Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Firebird, are they really that good?

mrpink

I've been thinking of getting an Epphone Firebird and just read a few reviews, they all say how great they are, not one criticism at all. The demo's on Youtube also give high praise, especially for the Steinberger tuners. So I just wanted to double check with the people who know, "Are they really that great"?

The only one that would interest me is the Firebird VII with three mini-hums. The current model with 2 humbuckers is hardly any different from a G-400 except cosmetically --- same basic construction, scale length and electronics, very similar tone.

Parabar, I don't imagine Epi birds are built with a through body neck like the originals,

but what's your "take" on the bolt or set neck?

(Oringo has had a few versions too & I'd be interested in any thoughts "youze guys" would have)

Someday, somehow I'm getting a 6string bird, be it Epi or Orville to have alongside the '66 Gibby12string.

Answer to the post: Yes, Epi birds are that good especially with miniHBs.

I sure like playing my Epiphone Firebird VII:

Sany0092.jpg

It is not a neck-through, nor does it have the "banjo tuners". It does however have the mini-hums. I agree with Parabar ... while the current Firebird Studio is a good guitar, both playing and looking, it is just too similar to the SG tone-wise. I suppose all sorts of mods are available to change that ...

Jim

Thanks for your response. Especially the sounding like a G400, interesting. Would like to try before I buy so, think I'll wait till I see one in a store. Don't see many here in Wales, It's all Strat's and Metal Guitras.

If you can find them, the models that feature the mini humbuckers are the best. You can get a Firebird V, which has two mini humbuckers and a stop tailpiece, or the VII which has 3 mini humbuckers and the vibrato tailpiece.

Like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instruments/Instruments/Guitar-bass/Electric-guitars/auction-306612921.htm

Or Jim's VII above, and my old VII, below

MyFirebirdSmall01.jpg?t=1280394800

Sometimes I do miss that big old 'bird. She was certainly unique, not many of them around.

Avoid like the plague any of the bolt-on Epiphone Firebird Vs from the 1990s you may come across, (they have a metal plate on the heel..."Handcrafted in Korea for Epiphone, Nashville, TN etc, etc"............because they're crap.

OK, moving on to modern Epiphone Firebirds. I agree with some of the other posters here, they are very nice guitars. However, the extent to which the Epi Firebird Studio is a "Firebird" is debatable - set neck, full-sized humbuckers - I agree, a funny-shaped G-400. That's not a direct criticism of Epiphone, one could argue that the Gibson Firebird Studio was a funny-shaped SG.

The Epiphone Firebird VIIs are probably the best Firebird Epiphone has made in recent years.

I've thought about buying one...but I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to Firebirds...and the only way to satisfy that GAS on a budget is to go down the route of a used Gibson, I'm afraid. :-

I used to have a sunburst one, and I absolutely HATED the Steinburger tuners. I couldn't get them to hold heavier gauge stings than 9s, and I tend to use 12s or 13s. Major problem for me. They're also an odd size post-hole that I couldn't find a suitable replacement for. I traded it for my LPC and am much happier now.

I have an Epi Firebird 300 that I love. We had a love/hate relationship before...she was a $50 pawn shop find back in '95 when I was younger, but that Steinberger trem was a pain in the buttocks. Just this past year, I had it removed, a block of 'hog dropped in, respray and Tone Pros ToM/stop bar installed. Woohoo, flippin badass. She has 2 stock EMG Selects...bucker in the bridge, single in the neck...and they sound good...they're the older ones that say Select Designed by EMG, not the newer craptastic ones. Fit and finish are primo and she has just as much heft as my Gibby FB V. With the pups and the trem pulled, she looks to be neck thru as well, but she's painted black, so I can't really tell. Not a lot of info on the 300/500 models floating around out there. But...Epi Birds...nice indeed...just avoid the bolt ons.

I have my lefty Firebird VII for sale at the moment on Ebay if any left handers are interested. I love the guitar, but for me it is just way to uncomfortable to play.

It is a great guitar that has turned into a great piece of art work, so I'm hoping someone will buy it and utilize it to its fullest potential.

• 10 years later...

I had an Epi Firebird Vll, I screwed up and let it go. One guy that test played it showed me a chip in the finish only HE could have put there.  How in the F do you chip another man's guitar in a test play? More importantly HITF do you make them pay for a repair that will cost more than a USED guitar? Anyway the whammy bar on the 7 stinks, it's tone robbing IMHO, but then so are bolt on necks. The Firebird is a lead guitarist's guitar, the nexus (where the neck and body come together) are literally above the button on your jeans, not (for those in their "right mind") to the left at all. To me an SG (the original Les Paul) is mighty thin in tone, it's really an inexpensive axe; but it defiantly has a place in Rock, just like many other guitars we could all espouse. I just got a new Epi Firebird about 3 weeks ago. I really like it! Straight forward pick up switching. I will put an on board tuner in it later on (an IN TUNE tuner); I was fortunate enough to score several of these tuners from a sales person before the company went bust. There re new bridges and tail stops that promise better tone than the Tunamatic but I'm watching and waiting to see how they do.