Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG vs. Epiphone LP?

Bliss

Epiphone G-400 vs. Epiphone Les Paul Standard?

$399.99 vs. $499.00 [via Guitar Center]

----------

i own the Epiphone Les Paul Standard,

and ive been wondering would the SG G-400

be a better choice?

cause some people told me SGs beat LPs [biggrin]

so.

i need your opinions

and i have a question.

sorry epiphone

Fender Stratocaster or Epiphone Les Paul Standard?

I do prefer my SG's to my LP, but its really a personal thing, try before you but me say.

It really depends on what you like to play, as an archtop may also be suitable

Strats and Tele's have their place in the world too.

pb130118.jpg

pb130117.jpg

d*mn.

HOT. and i mean HOT

SG ya got there [cool]

sadly i only have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard [biggrin]

I think your reaction answered your own question.

SG and LP are apparently very similar guitars, SG are a bit thinner and lighter, with a deeper double cutaway, so it's probably easier to play, but at the expense of a little tone and sustain as that comes from the size of the wood in the LP. As far as I know, the pickups are the same and in quite a similar position, the bridge may be similar, the neck's quite similar, the wood species is similar; so it's not that far off in terms of tone, it's more about which you personally perfer the look and sound of..

Mr Les Paul didn't like the SG at all, but subtleties of tone are a lot more important in a fancy Gibson to a connoisseur than to your average player with an average guitar.

It seems from your reaction that you'd prefer an SG to a LP.

Stratocasters and Telecasters have their place, it depends what sound you want. If you want a very trebbly guitar with a single coil type sound, you're better off with a strat. If you want an extremely trebbly guitar, then a tele. If you like the bassier sound of mahognany and humbuckers, then a Gibson style guitar's better for you. It's all about personal taste.

Hope I've been helpful.

Bliss not sure which one of my SG's pictured above you like the look of, but the neck sizes on them are very different.

The black G400 has a "thicker" more traditional neck, whilst the Prophecy has what Epi term a speed taper neck which is a slim D profile with a satin type of finish which is quite fast and smooth. The nut width is the same.

The black G400 has Gibson 57 classic pickups, which I fitted which give a good classic warm sound for ACDC, Black Sabbath type of good old school rock, i suppose you could call it good for 60's and 70's

The SG Prophecy has Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups as standard, and they are very hot, great for your more aggressive hard metal styles. It also has coil tapping for making each coil run as a single coil.

Both will still play a nice clean sound.

You really need to try a heap of different gits to see which suits you best.

Enjoy the search, go from shop to shop and drive em mad

DSC00057_edited-1-2.jpg

I'm glad I can play either one.

My SG sounds better overall. The stock pups in the MIC '06 G400 are way better than the one's in the MIK '97 LP. But someday I'm getting new one's for the LP. So we will see. My LP has a great neck and fretboard with low action.

I've always liked the look of both guitars, but I lean slightly toward the SG.

I feel more comfortable playing an SG than just about any other type of guitar (not including acoustics).

And for upper fret access it is hard to beat the SG. Getting to every note on mine is very easy.

The black G400 has Gibson 57 classic pickups' date=' which I fitted which give a good classic warm sound for ACDC, Black Sabbath type of good old school rock, i suppose you could call it good for 60's and 70's

[/quote']

I'm thinking of replacing mine . . . I take it you would highly recommend those for a G-400?

I've got a G-400 which I really really like but have been GASing over an Epi Les Paul Standard. I don't need one, I just want one. But I'm wondering if maybe I should hold off and save the money as I am not sure that I've liked any that I've played more than I like my G-400. Maybe I should just save for a while and get a Gibson SG Standard rather than spending money on an Epi LP right now.

I have an Epiphone G-400 Custom that has 3 pups setup with a stopbar tailpiece and I find it really versatile and lighter than any Epi Les Pauls I ever had the pleasure of playing. From my experiences with other SG's with stock pups, they sounded brighter and of course lightweight compared to LPs.

If those are the two characteristics that you're looking for, an SG might be your best bet.

Just to share with you guys:

P1050814.jpg?t=1277157857

i said its hot. but.

for me LPs are the hottest

best lookin guitars >:D

Agreed that Les Pauls are hot' date=' but Explorers are hotter still.

SGs just look [b']gay[/b]. That's right, all you fairies prancing about with your queer little SGs fail to realise just how gay you look.:-k

By gay I mean happy of course. And queer meaning strange. And fairies meaning.. I got nothing for that one. [biggrin]

That said, I wouldn't mind an SG custom... :-k It would go nicely with my dentist. *cough*

SGs just look gay. That's right' date=' all you [b']fairies[/b] prancing about with your queer little SGs fail to realise just how gay you look.:-k

That's coming off from a man who likes a guitar with banana-shaped headstock and has a display picture of an artist which looked like Claudio Sanchez from Coheed & Cambria, which happens to have a massive hairdo like Diana Ross and sings like a chipmunk.

The fact that the guitar has a phallic-shape headstock is enough to call it the most gay-looking guitar ever from Gibson.

Of course, when I said gay I meant carefree. *cough cough* [biggrin]

Agreed that Les Pauls are hot' date=' but Explorers are hotter still.

SGs just look [b']gay[/b]. That's right, all you fairies prancing about with your queer little SGs fail to realise just how gay you look.:-k

By gay I mean happy of course. And queer meaning strange. And fairies meaning.. I got nothing for that one. [biggrin]

That said, I wouldn't mind an SG custom... :-k It would go nicely with my dentist. *cough*

Strange from a man from a country where men are men and sheep are nervous

AH Pakeha - the other white meat

Strange from a man from a country where men are men and sheep are nervous

AH Pakeha - the other white meat

You'd understand if you'd ever seen our women. [biggrin]

By which I mean they're way out of the average Kiwi male's league. :-k

The fact that the guitar has a phallic-shape headstock is enough to call it the most gay-looking guitar ever from Gibson.

Of course' date=' when I said gay I meant carefree. *cough cough* :-k[/quote']

If yours looks like that, you got a problem, buddy. :D

If we're voting on the queerest guitar, I'll nominate the Gibson Corvus:

Gibson_Futura.jpg

I've played LPs all my life, but last year I grabbed a

STAGG G-300 TCH off ebay out of curiosity about SGs.

Seller was P.O.'d, my winning Bid was $100.00, had a

REALLY hard time getting guitar, in the end the seller is no

longer a registered user. (Another story...)

The Stagg actually had Epi G-400 pups in it, a "slim D profile"

set neck.

G_300_TCH.png

I played it, but for some reason, with the position the git hung on my body

it always seemed that to reachthe lower frets/nut I had to reach out an extra

"half a foot" to get there.

I'm sure it was just the way git hung due to strap button locations. With an LP,

reaching the nut was "natural/muscle memory". With the SG, my "feeling" was

that I had to reach out more to get there, (Like I had to put the guitar down and

WALK to the end of the neck, then make my chords), and I'm 6 foot tall with knuckles

that scrape the ground.

I LIKED the upper fret access, and the slim neck, just always noticed the "extra reach"

feeling. Eventually sold it to co-worker.

I've played LPs all my life' date=' but last year I grabbed a

STAGG G-300 TCH off ebay out of curiosity about SGs.

Seller was P.O.'d, my winning Bid was $100.00, had a

REALLY hard time getting guitar, in the end the seller is no

longer a registered user. (Another story...)

The Stagg actually had Epi G-400 pups in it, a "slim D profile"

set neck.

[img']http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt26/Animalfarm1984/G_300_TCH.png[/img]

I played it, but for some reason, with the position the git hung on my body

it always seemed that to reachthe lower frets/nut I had to reach out an extra

"half a foot" to get there.

I'm sure it was just the way git hung due to strap button locations. With an LP,

reaching the nut was "natural/muscle memory". With the SG, my "feeling" was

that I had to reach out more to get there, (Like I had to put the guitar down and

WALK to the end of the neck, then make my chords), and I'm 6 foot tall with knuckles

that scrape the ground.

I LIKED the upper fret access, and the slim neck, just always noticed the "extra reach"

feeling. Eventually sold it to co-worker.

Try a real SG - either Epi or Gibby and you'll notice how much better they are than a knockoff.

try out both and see which feels the best.

i haven't played an epi SG yet,but i played the standard,

and Good God it's a damn good piece of wood.

some people don't like the weight and maybe prefer the sg(the sg started out as a les paul custom,if you dunno.)

but i think the lack of weight compared to the les paul might makes the SG have less sustain than the les paul,but that is just my opinion.

both are roughly the same,and would have the same pickups.

out of my heart,i would go for the the les paul,but it depends on what feels right FOR YOU.

anyway,whatever you choose would rock.

it IS an epiphone ;)

have fun buying,and post pics when you get them (:

Archived