Gibson Brands Forums

Picked up an MXR Classic Overdrive

Dub-T-123

I've heard a lot of good reveiws and my GC had some in stock so I decided to pick one up. I figured I could try it out for 30 days and return it if I didn't like it.

For those of you that don't know they cost about $40.

I'm impressed! It sounds like classic overdrive lol. It doesn't really affect the tone of my amp (which I like). It just adds some sustain and dirt.

I recommend you guys check it out. It's a solid pedal that sounds great and has true bypass. It also has a "secret switch" inside which you can flip to change the characteristics of the pedal.

Here's a quick little pic..

photo-64.jpg

yeah the gain is cranked all the way up. I was havin a little fun.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite pedals right now, it adds some girth to the sound. I am considering picking up at least one more, keep one for more of a clean boost, and one for just added some dirt. For 29 bucks, they can't be beat. I am really gassing for a VOX AC4TV and I want to just install one of these on the amp for a little dirt while practicing at lower levels

So, this pedal... Is it like an in-store exclusive thing? I couldn't find the pedal on Guitar Center's website. I'm looking for an OD, and $29 is pretty sweet.

Yes, only in store, and they might not have some. I believe its a limited edition thing or something, not even an official pedal from MXR. It is amazing sounding though. I am told it is very similar to the GT OD, a custom shop pedal from them

I thought they were $29 but when I got it it was $39... I'm not really complaining.

Glad you like yours Fred. If you get another one you should do the "switch mod" on it. From what I understand it adds a little more gain and flattens out the eq a little bit.

I haven't tried an ac4tv but I like my ac30 a lot so I bet it's a cool little amp.

I haven't used it with my band though because we split up [crying]

I thought they were $29 but when I got it it was $39... I'm not really complaining.

Glad you like yours Fred. If you get another one you should do the "switch mod" on it. From what I understand it adds a little more gain and flattens out the eq a little bit.

I haven't tried an ac4tv but I like my ac30 a lot so I bet it's a cool little amp.

I haven't used it with my band though because we split up [crying]

I really like the ac4, you should check it out. I love the overdriven tube sounds you can get from it at low volumes.

The cleans are good, but with the volume knob a little past 12 o clock is where it shines IMO

Does it have a 12 inch speaker?

After everything I heard about the Champ I was seriously let down. I'm sure the old ones are better though. The GA5 or whatever sounds pretty sweet.

The Champ just sounds weak IMO. Weak clean and weaker overdrive.

Does it have a 12 inch speaker?

After everything I heard about the Champ I was seriously let down. I'm sure the old ones are better though. The GA5 or whatever sounds pretty sweet.

The Champ just sounds weak IMO. Weak clean and weaker overdrive.

I believe the combo is your choice of an 8 or 10, but a head and cab makes it a 12"

Champ was kinda weak, the Gretsch (whatever model it is for their 5 watt amp) sounded wayyyyy better

• 2 months later...

I'm gonna dig up an old thread...

I grabbed one of these from GC today for $39. So far, I gotta say that this is one great pedal, and the price is unbeatable (almost).

I can't put the SG down.. I'm loving the tone.

Has anyone here messed with the secret switch inside?

I really like the ac4, you should check it out. I love the overdriven tube sounds you can get from it at low volumes.

The cleans are good, but with the volume knob a little past 12 o clock is where it shines IMO

Best demo IMHO

I've heard a lot of good reveiws and my GC had some in stock so I decided to pick one up. I figured I could try it out for 30 days and return it if I didn't like it.

For those of you that don't know they cost about $40.

I'm impressed! It sounds like classic overdrive lol. It doesn't really affect the tone of my amp (which I like). It just adds some sustain and dirt.

I recommend you guys check it out. It's a solid pedal that sounds great and has true bypass. It also has a "secret switch" inside which you can flip to change the characteristics of the pedal.

Here's a quick little pic..

photo-64.jpg

yeah the gain is cranked all the way up. I was havin a little fun.

That pedal is actually an MXR Distortion III but in a different box. Same circuit board.

607141.jpg

Its the GT OD. They released a distortion pedal a while ago which I believe was a remarked Distortion III.

Just sayin', this one is an overdrive pedal

The classic distortion is a "distortion III" pedal. The circuit board part number is the same as the distortion III. In fact the circuit board layout are identical, even the sound. You can google and even youtube this topic and all will confirm its the same pedal, some even showing the circuit board. The GT OD is an entirely different pedal.

The classic distortion is a "distortion III" pedal. The circuit board part number is the same as the distortion III. In fact the circuit board layout are identical, even the sound. You can google and even youtube this topic and all will confirm its the same pedal, some even showing the circuit board. The GT OD is an entirely different pedal.

And we are talking about the classic overdrive, which like the GT OD, a completely different pedal [biggrin]

And we are talking about the classic overdrive, which like the GT OD, a completely different pedal [biggrin]

LMAO!!!!!!!!! I guess thats what happens when you forget to put your glasses on and before your coffee.. I diddn't relaize it was a "classic overdrive" not the "classic distortion". Thanks for makeing those fonts bigger [flapper] Made it so much easier to read. I may just go over GC and check that out. Hell, the GT OD sells for $99 and $40 is a great deal for the same pedal.

I've never been a big pedal guy but recently bought a Bixonic Expandora.

I find that it works very well with one of my guitars (PRS SC245), pretty good with another (Gibson Byrdland) but doesn't really have much of an effect upon another (PRS Custom 22).

The CU22 pickups provide a crunchy sound alone and the difference with or without the pedal is very, very subtle.

But with the SC245 it is quite pronounced. The Byrd becomes a bit more prone to feedback and squealing with the pedal on but it does give that guitar a bit more low-end grunt.

I find that if I run my Peavey Classic 50 with the gain set to about 9/12 in conjunction with the pedal that I get the sound I like (with the two guitars).

I can see how trying out different pedals could be addictive!

LMAO!!!!!!!!! I guess thats what happens when you forget to put your glasses on and before your coffee.. I diddn't relaize it was a "classic overdrive" not the "classic distortion". Thanks for makeing those fonts bigger [flapper] Made it so much easier to read. I may just go over GC and check that out. Hell, the GT OD sells for $99 and $40 is a great deal for the same pedal.

I've done it too, and I'm 18 :unsure:

Most still have them, but yeah, when I bought mine, it was 29 bucks. Still, I love that pedal, it has a great sound

Archived