Its been used and abused but I cannot believe how great it plays. I love it. I am gonna refinish it this summer in a cinnamon red just like CB's. I have been in love with that guitar since the first time I saw it.lpdc7.jpg

They are really great guitars!

Well' date=' Thanks, lpfan. LP "Junior Lite's" ARE Great guitars! They were really reasonable, in price, when they were out,

too. Don't really need "modding," but with just a bit, they really "spruce up," huh? AND....the more I play the P-100's,

the more I love 'em. They might be a "compromise' to some, but I love the tone I get, with them...especially through

my Fender's (HR Deluxe, Blues Jr., and Twin Reverb). But, I've played through Marshalls, and even SS state Fenders,

and they still sound great! Just have to tweak the amps, a bit differently.

One more time, just for you! ;>)

[img']http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/charliebrown1949/DSC_0016-2.jpg[/img]

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

Any "excuse," you know...LOL!

CB

Well' date=' Thanks, lpfan. LP "Junior Lite's" ARE Great guitars! They were really reasonable, in price, when they were out,

too. Don't really need "modding," but with just a bit, they really "spruce up," huh? AND....the more I play the P-100's,

the more I love 'em. They might be a "compromise' to some, but I love the tone I get, with them...especially through

my Fender's (HR Deluxe, Blues Jr., and Twin Reverb). But, I've played through Marshalls, and even SS state Fenders,

and they still sound great! Just have to tweak the amps, a bit differently.

One more time, just for you! ;>)

[img']http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/charliebrown1949/DSC_0016-2.jpg[/img]

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

Any "excuse," you know...LOL!

CB

Yes I know. Any "excuse" LOL! I hate to "copy" but I love the way your red LPDC is and I want to refinish mine and replace the hardware so it looks just like yours. The only thing I have thought about doing different is using chrome knobs instead of black.

Hi there, first post.

Two things to say, one: That red double cut is one of the most stunning guitars I've seen online.

Two: I had the good fortune to play a righty Les Paul Double Cut upside down for about half an hour and it was a fantastic experience, comfortable neck and weight seemed like it'd hang well on a strap.

The sounds were great too.

If you can find one, grab it! I just missed out on getting a custom-modified lefty DC and I was gutted.

pohatu-

You MUST find (or make) some blue tuning keys for that thing. That would really set your look off and complete the theme you have going.

I've never seen blue keys before (like those), but perhaps you could get a white set and dye them with ink? Lightly sand with some 800 or so grit to scuff the gloss, drop them in some royal blue ink, let em soak, remove and dry well, then buff with a little 0000 steel wool. Maybe hit them with a tiny bit of shellac clear afterwards to lock the color in. If you do it right it would look like blue ivory!

Just giving ideas, AKA what I would do were it mine.

I found another LPDC on the San Diego Craigslist. Its cherry and you can see the woodgrain too. Its beautiful but the dude keeps changing the price. A couple days ago he had it listed for $700 and tonight he bumped it up to $800. Hmmmmmm. Is he related to the CEO of Gibson? LOL!

My biggest gripe is the single cutaway design of the LP. I've often wished for a double cutaway LP. I'll have to try one out if I find it in a store.

As for polish, I like the Gibson pump polish. It makes my nitro finish Gibby studio sparkle like a diamond. The bottle says that it contains lacquer to help replenish and seal the finish. There's no listing of ingredients on the bottle, but it works well and I've had the same bottle for over 3 years, since it only takes a couple of sprays for the whole guitar.

i've got some pics here at last. the pickgaurd plastic is still on. the pickups are a real concern! the backs look somewhat homemade with tin snips! no gibson stamp... the fretboard has a strange streak to it. that funny smell it had has gone though...

050610200736.jpg?t=1273179995

050610195618.jpg?t=1273180044

050610195128.jpg?t=1273180130

050610194347.jpg?t=1273180162

050610194138.jpg?t=1273180196

050610194112.jpg?t=1273180241

050610193837.jpg?t=1273180263

050610193821.jpg?t=1273180285

050610193753.jpg?t=1273180309

050610193727.jpg?t=1273180332

ahhh forgive my "make do" bluetack. also the red wire i added back in to the control panel. where's my soldering iron!

• 2 years later...

Archived