Gibson Brands Forums

Picked up an MXR Classic Overdrive

Dub-T-123

LMAO!!!!!!!!! I guess thats what happens when you forget to put your glasses on and before your coffee.. I diddn't relaize it was a "classic overdrive" not the "classic distortion". Thanks for makeing those fonts bigger [flapper] Made it so much easier to read. I may just go over GC and check that out. Hell, the GT OD sells for $99 and $40 is a great deal for the same pedal.

I've done it too, and I'm 18 :unsure:

Most still have them, but yeah, when I bought mine, it was 29 bucks. Still, I love that pedal, it has a great sound

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMAO!!!!!!!!! I guess thats what happens when you forget to put your glasses on and before your coffee.. I diddn't relaize it was a "classic overdrive" not the "classic distortion". Thanks for makeing those fonts bigger [flapper] Made it so much easier to read. I may just go over GC and check that out. Hell, the GT OD sells for $99 and $40 is a great deal for the same pedal.

Yea, I would definitely check it out. I'm really digging it so far.

For those that are interested, there's also a switch on the circuit board that supposedly switches it over to the zakk wylde overdrive. I might take it apart at some point and wire in a toggle. Why not?

Haha you really must love Dunlop. I mean... Your cat is named Dunlop...

What kindof settings have you been using on your Big Muff?

Depends, sometime its cranked on volume, lower sustain. usually sustain is about 60% and volume is close to there. tone is around 45%.

I adopted my cat, and the girl who took care of him at the sheltar loved cars and named him after the tire brand. his brother's name is pirelli. I wish I could have met her, she sounded awesome...

I forgot you have a Classic OD too. How do you usually set that?

I have mine set like that last picture and the amp is running pretty clean just loud and a slight natural crunch when the guitar volume is dimed. Then I leave the pedal on and use the volume on my guitar a lot. It stays nice and clear but gives me a tasty little crunch and some more sustain and volume. Not ACDC crunch...

I forgot you have a Classic OD too. How do you usually set that?

I have mine set like that last picture and the amp is running pretty clean just loud and a slight natural crunch when the guitar volume is dimed. Then I leave the pedal on and use the volume on my guitar a lot. It stays nice and clear but gives me a tasty little crunch and some more sustain and volume. Not ACDC crunch...

Volume at 65%, gain at like 40% and tone at like 40%

I also use a distortion plus cranked output and distortion at like 70% and the swollen pickle is all over the place, depends on the mood

The Classic OD seems to sound best when you use the output to drive the amp. I have the output pretty low but it's actually a decent boost and it gives me some headroom to lower the guitar volume and still get full cleans or crank it and rock out.

I also run the treble a little high because I play on the neck pickup mostly. Keeps it from getting muddy because I use my friends amp and it's pretty "dark" sounding.

Nice settings by the way. I bet it's loud!

The Classic OD seems to sound best when you use the output to drive the amp. I have the output pretty low but it's actually a decent boost and it gives me some headroom to lower the guitar volume and still get full cleans or crank it and rock out.

I also run the treble a little high because I play on the neck pickup mostly. Keeps it from getting muddy because I use my friends amp and it's pretty "dark" sounding.

Nice settings by the way. I bet it's loud!

[blush] Yeah... that's how I do it, loud and in your face. nothing subtle about it

I jammed with my friend tonight and I forgot the power adapter for my Big Muff so I used an old almost dead battery. It sounded so much better than with the adapter it was awesome. I was in total fuzz heaven. Try it!

Only problem was that there was a volume drop when the Muff was on even though the volume was cranked all the way up. There was a volume drop but the tone was awesome.

It sounded better than it ever has before. Makes me wonder if there's a power supply where you can lower the amount of juice going to each pedal so you can get that sound without dealing with batteries..

I jammed with my friend tonight and

I forgot the power adapter for my Big Muff so I used an old almost dead battery. It sounded so much better than with the adapter it was awesome. I was in total fuzz heaven. Try it!

Only problem was that there was a volume drop when the Muff was on even though the volume was cranked all the way up. There was a volume drop but the tone was awesome.

It sounded better than it ever has before. Makes me wonder if there's a power supply where you can lower the amount of juice going to each pedal so you can get that sound without dealing with batteries..

You never knew about that? You get the nicest fuzz pedal you can, then throw the shittiest batteries in it. There are some power supplies (Voodoo or something) that you can factor in a power sag to emulate it. Mine doesn't have an adaptor so I have to use batteries, even though I would anyways. I found a really old battery and put it in the Classic Overdrive and was getting some decent fuzz tones from that!

I thought everyone knew that for fuzzes, good you know now though [thumbup]

Has any modded the class overdrive by putting a swich to toggle between the GT OD and the Zak Wylde pedal?

I haven't yet. I'm going to be running to Radio Shack shortly to grab some parts for other mods. I'm gonna grab an extra toggle while I'm there and put it in there while I got the case open. Why not?

I haven't yet. I'm going to be running to Radio Shack shortly to grab some parts for other mods. I'm gonna grab an extra toggle while I'm there and put it in there while I got the case open. Why not?

Yea, I may do the same. I just picked one up at my local GC, was lucky as they only had one left. The guy was cool enough to give it to me for $29.00, as new in the box. These are hard to get by now.

I've known about the mod but have no idea how to go about it...will a guitar tech do it? Can a guy like me with no soldering exp.accomplish this?

I've known about the mod but have no idea how to go about it...will a guitar tech do it? Can a guy like me with no soldering exp.accomplish this?

If you want to install a toggle, I would recommend practicing up a bit on your soldering first. Removing components from a circuit board is fairly easy, but if you're not careful you can damage the barrels on the board.

I would imagine a tech would do that for you.. I don't see why not.

If you don't mind paying shipping, I would be happy to put it in for you.

I knew I just forgot how awesome it sounds. I have a little adapter that clips on the 9-volt battery plug thing.

As for the switch mod.. The switch is already in there you just have to take the pedal apart to get to it. You don't just take off the backplate you have to take off the knobs and unscrew the pots and footswitch and remove the board and everything. I had a good link with pictures I'll go find it and post it here.

As for the switch mod.. The switch is already in there you just have to take the pedal apart to get to it. You don't just take off the backplate you have to take off the knobs and unscrew the pots and footswitch and remove the board and everything. I had a good link with pictures I'll go find it and post it here.

Yea, I'd like to put an external toggle switch on though. So I can flip it at will without taking everything apart.

Archived