Gibson Brands Forums

Ebony Fretboards

bobrollar

Playing a guitar with an ebony fretboard for the past 10 years has gotten me spoiled i think. I have played on some other types of necks but i just cant seem to get that same tone and feel as an ebony fretboard. Didn't know what everyone else thought about them. [confused]

sgfretboard.jpg

I'm a bit like Dub in that I doubt I would be able to tell the difference in tone even if my life depended on it.

I have played quite a few and love the feel, though, and, aesthetically, I find it very pleasing. It's probably no accident that my LP's all have very, very dark rosewood boards...

I've only owned an ebony-board guitar once and then only for a couple of weeks (unfortunately it was one of Norlin's LP Custom dogs).

I like ebony fingerboards more than others. My Martin D-35, Emmons 12-string, and Hernadis Classical guitars all have

ebony fingerboards and they feel so different than both rosewood and/or maple. My former Gibson Les Paul Custom had an ebony fingerboard and it played much different/better than my current Les Paul Standard which is rosewood. However the rosewood fingerboads on my Epiphone Sheraton II and Les Paul Standard are very dark

and tight grained compared to some rosewood fingerboards I've seen. Maybe that's another reason I selected those when I bought them. My newest guitar, Gibson CS-336 has

a rosewood fingerboard which is how can I say, different and way better than any other rosewood fingerboard I've ever played. Supposedly real select rosewood, according

to Gibson specs. It plays great! :) I've had some Fender electric guitars with maple fingerboards and I didn't like those fingerboards at all. Actually their not

even fingerboards at all. It's part of the guitar neck with the frets put into it. If I ever get another Fender (I doubt it, but who knows) it's got to have a

rosewood fingerboard. Someone in the thread mentioned something about playing a Strat with an ebony neck. [confused] I've never seen a Fender with an ebony neck; especially a Strat. But hey, that doesn't mean that one may exist. A mutant!!! :o

Archived