Gibson Brands Forums

John Frusciante

ShredAstaire

I've really been getting into his music lately....i dont like a lot of acoustic singer/songwriter stuff but this guy has a way about him that has sucked me in.

I tried to check him out a few years ago but was too into metal for it to hit me...he's a really good player (not virtuostic though) and plays with some real emotion...i like it a lot more than I thought I would....its calming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zf0XT3KnD8

I think that was the heroin. :)

Well, the just a t-shirt album was recorded before he was smacked out.

Very fascinating cat if you start reading up on him. I get a Syd Barrett vibe from some of his stuff.

Well, the just a t-shirt album was recorded before he was smacked out.

Very fascinating cat if you start reading up on him. I get a Syd Barrett vibe from some of his stuff.

Hehe yeah i've been doing some reading and learning more. I'm digging what I am hearing. I guess I meant virtuoso as someone would describe someone like SRV or someone like that...he doesn't have the same vibe as many others that you may call a virtuoso, ya know?

Cool stuff....diving in deep!

I am a huge fan! He is one of my all time favorite guitar players. A brilliant musician and songwriter. For those that are only familiar with his work with RHCP, he also has many solo albums that are steller. Shadows Collide With People is one of his best. He is lucky to be alive after overcoming his brutal heroin addiction. Amazingly, he didn't even own a guitar for a while until Anthony Kiedis bought him a Strat and encouraged him to get clean. Sadly, he left RHCP but is still writing and recording music on his own.

I guess I meant virtuoso as someone would describe someone like SRV or someone like that...he doesn't have the same vibe as many others that you may call a virtuoso, ya know?

I guess that's what I was getting at too. Guys like SRV seem like they are in a different league. That's not meant as an insult on my end either. Ask anyone I know which guitarist I blather on about the most, and they'll say John Frusciante. He's just pure style if you ask me.

Haven't really given any of his solo stuff any real attention, and I never liked RHCP very much either (and yes, I've bought and listened to a few of their albums.)

Just listening to this piece that you posted, I didn't really like it very much. Oh well. I guess I'm just too stupid to understand it. :(

Just listening to this piece that you posted, I didn't really like it very much. Oh well. I guess I'm just too stupid to understand it. :(

Don't feel bad. It's not for everyone. I don't get SRV. Does that make me any less a person?

Don't feel bad. It's not for everyone. I don't get SRV. Does that make me any less a person?

YES!!!!! :(

On a serious note, I like his stuff with rhcp, never listened to solo stuff. I'm way too into heavy blues right now, trying to find lighter stuff to listen to

John is my favorite guitarist. Check out his new solo album, The Empyrean, it is very good. He might be underrated as his style is more understated than many. While Flea & Anthony received the spotlight in RHCP, they suffered dramatically when John left. It will be interesting to see what they come up with now that he has left again.

Archived