Gibson Brands Forums

Why, How, What???

smips65

Ok, so I have this Dot Deluxe, with the factory Gibby Classic 57's

And it spanks the living crap out of my Zephyr, with the Epi Humbucker stock.

So the basic question is why?

I play both with the same volume setting on the amp, and the Zep is quiet, and the Dot crunches right off the bat.

1000239d.jpg

1000238n.jpg

and the Lester does too, so a really crappy pup in the Zephyr????

Is it the pup, the pots, all of the electronics...

Maybe I should just put the Staple in the ZepReg....

Turn up your amp' date=' or buy a more powerful amp. Buy a "clean boost pedal", like the Seymour Duncan SFX-01. Try moving the pickup and/or the 6 adjusting screws a little closer to the strings.[/quote']

NO! Send the guitar to me!

Okay, the pup adjustment (raising the pup) makes perfect sense. Had to do that on my Studio.

Sheila

Turn up your amp' date=' or buy a more powerful amp. Buy a "clean boost pedal", like the Seymour Duncan SFX-01. Try moving the pickup and/or the 6 adjusting screws a little closer to the strings.[/quote']

Power isn't the problem, and adjusting the pup higher just makes the feedback issue ten times worse.

My basic question was why do the basic Humbucker pups differ so much, even despite the body shape and size.

Sheila.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Zephyr-Regent-VS-/130386591093?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item1e5ba57d75

http://cgi.ebay.com/1998-Epiphone-Zephyr-Regent-Hollow-Body-w-Upgrades-/160427976335?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item255a40a68f

They really don't cost as much as many may think....

Mine was only $250.00

But' date=' if you give me yours, it'll be free for me!![crying

See how that works!

Besides, I really want for Sledge's Wildcat!!

Sheila

EDIT: But I do like the Zephs!!

I don't mean to hijack the thread but, coincidentally, I found this exact same guitar down at the local GC this past weekend. It was on special for $349 plus they were offering another $50 off because it was Green Tag weekend so it actually could be had for $299. I wasn't really in the market for for a Dot but there was only one left and I felt like it was a deal I couldn't refuse. (especially since the tag said it had Gibson pups). Anyway, added the Dot Deluxe to the collection...

Hi J

I had a bit of a "Road to Damascus" experience a while ago a sort of "DoHHHHH" experience...

My guitars at the time

Joe Pass (2 full size humbuckers)

87 Sheraton (2 full size humbuckers)

89 Sheraton (2 full size humbuckers)

Samick SG (2 full size humbuckers)

in four guitars 8 full size humbuckers of various qualities

Then I thought.....I need a re-think and get some variety in there

Now here is the hard part.....I really liked the Joe Pass and 89 Sheraton

but sold them and put the money to a Gibson Firebird

Also brought into the fold a ZBD with three P90's

then my final piece in the jigsaw to swap the SG for a Telecaster

Now I am much happier with my small collection a lot more variety in the mix now...

I probably have two more guitars than I need so I have an A and B team....

That is because the Zephyr plays as loud as my Levin unplugged (tones not has nice but OK) and I will play the Firebird before the Tele most times.

So my point is ......maybe you are too attached to the ZepReg to part with her, but it might be that she should be replaced with something that is ready fitted with say P90's. Before you go modifying the ZepReg consider letting someone else enjoy her in her original form and buy in that variety.

Thing I really liked about your post is your admiration for your Dot........you really cannot go wrong with a nice 335 with (2 good full size humbuckers)

I don't mean to hijack the thread but' date=' coincidentally, I found this exact same guitar down at the local GC this past weekend. It was on special for $349 plus they were offering another $50 off because it was Green Tag weekend so it actually could be had for $299. I wasn't really in the market for for a Dot but there was only one left and I felt like it was a deal I couldn't refuse. (especially since the tag said it had Gibson pups). Anyway, added the Dot Deluxe to the collection...[/quote']

Then HNGD to you Bravo....:)

Yes Joe, I really do admire the Dot, I was just blown away by the difference between the 2 plugged in with the exact same settings on the Bug.

Zephyr was turned all the way up, and the volume on the Dot was 1 1/2. I'm just amazed at how the pups can make that much of a difference....

I probably won't go after the Zep with anything other than a classic, or a Benedetto. I'll save the staple project for a different victim.

WOW!!! When did they start putting Gibson Classics in the D/D ??

I "test drove" one about 2 yrs ago (not long after they came out) and was really unimpressed with the p'ups.

Sounds like time to back up, re-group, and head to GC this coming weekend.

Yes Joe' date=' I really do admire the Dot, I was just blown away by the difference between the 2 plugged in with the exact same settings on the Bug.

Zephyr was turned all the way up, and the volume on the Dot was 1 1/2. I'm just amazed at how the pups can make that much of a difference....

I probably won't go after the Zep with anything other than a classic, or a Benedetto. I'll save the staple project for a different victim.

[/quote']

smips,

Dont 'hack' the Zephyr... pleasssseeeee[confused] !

They're like our kids... we love 'em more 'cause of their differences:-k !

eggmuffins

WOW!!! When did they start putting Gibson Classics in the D/D ??

I "test drove" one about 2 yrs ago (not long after they came out) and was really unimpressed with the p'ups.

Sounds like time to back up' date=' re-group, and head to GC this coming weekend.[/quote']

These are another one of those "limited edition" issues they have...

1000247f.jpg

Yes Joe' date=' I really do admire the Dot, I was just blown away by the difference between the 2 plugged in with the exact same settings on the Bug.[/quote']

That beautiful Dot with Gibby 57's is a fine axe.....a bedrock of any collection I have been without a 335 since selling my 89 Sheraton and my E-by-G has at last a time with a guitar tech booked for next tuesday.......Full heart lung operation, bone nut, and complete set up....

I probably won't go after the Zep with anything other than a classic' date=' or a Benedetto. I'll save the staple project for a different victim. [/quote']

Very happy to hear that J....... it is strange how you grow attached to other forum members guitars....I am sure you will choose a pickup and harness to make the ZepReg compete with the Dot, without altering the ZepReg's fine original features.....

Looking forward to see how things pan out...

These are another one of those "limited edition" issues they have...

1000247f.jpg

You know, that is a crazy good price when you consider that the '57 Classics themselves retail for $99.99 EACH. So it's like buy two '57 Classics and get a really nice Epiphone Dot for $179.00!

Ok, I guess I;ll say it.

Think about what the two guitars intended use is. A LP or 335, capable of pounding out aggressive rock tones through a wall of screaming amps.

Now the Zephyr, more suited to mellow jazz and blues.

Lp and 335 have a large mass which adds to the vibration of the strings feeding the pups,

Zephyr, juts a hollow box with a nearly floating pickup only sensing string vibration.

In other words, nothings wrong, you are just learning that all things are not meant for the same sound.

A better pickup would however give you a better plugged in tone, but don't expect paint peeling screams from the Zephyr, that ain't its cup o tea.

M-Ron,

thanks for the advice....:-k I knew that mentally, but hearing the difference like that just struck me funny.

Altair...I get along really well with the guys at my local GC, and with a little hornswaggeling, and some harsh words, I actually did much better than the hang tag. The git, case, and the Bug amp all set me back $450.00

EpiErik... I agree it's very good price, and deal. The only thing I've done with the guitar from a mild Mod standpoint was turn the neck pup bracket around 180 degrees, because it wasn't seated properly from the factory. It had such a poor angle stock, so with that little tweak, she's loud and proud.

Cooper, Eggmuffins....

I won't do anything with the Zephyr, it's my go to guitar, and since I play mostly unplugged anyhow, it suits 90% of my needs as is.

It honks out that great rockabilly reverb as good as it gets. I just love that train horn honk sound, the dot does it too, just not as good as the ZepReg.

BrianH, thanks for the Headsup about the Bennedetto pups.

Sheila, just hurry up and sell some summer homes, then you can actually drool right on the Kat, instead of your keyboard. :-k

Archived