Gibson Brands Forums

dirty frets

Trewblue

This has probably been covered before but it's new to me.

Picked up a g400 sg last week. everything is fine...except when I play my fingers get this black coloring on them. I rubbed down the fret board with mineral oil and the cloth got black, well maybe gray. I think it's the wood, not the frets. Did anyone ever hear of Epi putting some kind of coating on the fret board, maybe for shipping? It's not as bad as it was last week, but was just wondering. Gonna give them a good cleaning w/ fret board cleaner next week. Want to make sure there's no mineral oil residue left.

thanks for checking this!

Dan

Same here. Trew!

I got "coal miner fingers" with both of my Prophecy GX's (Les Paul and SG) and they are supposed to be ebony fretboards! Keep playing ... you'll start to come away clean in a few days.

Jim

Same here. Trew!

I got "coal miner fingers" with both of my Prophecy GX's (Les Paul and SG) and they are supposed to be ebony fretboards! Keep playing ... you'll start to come away clean in a few days.

Jim

I had the same with my Dot Studio. I gave it a good cleaning with lemon oil, and nothing comes off now.

They probably dye it to make it look darker. Not only Epiphone does that though.

I'm getting a Prophecy SG EX in a week or two. Let's hope this fretboad is cleaner...

Is it just the Epi which turns your fingers black?

Are the strings the same as on any other guitars you have?

Reason I ask is that I had a real problem with black fingers with my Tele (varnished maple board so couldn't have been dye) but not with any of my other guitars. Turned out that it was a reaction to the particular batch of D'Addario's I used on the Tele. All the other guitars had EB Slinkies (Electric) or Martin (Acoustic) and no reaction.

Oddly enough I tried another set of D'Addarios a few months later (almost certainly a different manufacture batch) and no probs.

Archived