Gibson Brands Forums

Jeff Beck

Hallop

Whether you like his music or not, once you see him play, you will realize that he is probably the most accomplished rock guitarist alive.

I highly recommend renting the DVD "Live At Ronnie Scotts". I rented it, and then bought it. The camera operator must be a guitarist, because he zooms in on Jeff's hands at the right moment when he is doing something that most mortal guitarists simply cannot do.

I've been a professional musician all my life. My main axe is sax (I double on guitar) so I've had the opportunity to work with some of the best guitarists in the business. My jaw doesn't drop easily. When I saw the DVD, my jaw was on the floor. Incredible.

Notes ♫

Saw Jeff Beck at the Paramount Theater in Asbury Park, New Jersey back this past June where he appeared with amazing opening act Imelda May. I grew up learning guitar by wearing out records by Beck, Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Martin Barre, early Peter Frampton (Humble Pie), Leslie West, Duane Allman...etc and Beck was one of the few I had not seen live. With a strat and his right hand palming the tremolo the man makes sounds and fluid melody lines and shimmering chords that sound somewhere between hawaiian lap steel to a moog synthesizer. You have to see him do it to understand, he is an absolute unique individual. I only wish I had seen him back in the Blow by Blow days when he played that 56 Les Paul. If you get a chance see him, its' something you won't see from anyone else!

I heard him asked in an interview recently why he doesn't use a pick when he plays. He said something along the line of that would leave several perfectly good fingers just hanging there, doing nothing. I'm not a big fan, but he is a genius at playing guitar.

Whether you like his music or not, once you see him play, you will realize that he is probably the most accomplished rock guitarist alive.

I highly recommend renting the DVD "Live At Ronnie Scotts". I rented it, and then bought it.

Notes ♫

Completely agree

Archived