Gibson Brands Forums

Picked up an MXR Classic Overdrive

Dub-T-123

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you make that video? If so, nice!

Jantha I think I might do that external switch mod. Thanks for the awesome idea!

Thanks! Yea, I made it. Was attempting to do some slide guitar, but didn't turn out the way I wanted, and not too happy with the sound. I used the camcorder microphone instead of using a Shure SM 57 or Sennheiser e609 that I normally use.

If you want to install a toggle, I would recommend practicing up a bit on your soldering first. Removing components from a circuit board is fairly easy, but if you're not careful you can damage the barrels on the board.

I would imagine a tech would do that for you.. I don't see why not.

If you don't mind paying shipping, I would be happy to put it in for you.

Really? I'd really appreciate that, I'll throw you some money for labor as well.

I was just thinking in the upper left corner.. right above where the existing switch is on PCB. I'm gonna head out to a few places tomorrow to see how small of a toggle switch I can find. If I can find a small slide switch, I might go with that instead.

BTW, another option for quicker battery leak ie "almost dead battery" is a carbon zinc 9 volt usually labeled as "Heavy Duty" or "Super Heavy Duty". I have had one in my 69 fuzz for two months and I play 3-4 hours every day and it gives you that saggy sound.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Josh..

Is this the type of battery you're talking about?

photo-79.jpg

This is the battery that I've had in my Big Muff. The one that I said sounds really good. It's actually not almost dead like I thought. The pedal seriously sounds better than ever before though.

By the way I just ordered my Fuzz Factory. It ships out Monday I can't wait!

Sorry it took so long to reply. Yes that is the battery I'm talking about, real cheap. You can find em' at the dollar store and some might even say carbon zinc. They are more likely to be labeled "Heavy Duty" or "Super Heavy Duty" and usually have a warning about mixing with alkaline batteries. I hope my geekiness on this subject has helped...your fuzz will thank you!

Cheers!

J

Yeah that battery made my Big Muff sound better than ever. I found those batteries in the dollar bin at the store that I work at.

My Fuzz Factory came with a super heavy duty battery in it. I just run the MXR OD with my adapter by the way.

Now I have two new pedal threads up at the same time. Everyones gonna think I'm crazy.

Archived