Gibson Brands Forums

Compaing Les Paul Studio & Gibson SG Standard

richiejb

Just get a Firebird !!!

Ok, I know this is going to piss you off but I HAVE to say it.

what the HELL do you like about firebirds?

They just look like a retarded cross between a LP, an explorer and a strat.

I see you talk about how wonderful they are, do you really like the looks?

If price is the driver, get the SG Standard.

Down the road, get the Les Paul Standard.

Why go halfway?

Shortchanging yourself on the Les Paul Studio makes no sense to me, never has.

It was designed as a budget guitar for entry level players, Studio is just a bit of marketing derring-do.

$.02 from the guy in Arizona.

I know both of these have the same pickups so my question is what so different about the sound. I'm trying to decide between these two. I love the Les Paul but never had a SG before.

The obvious is go out and play them. You'll hear the difference.

I have a LP Custom & SG Standard, both have the same 490/498 pups.

The LP is definitely meatier.

When you start fiddling with the tone knobs, the LP has a much, much wider tone range.

Hope this helps.

They're both great guitars obviously.

If I could choose only one I would have to go with the LP. It is the best guitar ever made!

The SG is a bit less versatile if you need a work horse that can do everything, especially if you play a lot of covers.

BTW if you need to go with a Studio due to cost...don't worry, its a very good guitar and for the price, construction and tone, it is a real LP all the way no question.

Maple tops rule... If it ain't got wood, it ain't no good! I've never really liked the sound of an SG before. Way too round and brown for my tastes. I like the edge that a good maple top provides.

That said, I really like the Swamp Ash Studios! They've got an excellent sound too! Still Les Paul, but very resonant.

It was designed as a budget guitar for entry level players' date=' Studio is just a bit of marketing derring-do.

$.02 from the guy in Arizona.[/quote']

No, it was designed as a budget guitar for cheapskates.

Actually the Les Paul Studio is one of the few Les Pauls left that has the Modern Classics as stock pickups. The idea of the Studio is very smart and has brought Gibson lots of money. It's basically a Standard Les Paul without the binding and flamed top. Different pickups also (not worse, but not better).

The SG Standard hasn't been quite friendly to me. I never really liked the Modern Classics in a SG (it lacks the maple top). I would prefer a '61 reissue over the Standard.

All in all, you should just play both and decide.

The point I was making, with a little tongue-in-cheek humor, is why stop short?

Get the SG Standard if you really wanna rock, later buy the LP Standard.

THAT'S how you build a collection, if that's your eventual aim.

If the LP is where you need to go first, save a little more money and do it right.

Lotsa Studios get sold for "real" Les Pauls after guys realize they want the binding and nice top.

Do they play or sound any different? Doubtful.

Still, when you tell somebody you have a Les Paul and they say "Really?" as their eyes light up....

Then you show them your Studio and they say "Oh, it's just a Studio...." not meaning any harm.

There's nothing WRONG with them.

But to me it's like buying a new Mustang and getting the V-6 engine for fuel economy.

WTF?

Do want a Mustang, or do you want fuel economy? You got neither one! You got a gas-guzzling, slow-*** chick car.

Either get the haul-*** V-8, or go buy a Kia for mileage.

Do you want a Les Paul, or do you want an inexpensive guitar?

Get the real deal, or just get an Epiphone for cheap.

All you Studio lovers are gonna go ape-sh!t, but it's the truth. Admit it.

I play a Lester and a Firebird every day , Neck and scale are the same , the Firebird neck seems long because of neck being like a cab forward < lack of a better term for now .

like the V and the SG .

I cant think of the term , it's late here on the east coast and I'm fried .

Do you want a Les Paul' date=' or do you want an inexpensive guitar?

Get the real deal, or just get an Epiphone for cheap.

[/quote']

You also have to remember that many guitarists are not particularly looking to build a collection. If they need a certain tone (especially if they're recording more than they tour) any guitar that has that tone will fit. I don't mind saying that I have an ugly Nighthawk or a Studio, because when I plug it into an amp and start the recording machine, it produces a sound like no other.

For an Epiphone, I agree that some sound pretty decent, but playability also plays a factor. I find that Epiphones never seem to perfectly blend with me. It keeps on detuning itself and I was never comfortable with one. But if anyone else desires a particular tone from a particular guitar, I wouldn't limit myself just because it's an inexpensive guitar.

As said above a '61 reissue SG is a better bet. The pickup tops are in line with the strings for a start, the way they sit on a standard in the big pickguard annoys the hell out of me (it's the same on my '69 Custom).

I like the '61 neck much better as well.

In saying that, a '92 Les Paul Studio has been my main guitar live and in the studio since I bought it, while fancy flame top reissues have been bought and sold after leaving me cold.

I find Les Pauls make me play in a certain way, probably because of the upper fret access, while an SG doesn't influence my playing at all.

Hahaha, actually I think some colors shouldn't have binding. The multi-tone sunbursts should NEVER have binding. (in my opinion, of course). I wouldn't mind some binding at the neck for Fenders, though. The binding really helps in comfort when sliding your hand up and down the neck.

Archived